Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:23 am 

Well, okay it was last night but I watched Kid Koala play a 90 minute set at the Guelph jazz festival. It was amazing! I've seen him play a couple of times, once with Bullfrog, and every time it's just so much fun. From the perfect late summer night (show was outside) to the fun loving vibe everyone seemed to be sharing, to the perfectly eq'd system. Seriously, not a gap in the whole range, and for a DJ set! As far as actually seeing this guy scratch, that's the real show. Last night he was playing 3 (I've seen him play up to 6) SL-1200's. All at the same time, while juggling and queuing up records and singing song lyrics, and dancing with and in the crowd. Also leading a conga line while managing a wireless sampler. All this with the biggest smile on his face, that only gets bigger if he screws up and has to make some comment about gravity being a harsh mistress. So if ever Kid Koala comes to your town get some tickets, and watch a true master at work. Until then check some stuff out on you tube. His "cover" , I guess, of moon river is awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:06 am 

I am jealous. Hope to see him in Van this nov. He is amazing on the turntables.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:24 am 

I saw Kid K in Guelph this summer at Hillside festival. Been a while, previous time I saw him was at least 10-15 years ago in Hamilton. Another turntablist who I really like is Fourtet aka. Keiren Hebden. He played Supercrawl festival in Hamilton last weekend. Incredible show, four tables, morphed from crowd pleasing rave like beats, to afrobeat fusion, then into avant jazz fusion and finally into experimental ambient fusion. What a set.
Someone else similar who I really enjoy is DJ Spooky. Seen him at Guelph jazz fest, Kitchener Open Ears fest, and Victoriaville Musique Actuelle fest. Easily my favourite DJ, as he can perform anything from 21st century electro-acoustic classical with a full symphony orchestra, to experimental leaning dance club parties, and even avant jazz fusion. Way cool. 8)

I couldn't go to Guelph last night, (my tenth wedding anniversary took precendence), but I am on my way there today, for my 16th year in a row of attendance. Yippeee. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:34 pm 

Interview on CBC
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/thursday-feb- ... -1.3972311

Recomended for Kid Koala fans,
and anyone who hears the genre "Turntablism" and thinks
"What the hell is that?"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:03 pm 

Saw him open for Radiohead in TO years ago. He killed it. I mean killed it.

Marc mc