Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:50 am 

Can anyone recommend decent headphones/microphone setup for gaming? I wish to get my son some but am lost in this category. Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:21 am 

I use HiFiMan HE400S or Monolith 1060 and a lapel mic personally. But for all in one, only really Sennheiser is making decent stuff.

PC 360 are plenty for most ganers. G4ME Ones are great with the GSX 1000 DAC/Amp if you're going all out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:41 am 

What’s your budget? Is it for gaming on a console (Xbox/PS4) or PC. USB or phono plug? Problem with many gaming oriented headphones is the design may concentrate more on aesthetics or DSP sound effects than actual audio quality. Build quality can also be a bit of a miss. And many have absolute sh!t microphones!

An alternative is an actual hi-fi related headphone then adding a separate microphone such as the Modmic (see link). Downside is you are now running 2 wires to your sound card but with a little clever cable management this shouldn’t be an issue. In this case the headphone could be used for listening to music – and if your son wishes to listen to music on the go, he won’t get bizarre looks with a bloody big microphone attached to the side of his head. Just remove the mic and all is cool!

https://antlionaudio.com/

HarwareCanucks (no affiliation to Canuck Audio) reviews quite a few gaming headphones. All subjective of course but might be worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... vWoxBhtiK3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:06 am 

I am actually looking for one pair USB (for a PS4) and one pair 3.5mm for a PC. Budget $100 to $150 per pair.