Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:26 pm 

Hey Bernard
I have a Wadia I no longer use. Works fine and it does charge the iPod. Would be willing to sell it to you for a nominal sum. DM me if you’re interested.
Thanks
Ian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:53 pm 

giantbunnyhead wrote:
Tom_r wrote:
There must be different versions of the i20. I have four of them in the house and none of them charge my iPod Classic. I always cradle my iPod in my Wadia to charge. I had my buddies KID for a while ... sure did sound nice!!

Back to the OP, a dollar to a doughnut that Apple had a higher licensing fee if you wanted the base/cradle to be able to charge the iPod.

I also use an i20 and it charges my ipods and iphones quite quickly. I actually use it as a charger more often than to play music with!

Thanks. I'll have to check my iPod, perhaps the contacts need cleaning.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:24 am 

Tom_r wrote:
There must be different versions of the i20. I have four of them in the house and none of them charge my iPod Classic. I always cradle my iPod in my Wadia to charge. I had my buddies KID for a while ... sure did sound nice!!

Back to the OP, a dollar to a doughnut that Apple had a higher licensing fee if you wanted the base/cradle to be able to charge the iPod.

I suspect you are right about this. The pin configuration could also be different?

All devices work well using my trust Bose soundDock Portable

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:26 am 

Re the PURE i-20 and charging :

There is a bug in some versions of iPod software which causes the iPod not to recognize that some devices want to charge it. A beep and a warning dialog, with a yellow triangle, may or may not show up when the handshake fails.

My iPod Touch 3G is an example of this. To get it to charge on my PURE i-20, I have to reseat the iPod repeatedly until the warning no longer appears. At that point the battery icon at top right shows a little lightning bolt, and the device does actually charge.

This annoying bug is quite aside from the fact that some devices are made so they will take the iPod's signal but won't charge the battery.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:42 am 

Pure speculation, unless you actually have something to back it up.

Tom_r wrote:
... a dollar to a doughnut that Apple had a higher licensing fee if you wanted the base/cradle to be able to charge the iPod.

There is no indication I can find, after a short search, that there were different models of the i-20.

Quote:
There must be different versions of the i20. I have four of them in the house and none of them charge my iPod Classic.

OTOH there are different models of iPod Classic. The PURE website no longer gives access to info on the i-20, but the user manual is online at a few places. It states that three models of Classic are supported.

Also, a friend is using a Classic 80GB video ( Gen. 6 ) with a PURE i-20. FWIW the internal drive in this iPod has been replaced with a couple of SD cards, for a total storage capacity of 128GB. There is no problem charging at all.

@durand, this post from the Apple discussions site may address your problem :

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5440790

finally we found a charger that it did work with. an old one which they have had in the shop for years! since my ipod classic, which was purchased back in march 2008, all of the internal workings of later adapters, not ipods have been changed. consequently, none will work with the old 6th generation ipod classic, which is now considered vintage.

The Insten 30-pin cradle you are trying to use may be old enough, but out of spec. Or it may not be old enough !

IME a PURE i-20 will indeed work well with your Gen. 6 iPod Classic. They are getting harder to find, though. If you do find a dock which will work with your device, I hope you will be able to find a moment to post the news.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:50 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

milag wrote:
Yiorgos wrote:
Hi
I am not familiar with this product in your picture but since you mention your love for ipod classic . Why don't you look for the best digital ipod dock ,the Wadia 170i. Another one really nice is the Krell KID ,although if my understanding is correct that one is not digital.
George

Wow, I,ve had nothing but problems with that wadia 170i. This is so much easier to play with...

https://www.crutchfield.ca/S-HpheWM9qmd ... ug=9000265
I am the exact opposite.

Loved my Wadias, worked flawlessly, so does my friend who still has his.

The Cambridge ones were nothing but trouble.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:52 am 

A friend has a stock iPod Classic 80 GB 6th generation and it charges on my Pure i20 and his Zeppelin.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:14 am 

Che Cavolo wrote:
Yiorgos wrote:
Hi
I am not familiar with this product in your picture but since you mention your love for ipod classic . Why don't you look for the best digital ipod dock ,the Wadia 170i. Another one really nice is the Krell KID ,although if my understanding is correct that one is not digital.
George

The Wadia does not charge, but I understand the Pure Audio does. It looks like there are several different models from Insten, some may not charge...

I still have my Wadia 170i ,although I don't use it anymore because there are a lot better and elegant solutions instead but I recall when I used it (at least 7 years ago) it charged fine.
George

-- 14 Apr 2018 16:19 --

milag wrote:
Yiorgos wrote:
Hi
George

Wow, I,ve had nothing but problems with that wadia 170i. This is so much easier to play with...

https://www.crutchfield.ca/S-HpheWM9qmd ... ug=9000265

Wow I am sorry to hear about your issue with Wadia dock. Mine worked fine all the time ,although I no longer use it since I installed a mac mini server. The only issue I recall with the Wadia 170i was the remote control was a little hard to navigate the playlists,so instead I was using the buttons on the ipod docked on the Wadia . I also used a Sonos wireless ipod dock for a while and that was nice too.
Wadia as a company was one of the leaders in digital ,I don't think Cambridge was in the same league or the Pure Audio brand.
Thanks
George