Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:06 am 

CBC broadcast was excellent all around, band was great, and Gord was awesome (other than first few tunes as already mentioned). A stream of tears ran across our nation last night.

And I am glad we have a PM that digs the Hip. Beats the lame attempts at Beatles covers that our previous PM played with all the rhythm of a white Frankenstein. It was Gordie's night and he can give a shout out to whoever the f*ck he wants!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:26 am 

...this New Yorker article captures it perfectly...

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultur ... ic-goodbye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:21 am 

Stone wrote:
...this New Yorker article captures it perfectly...

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultur ... ic-goodbye

That 2nd last paragraph got me a little choked up!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:24 am 

I'm not the biggest Hip fan, but what a great show the band put on ! The fans were enthralled and rightfully so. People are going to remember this night.

Sure the start was ragged, but with the road that Gord has travelled in the last 9 months, and on a tour (15 shows in 29 days) where there is probably no holding back the overall performance was extraordinary. Live music, stuff happens. No lip synching, no frikken autotune.

It was too bad about the politicking, but Gord had a message to send and there's no doubt it was delivered. At a time when it would be easy for anyone to be self centered, Gord Downie was thinking of the Canadians in the North. Bravo.

Like others are saying here, huge props to the CBC for this broadcast. On the last Saturday of the Olympics and with few breaks. They really made this a national event, and I'm glad I watched.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:25 am 

Had to be one of the most watched shows on CBC .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:28 am 

"If you're not in your seats in five minutes I'll be very disappointed." :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:29 am 

Was in the crowd last night in Kingston. The atmosphere was incredible! The screen and sound system made it feel like you in the K-Rock Centre with everyone else. Well done City of Kingston!

It was very cool to hear the crowd sing along with Gordie.

A highly emotional and bittersweet evening.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:06 am 

That mic drop moment at the very end of the show... everyone in Canada just wanted to give Gord a hug (after we, ah, "got that thing out of our eye").

http://imgur.com/gallery/I4tjF

Wasn't sure if he was faking us out or not, as he snapped out of it pretty fast... but he probably had to or the tears may never have stopped. :cry:

Post subject: Re: The Hip & CBC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:10 am 

3dB Sound Company wrote:
Pretty sure everybody knows about this but - just wanted to make sure...

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/12179/how- ... cbc-aug-20

i'm really glad you started this thread.
Knew about the broadcast of course but somehow forgot that it was this weekend.
Thanks to this reminder I got the PVR set-up 10 minutes before the show started :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:54 am 

NordicNorm wrote:
Was in the crowd last night in Kingston. The atmosphere was incredible! The screen and sound system made it feel like you in the K-Rock Centre with everyone else. Well done City of Kingston!

It was very cool to hear the crowd sing along with Gordie.

A highly emotional and bittersweet evening.

Yeah, tough call.

%#ing cancer!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:50 am 

excellent concert and presentation last night.i have never see nor heard-other than recordings-the Hip live before last night.and this coming from a passerby Hip fan.
come on guys criticising the bands start,get over it.remember this is live and not a Brittany lipsync concert and them knowing the entire nation was watching,there will be nerves and jitters.
only complaint i have and this is a minor one was the CBC.i watched the broadcast but had the sound over Radio1 and Radio1 was a second or two ahead of the broadcast.just had to get used to it.and please don't all over me for that complaint.
i give praise to heads at the CBC for what they did,especially interupting their Olympic broadcast.
one thing i am wondering about,was Don Cherry in the crowd somewhere? :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:52 am 

Musicware4u wrote:
There's one point when you see Gord doing a sort of primal scream that you could tell had more to do about his cancer than anything else.

I felt this vibe when they were playing Grace, Too right near the end of the performance. In a way, I was almost hoping this would be their last song because it was an arresting performance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:05 pm 
Premium User

The moment can be seen here http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/748010563966/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:04 pm 

It was great to see the CBC pay tribute to the Hip. I have always enjoyed their music and their connection to Canadians. It was very nice to see all of Canada come together from coast to coast to coast for these guys. I have to give so much kudo's and love to Gord for doing this and going out there and doing what he loves to do, while fighting this battle, and all the effects it has on the body and your spirit. Being a fellow Cancer survivor, I can connect with him on this level, knowing that something is inside you and it is trying it's best to end you, but your will to live is stronger and will not stop, with all the love and support of family and friends and his fans and his music, it's the best medicine one can recieve. God bless you Gordie and may your journey bring you solace and peace. Spinning "Yer Favorites" on my system all day! 8) "I had my hands in the river, my feet back up on the banks. Looked up to the lord above and said, Hey, man, thanks"

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 87.49 KiB | Viewed 670 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:15 pm 
Premium User

http://canadianbeats.ca/2016/08/21/what ... a-country/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next