Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:43 pm 

Stumbled across this yesterday and booked my ticket for the November 2 performance.

It's part of the Calgary Philharmonic "Fiesta! Latin American Festival". The program is comprised of Brazilian composer Heitor Villa-Lobos work "Bachianas" as well as Ravel's Bolero. Additionally there is some Latin American inspired music from Gershwin and Bernstein.

Looking forward to seeing Branford work in his second genre, that he's been doing a fair amount of in the last decade.

http://calgaryphil.com/event/branford-m ... as-bolero/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:56 am 

Interesting! I saw Branford Marsalis in Calgary years ago. Only at that time he was playing with Sting. So slight change this go round!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:11 pm 

Attachment:
CPO.jpg
CPO.jpg [ 214.72 KiB | Viewed 872 times ]

I attended the concert last month and really enjoyed the performance. I hadn't seen a live orchestra in many many years. Not as an adult, certainly. I sat well off to the right, which is shown below during warm up. The Jack Singer Hall also has a pipe organ, so one day I'd like to hear a recital there.

Attachment:
CPO_Warmup.jpg
CPO_Warmup.jpg [ 353.33 KiB | Viewed 872 times ]

The Jack Singer has pretty decent acoustics, with a huge diffuser on the ceiling above the orchestra. The string section was wonderful; around 40 members and just beautiful sound. Branford performed with soprano saxophone, and from my seat I was able to absorb the fabulous tone he creates without reliance on a PA. He's quite familiar with the Bachianas Brasileiras, having recorded some of it in the mid-80s on the "Romances for Saxophones" release.

Here's the thing, and I direct this to the members that are accustomed to classical performances. The applause requirements.

It was pretty much a full house, and the audience was really appreciative of the performances. So one piece would end, and the audience would applaud enthusiastically. Then the conductor would gesture for one soloist to rise, for more applause. Depending on the piece there was 2 or three soloists. We were led to applaud each, and then the conductor would have the orchestra rise for more applause ! This continued for pretty much each piece !

Is this a common practice ? Granted I am a classical noob, but having to applaud a few times (being led twice or three times) for one piece is a bit much.

Aside from that I really enjoyed it, the dynamics and tone of a live orchestra was a great experience.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:36 pm 

I would think there might also have been a lot of applause out of place, as per classical norms at least. During jazz performances the crowd will usually give a short applause after any performer does a little solo or run. In classical performance you are supposed to hold your applause for the end of the composition, even if there is a bit of silence in between movements. Usually a few in every crowd who don't realize this.
I go to a fair amount of classical performances, usually new music (20th, or 21st century composition), and the crowds for these are incredibly appreciative. There can be several minutes of applause when a piece finally finishes. The conductor, soloists and even composers may leave and come back to the stage several times for bows, all while standing ovations of continuous applause can approach 5 minutes or more. Hold the applause and then really let it all out at the end seems to be the norm.
Saw Branford at the Toronto Downtown jazz fest a couple years back, incredible show as usual.