Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:44 pm 

........started Listening to the Hip on CBC 2 outside on the pond patio but were rained out here in London,so we moved it inside...
.....I'd say Gord had us from Fiddlers Green on-wards,unless the song Poets was before,then that's where my Daughter and I got into it...
........honestly,up till last evening,I've never totally understood Gord and many of his out there lyrics?....then it suddenly occurred to me,watching him,maybe he works on a very intuitive level,as I'm sure he knows we will all overthink his words,and likley we do..

...Well certainly no over-thinking went on in Our House and at many others last night.....The 'Feel of the Show' was immediate from the very beginning....

I'm going to say that was one of the most Emotionally Charged Memorable Evenings of my life,with my Daughter and myself totally welcomed into Gord's Hip,the band playing exceptionally well,quite amazing considering Gord's life status,and likley his last play with the Boys,and beloved fans,even though he didn't want to call it his/their last concert...

........................... ....I was hit hard realizing the Courage & especially the Physical Stamina to even get up there and do a tour with his Brain condition,let alone a near 3 hr concert with 3 Encores!
..You made it Gord,you accomplished what you had to do,and got to say what you felt had to be said,I now have so much respect for Gord and his Life goals.

And my Hats off to his especially strong Spirit,& his Will to Push on,he's showed last eve,it was truly nothing short of amazing,putting the early comments in this thread,down where they belong,not even worthy of more comment.

The Grace and Dignity,of Gords demeanor,was Heartfelt,from all watching not forgetting to mention,in my CANADA,a Dying man Has a Voice,and from my Experience its usually Well Worth Listening to.

.............................................I'm sure most of what was & wasn't said,but was totally understood,from the get go,was that Gord WAS going to do this,to Finish this,& Everyone,present agreed consciously or unconsciously they/we were going to get him through this,one way or the other,as far as they could go,all starting right from the beginning of the tour.
I can't imagine the first pre-show motivations,among band members,his Doctor,the Energy needed to take that first night in hand,it all pretty much all shone through Gord,and whether it was possible?
Grace Under Pressure.
Upon seeing everyone on their feet,for the entire concert,WOW,I think that helped a lot,to get him started,and has kept Gord going throughout the tour,people were on their feet,and supporting him at every opportunity & stop in Canada...Respect.

...I like to think he Personally picked what was on the set list at each of their stops,remembering past concerts at those venues,and of course the fans,Gord loved his fans as much as they loved him,and this tour was Personal,no doubt about it.It Showed.Thanks.

..Being a former Green-Peace Member,we learned quickly our actions spoke WAY Louder than words,but Gords gift was being a Great Word-Smith,and his on stage antics,although at first puzzling many of us,worked well too,and I think he accomplished a lot this way.
It certainly served him well last night,when he caught our eye,and when he spoke.Well Served.
...and as we all know,when Gord saus something,he ain't likely to beat around the bush...so
I/we all knew it was going somewhere,as Gord first thanked,then later addressed the Prime Minister directly,in fact I felt I was right there with him,and saying out loud.... Say it Gord,Get it out,it has to be said.Thank you.
......................One more thing off the Bucket List Bro,well done Gordie!

...And watching how Gord handled himself,mustering up his very best self control,and being a man,on borrowed time,well if any of you think that was at all easy,please Think again!..Respect.

That's why I like Gord & the Hip,they make Us All Think,many times,as Canadian's Collectively,off hand,I can't recall any other bands that do this so well?

.....regarding Gord's Primal Scream,that was so very personal from my point of view,and I'm not too sure he wanted to share that one with us,but it came out,it had to,he's human,just like us.

My take,on that,I witnessed a man,finally humbled by his Life heading to its end,colliding head on,with His Very Strong Will to Live,not wanting His/Yours/My Life,and especially not having that Last night end.....None of us Likes Good-Byes...the 3rd Encore was Goodbye...Well said Gord,ya choked us up....We Love Ya..

In my opinion,Gord & the Bands gift,is/was to Share Our Canadian Identity with each other,to Always be sure of Who we are.
............................Well it was pretty obvious to us all last night Who We Were....All Canadian & ALL behind Gord,100%...Ya Made us Proud.

...and Share Gord & the Boys did,Gord,especially managing to bare his Kind Soul to us all,something I'm sure he has always wanted to do,all along,and he somehow found the way & the Courage to do it,many times last night,and during that Scream,look at him,he was Emotionally Wrestling,Fighting with all he had left on that one,because folks,I have to say this,Sadly its one he ain't going to beat,in fact None of us will either,but we haven't yet been faced with it.Count your Blessings.

Gord had no choice,and he Head butted it,and somehow Wrestled it right back down one last time,a show of will,which,was nothing short of amazing to watch,those moments stood still for me,and after showing us Himself,it in turn gave us a good hard look at Ourselves...Gord is a true friend,one that hangs in there,even when it gets Ugly.
No,don't misinterpret that,it wasn't at all part of Gords onstage actions,c'mon they're obvious,and all mostly mischievous Fun....or he makes us Think,or he Thinks!

.......The Tragically Hip,like RUSH,and others,in the wings have a Strong connection to many of us,and last night,my Daughter & I finally made our 'Connection',with Gord Downie & the Hip,welcoming us into the fold,feeling like we were Family,Truly Canadian,and so very Proud to say the Hip,will always,be remembered as 100% CANADIAN.....Well Done Boys,You made it Gord,I still don't know how you did it,maybe a little help from above,eh,but you showed us what you are made of,and any Soldier would be glad to have you have his back.No words can Express this,its in the eyes.

..................so uh Gord....whats next???..I know you're not done,you can take a day off,get back to us when your good-n-ready..but your Family needs you & you Need them..
.....................................I was Hoping Gord may have either been writing a book,(all along)or have some more Spoken/Out-Spoken Canadian Words to say to us all?
..............That was one hell of a Tour,and One concert that I'll never forget it,till its my time.
Altec Concert Kenny

Last edited by Kenny on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:27 pm 

nice post, Kenny. You summed it up for many of us.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:27 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

In the United States, fellow musician Eddie Vedder honored the band at a Pearl Jam concert in Chicago.
"There's something going on up north of the border tonight, and it involves somebody that we can say is a family member ... and I just want to send them our energy ... and wish the best to Mr. Gord Downie. We love you," Vedder told his audience.

Source http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/21/entertainment/canada-tragically-hip-singer-gord-downie-concert-trnd/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:07 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

The was great and it showed how strong Gord is . Not sure how many of us would have that amount of courage and hats off to Eddie. Saw the Hip twice at a small local bar here in Dartmouth back in 88 or 89 and thought they had the potential to move on to bigger and better things. God Bless Gord.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:26 am 
Premium User

We rented a curling club, had a 14x23 screen, a Christie 10k projector, and 4 QSCq10 speakers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:58 am 

Here's the link with Eddie Vedder honours Gord Downie and the Hip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J10F17ed9mo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:04 am 

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/m ... ncert.html

Surpassed only by a hockey game. Can't find the stat for sarsfest, had to be high also.

"Martyrs don't do much for me. Though I enjoy them vicariously. After you, no, after me. No, I insist, please, after me. Do I want to with all that charm? Do I want to?, twist my arm.... "

Big, big sing a long here on the deck with 23-60 year olds. Road Apples was one of my first CDs purchased, and my only Hip recording. It was right in 'that' time.I was never a big Hip fan. I have never listened to commercial radio. But somehow, every tune they performed was etched into my brain, I knew the words and the licks before they came out, I absorbed it some where along the way. For me, that all says something about them. Guess Who, Lightfoot, Tragically Hip.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:15 am 

Play the last track of "Man Machine Poem" in headphones, Fin.....
Then imagine the FL do it as a cover....the Hip's last(?) effort is a treasure that seems to be under appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:17 am 

weisbe wrote:
Then imagine the FL do it as a cover....the Hip's last(?) effort is a treasure that seems to be under appreciated.

Agreed. IMO front to back Man Machine Poem is one of their best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:24 am 

hfisher3380 wrote:
Mod Beat wrote:
I don't want to piss on anyone's cornflakes, but the singing is so bad, I can't watch it. If this is a National Celebration, Canadian culture is in bad shape. I tried to enjoy it ......

You should have stuck it out. He hit his stride around a half an hour in and kept getting stronger. Really gave it his all, emotional night. I'm not a HUGE Hip fan but boy am I glad I watched it.

Agree hfisher3380, there's one in every crowd, his loss if that's the only impression he got from the evening.
I saw the Hamilton show and Gord's vocals were good from start to finish. Best hip show iv'e ever seen, and I have been going on and off since '91. It seemed to me he was very emotional and it was affecting his vocals for the first few songs. Who can blame him. The emotion I was feeling just watching, I can't even begin to imagine how he was feeling up on stage, at the end of this tour, in his home town, after more than two decades, broadcast live to an entire nation, come on...almost unreal. The expectations, the performance, the emotional response...overwhelming. :cry: :D (happy cry)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:38 am 

newmusic wrote:
hfisher3380 wrote:
Mod Beat wrote:
I don't want to piss on anyone's cornflakes, but the singing is so bad, I can't watch it. If this is a National Celebration, Canadian culture is in bad shape. I tried to enjoy it ......

You should have stuck it out. He hit his stride around a half an hour in and kept getting stronger. Really gave it his all, emotional night. I'm not a HUGE Hip fan but boy am I glad I watched it.

Agree hfisher3380, there's one in every crowd, his loss if that's the only impression he got from the evening.
I saw the Hamilton show and Gord's vocals were good from start to finish. Best hip show iv'e ever seen, and I have been going on and off since '91. It seemed to me he was very emotional and it was affecting his vocals for the first few songs. Who can blame him. The emotion I was feeling just watching, I can't even begin to imagine how he was feeling up on stage, at the end of this tour, in his home town, after more than two decades, broadcast live to an entire nation, come on...almost unreal. The expectations, the performance, the emotional response...overwhelming. :cry: :D (happy cry)

Modbeat is clearly not a fan which is ok. However, why point that out given the circumstances and considering that Gord was in fine form as usual? There is no point in stating the "singing was bad" unless you are a fan and actually found Gord's singing to be sub par from his usual performance. I don't like Celine Dion even when she's in superb form. Her voice is technically great but I can't listen to it. There are other singers Ithink are just plain lucky to have a career and I could list them all here but you get my point .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:01 pm 

weisbe wrote:

What's the track title El? I'll check it out, but I don't have headphones here....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:10 pm 

Last one on the album: "Machine"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:23 pm 

I was able to attend the Aug 3 show in Calgary (best $35 I've ever spent on a concert)....but had to work on Saturday night and missed the live broadcast. Hopefully I set the PVR properly!

Post subject: Re: The Hip & CBC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:27 pm 

newmusic wrote:
Good news boys and girls.
Hip tour started in Victoria.
And...
The Hip has been holding back several hundred, possibly thousands of tickets. They start releasing them the day before a show in blocks of 3-4 hundred. Starting with the cheapest seats and by the day of the show, there are even several hundred floor seats becoming available. These tickets are all available through 'ticket bastard' at face value pricing.
Quite likely this will continue for all the shows. It is an attempt to screw over the reselling companies and scalpers. In turn helping real fans who can't afford re-sale pricing to see the show. Once word of this comes out, they may start selling increasingly faster. So keep on your toes and check TM regularly.
Many artist are now doing this. A friend of mine just got front row Paul Mc. through TM at face value, only a few hours before the start time.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

There were hundreds and even thousands of tickets for sale at all venues the day of the show. Except for Kingston where only a few hundred tiks were released the day of.
Some of my friends got tickets for London, all three Toronto shows and Hamilton, at the last minute.
I know its to late now, but this is why I mentioned it a month ago in this thread. Many bands are now holding back thousands of tickets and releasing them the day of to screw over scalpers and online re-sellers. Keep this in mind the next time you want to see your faves but the show is sold out.
I was watching as tickets were released online the day before each show. And then listening to the stories of my friends who waited in line for several shows at the box office, day of.
In Hamilton the line up was around the block all day. And everyone got tickets at face value from the box office. I didn't show up until 5:30 and waited until almost 7pm before finally getting 5th row floor ticks. Yippeeee.
They start selling the day before online then day of at the box office. Cheapest ticks go first. Right up to just before the show when the closest floor seats become available. The whole fifth row was all the people I met waiting in line. Pretty cool high fiving and hugging everyone I had been hanging with outside, while we celebrated inside just before the show started. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next