Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Jean-Michel Jarre
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:48 am 

Did anyone attend last week's JMJ concert at Toronto's Sony Center for Performing Arts?

Man, what a rush. A 68-year old shaking the house to it's foundations with sound and light. This youtube video is pretty indicative of the event:

https://youtu.be/oDbbUvMBNco?t=18

The hall was full Caucasian geezers, mostly of eastern-European extraction but didn't stop my 10-year old daughter from soaking in every note and laser beam; it was her first live show ever and it made a huge impression on her. As for me, a for-life fan of Jarre's music, it was a revelation. Electronica wasn't my cup of tea when I first heard the albums but seeing it live, in combination with visual effects, really made a difference on my overall perception of those two albums.

Post subject: Re: Jean-Michel Jarre
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:08 am 

derekx wrote:
Did anyone attend last week's JMJ concert at Toronto's Sony Center for Performing Arts?

Man, what a rush. A 68-year old shaking the house to it's foundations with sound and light. This youtube video is pretty indicative of the event:

The hall was full Caucasian geezers, mostly of eastern-European extraction but didn't stop my 10-year old daughter from soaking in every note and laser beam; it was her first live show ever and it made a huge impression on her. As for me, a for-life fan of Jarre's music, it was a revelation. Electronica wasn't my cup of tea when I first heard the albums but seeing it live, in combination with visual effects, really made a difference on my overall perception of those two albums.

Too bad I did not know he was in town. He's definitely a legend.

Rega RP6 + Dynavector 10x5 > GCPH

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:17 am 

yrogins wrote:
derekx wrote:

Thanks for the footage. I was into JMJ's music when Oxegyne and Equinoxe came out- within a few years. Then, Zoologic came out and it was even more unique using all these different dialects made into music. Laurie Anderson was also involved with that album which was interesting.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:18 am 

Quote:

Crap, I would have given you a heads up had I noticed this forum... I just saw it today. So much for observation skills.

If the tour is successful - and so far it seems to be - he may be back; after all he's only 68 years young and the man is an Energizer bunny. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:05 am 

One of my colleagues went and she said it was the best show she has attended.
She also saw Aimee Mann a week earlier. So I'm super jealous.