Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:58 pm 

Gooday,

I would like to stream music (via premium spotify or tidal) from a smartphone (iphone5, galaxy 5, galaxy notepad,etc) to my audio system. What do you recommend is the best way to connect it for best audio. My audio system does not support digital input - analog components in one system and bryston sp1.7 in another. Thinking an external dac with rca cables as figure headphone jack to preamp analong rca inputs would be inferior? Other options? Recommendations of any specific components would also be good. It will be used for casual listensing so maybe no more than $300 retail on components.

Thanx,tom.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:14 pm 

there are many ways to do this.
I would suggest looking into a streaming device that you would control with the phone instead of streaming from the phone. Marketplace is full of them. the user interface would be the most important aspect in this price range, considering your post.
look at Sonos. The connect is over your budget at $450 but it is an excellent device and more importantly foolproof to use. The Bryston should have optical inputs that you could connect to but even RCA out is not bad on them and you can always add a dac later.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:27 pm 

bryfan wrote:
Gooday,

I would like to stream music (via premium spotify or tidal) from a smartphone (iphone5, galaxy 5, galaxy notepad,etc) to my audio system. What do you recommend is the best way to connect it for best audio. My audio system does not support digital input - analog components in one system and bryston sp1.7 in another. Thinking an external dac with rca cables as figure headphone jack to preamp analong rca inputs would be inferior? Other options? Recommendations of any specific components would also be good. It will be used for casual listensing so maybe no more than $300 retail on components.

Thanx,tom.

Hi Tom

If it's specific to the iphone 5 you'll just have to do some google searches. I bought one for the 3&4 many years ago and it sits on the stereo stand loaded with specific music (Jimmy Buffet I'm sad to say). Mine was apple. Quality is quite good, RCA out. You can find them used/refurbished and very cheap now. For the others, yes the headphone jack will work depending on how much you care about the audio quality, or not.

https://www.cnet.com/products/apple-iph ... ion/specs/

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:33 pm 

A $20 Bluetooth adapter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:50 pm 

Hi Tom you may want to look at Chrome cast works great from my tablet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:31 pm 

Stream from the phone to an Apple Airport Express (under 100 dollars). It works for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:36 pm 

Chromecast, I have two of them and they work very well. You can buy them for less than 50 bucks, taxes in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:57 pm 

The airport express should work as would any of Apple TV using airplay from iTunes on the iPhone. I use my expresses around the house but that's over the home wireless network from my Mac. The iPhone controls that playback. And if you get a system with digital input the airport express has optical digital out..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:17 pm 

Hi,

Binkythecat has the answer. More specifically, Logitech makes a Blue-tooth audio receiver for about $25 on Amazon that has RCA outputs to connect to your analog stereo. I got one for my son-in-law who was Blue-toothing his playlists from a streaming service via his iphone to an orange mono "Bose' box and I said, why not get some hi-fi going here?

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:45 pm 

I've been using an AQ Dragonfly connected to the phone's USB port with an OTG cable, streaming through an app that bypasses the Android DAC in the phone. Sounds not bad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:49 pm 

Since you'll be using the streaming service for casual listening then you don't need to spend more than $10 for a stereo RCA/3mm cable. Canada Computers and other stores of the like will have what you need.

The downside is the phone/tablet would be your source, so you'd have to go to it to change songs/albums etc. versus the convenience of controlling the music remotely from the device to a Bluetooth receiver.

I had been using the Tidal app on the iPhone/iPad connected to the system via a bog standard RCA/3mm cable and it sounded quite fine for casual listening. Using the app settings for highest quality audio over wifi the sound was more than adequate for more intense listening sessions.

Take the other $290 and get some records. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:58 pm 

+1 on the Chromecast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:49 am 

Thanks everybody for your answers and insight. I have bought the google chromecast audio!

Thanx,tom.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:40 am 

I bought Logitech's bluetooth adapter. Works well enough, under $50. Remember you get what you pay for but for the money it does a decent job.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:54 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

In the store, we use Mainstream (iEast) Omni and Omni +. They are $199 and $349. They have their own control app and have Tidal, Spotify, VTuner and about 10 other streaming services baked in. They are multiroom and airplay compatible. I use Roon and Tidal to multiroom (multi system) with them in the store.