Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:43 am 
Premium User

Visions has them on sale for $68. I've only listened to them for a couple of hours but they seem to be pretty high quality although they are my first pair of quality in-ear phones and have no comparative experience.

The one caveat, and I knew this beforehand because almost every online reviewer mentions it, is that you'll most likely have to trash the stock foam earpads as they are just too damn big. The drivers have a fairly large housing (there are 2 drivers per side) which doesn't leave much room for the foam pad thickness.

The store I bought them at knew of the problem and gave me a small pack of 5 different earpads. One of the small ones fit the housing well but didn't really seal in my ear that well. The one pair that did seal really well kept coming off on the RH side so I'm searching online for M200 owners reviews who mention they found a good replacement pad.

The volume control / mute doesn't work on laptops, only iPhones/Pads but some Android users have said it worked on their phones, others not. Not sure if the inline mic works on laptops or just the iPhone.

EDIT: The mute works on my LG G4 but not the volume controls. Will let you know about the mic.

Unfortunate for a big company like KEF to not have worked the earpad issue out as they're really a nice sounding in-ear phone.

Recommended

Attachments:
new_kef_m200.jpg
new_kef_m200.jpg [ 52.02 KiB | Viewed 904 times ]
kef_m200_view.jpg
kef_m200_view.jpg [ 14.75 KiB | Viewed 904 times ]

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:36 pm 
Premium User

Found a set of tips for the Kefs that are comfortable and seal pretty well: Comply Comfort 600's fit nicely in my ear canal and seal pretty well. Not as good a seal as silicone but better than the few others I tried that were supplied in the store kit with the 'phones.

They've now been used about 6 hours and I'm using the mint cond, new to me, Antique Sound Labs HB1 (with JJ Tubes EL84s) & with a 3.5 mm to 1/4" adapter from The Source for the first time since I found it online a few days ago. At first it sounded a little sterile but after letting in warm up for a couple of hours then plugging the 'phones back in it sounds very nice. Not SOTA but much better than I'm used to over my G4. Listening to Nina Simone's Little Girl Blue on CD from a mediocre Toshiba HD-DVD player. I won't make a comparison yet until I get a better digital front-end which is the next gear purchase @shawnwes.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:51 am 

These should have come with the Comply eartips, there is even a sticker on the box advertising it. You must have bought an old stock if it didn't. They added the Comply tips after all the complaints built up about the stock eartips.

There is no hiding that these earphones have nozzles that are just too wide to fit comfortably. They require a lot of twisting and shoving to get a proper fit, and then they have a tendency to wriggle out. That's why they have dropped the price so low, it is always a struggle to get them in and keep them there.

But once they are in place: wow! Isolation is terrific, soundstage is wonderful, bass extension is full and life-like, and overall they have terrific imaging and presence. These are really great earphones. Upper midrange is a little soft and I could wish for a more detailed treble extension, but overall they are just terrific sounding earphones and a really enjoyable listen.

For the price they are phenomenal, and compete with must more expensive earphones, especially if you prioritize soundstage and imaging. Kef's driver-in-driver design, which is so effective with their loudspeakers, has ultimately created a great sounding earphone that is just too big for the average ear canal. Too bad.