Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:40 pm 

Musicware4u wrote:
hfisher3380 wrote:
Mod Beat wrote:
I don't want to piss on anyone's cornflakes, but the singing is so bad, I can't watch it. If this is a National Celebration, Canadian culture is in bad shape. I tried to enjoy it ......

You should have stuck it out. He hit his stride around a half an hour in and kept getting stronger. Really gave it his all, emotional night. I'm not a HUGE Hip fan but boy am I glad I watched it.

Modbeat is clearly not a fan which is ok. However, why point that out given the circumstances and considering that Gord was in fine form as usual? There is no point in stating the "singing was bad" unless you are a fan and actually found Gord's singing to be sub par from his usual performance. I don't like Celine Dion even when she's in superb form. Her voice is technically great but I can't listen to it. There are other singers Ithink are just plain lucky to have a career and I could list them all here but you get my point .

Well put. As I mentioned earlier, I was never a fan of the band either but that's because I couldn't get past his vocals, or his act. I'm more of the torn jeans and t-shirt, greasy long hair type of groupie myself...the Hip are just too....hip lol. Good songs and music, tho. 8)

That said I enjoyed the broadcast...cranked it, in fact, and had the hangover as personal reward for a good time. Something I'd never be able to do with Celine Dion at the mic. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:32 pm 

Must have been good timing, she said "yes".

http://globalnews.ca/news/2896740/the-t ... obcaygeon/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:03 pm 

Mod Beat wrote:
I don't want to piss on anyone's cornflakes, but the singing is so bad, I can't watch it. If this is a National Celebration, Canadian culture is in bad shape. I tried to enjoy it ......

I tried to watch as well. The first half of the concert was excruciating. The band was out of tune and just didn't get a good grove going. Gord was just screaming incoherently. I was never a huge fan although I do like some of their studio material. BUT this was Canadian music history in the making (apparently 12 million Canadians tuned into the Iive broadcast). I feel for Gord and the band. Best of luck to them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:12 pm 

It's quite obvious that I have been rebuked by many on this thread. What i didn't realize at the time was that this thread was a burgeoning love-in with the Tragically Hip. As I said, I didn't want to piss on anyone's cornflakes, but I guess I did. A lot of people took it personally.

I don't know this band; I've heard of them, but I don't know any of their songs. I'm not a rock guy. I was when I was younger, but that was a long time ago. When I tuned in I had absolutely no emotional investment, no bias. All I heard was a voice I couldn't get past. If I knew the band, even loved the band, I suppose I could have put it into some sort of context - final tour, illness of the singer, and so on.

Every once in a while I would turn back and I still couldn't seem to enjoy it - remember, I said I tried.
I guess the old adage applies: If you don't have anything good to say ......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:29 pm 

Mod Beat wrote:
It's quite obvious that I have been rebuked by many on this thread. What i didn't realize at the time was that this thread was a burgeoning love-in with the Tragically Hip. As I said, I didn't want to piss on anyone's cornflakes, but I guess I did. A lot of people took it personally.

I don't know this band; I've heard of them, but I don't know any of their songs. I'm not a rock guy. I was when I was younger, but that was a long time ago. When I tuned in I had absolutely no emotional investment, no bias. All I heard was a voice I couldn't get past. If I knew the band, even loved the band, I suppose I could have put it into some sort of context - final tour, illness of the singer, and so on.

Every once in a while I would turn back and I still couldn't seem to enjoy it - remember, I said I tried.

I wouldn't take it personally. I think it would be a hard sell to anyone that was not into rock. As I stated earlier, I don't consider myself to be a huge fan but still really enjoyed it (except for Trudeau and I've been rebuked for that haha! :lol: So have comfort knowing you are not the only one who has been rebuked :wink: ); spoke with a friend tonight who is a huge Floyd fan, so into rock, and he said he couldn't get into it at all, so different strokes for different folks.

I thought that the band was very tight. Gord is a bit of an acquired taste I think; I'm certainly ok with him as a musical stylist but I can also see how some might not appreciate him.

Frankly, I don't enjoy stadium rock shows much any more unless I can be guaranteed a seat or position very close to the band and doing that at the Hip shows seemed to require a 2nd mortgage on the house unless you got lucky with the late release of tickets as another poster mentioned earlier (good info by the way!). I'd rather see/listen to musicians I like in much smaller venues and fortunately my tastes at this stage in my life permit that. I thought the CBC did do a very good job in presenting it as intimately as a stadium show can be and was happy to watch it and be able to replay it in the comfort of my own home.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:10 pm 

I thought you Hip fans might get a kick out of this. My friend was at the Gordon Lightfoot concert the other night in Moncton and mentioned that Gord played axactly a 1 1/2 hour show. Well tonight I found out why, I was at Gord's show in Fredericton tonight and at about the 1 hour 45 minute mark he mentioned how their show in Moncton conveniently came to an end in time for the band and him to go watch the Hip concert. :)
By the way, old Gord still puts on a good show and the band was tight.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:37 pm 

I wouldn't call myself a huge fan but do really like a half dozen or so of their songs.
That being said and all the talk about the singing and so on, other than thinking
to myself how tough the emotion of the last time they'll ever play must be as that
concert began, and it began back at its roots, was showing on Gord but figured it
would find its joins.

I seemed to of been connected past the music and the whole totality of the why
and how. The shutting down the Olympic coverage , thinking most of Canada was watching
and communities , decks , patios , bars all stopped and felt and shared being
human ,all dangling from a common thread. One from a strong flannel fabric
as warm as the memories of playing shiny , dreaming of being Bobby Orr and
scoring that big goal as a kid. So much of it quietly tied into our landscape, our sport
and the quiet strength we have that's so stark in contrast to the loud heroism
below us. A rare moment , hours long , of human connection on mass of near 30 + % of the
population where a common emotion wasn't one of disgust, self pity , dis belief
and hate and violence....................................... Its difficult to grasp words or
convey and process , You watched a dying man , accept his fate , yet still stood
before you under bright lights giving what life he still had as a parting gift,
while emotionally raging against the dying of that light all in the same space
and time..................................

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:00 pm 

Mod Beat wrote:

Music is always a matter of personal taste.

What was unique to me somewhat was I had a beach full of guys who were mostly age nine down to unborn when '50 mission cap' was released and boy they knew the words and tunes of all those songs the same as I did. They were singing their guts out along with it. Not being a big fan of pop music (virtually eschewing it all my life really), I guess I 'got' the 'Canadian intellectuality' (sic) of this band and developed a respectful appreciation for it - to be honest I didn't find anything at all to criticize in the performance, start to finish, but then I've been to some rock shows that really stank so my expectations generally aren't all that high. Seen videos of a couple Rolling Stones gigs that were truly awful.
Anyway, I agree, if you didn't really know or like this music to begin with, it could be a turnoff. You won't catch me waxing poetically (or anything else :lol: ) to Katy Perry, Biebs, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:11 pm 

Mod Beat wrote:

Say what you will, it's a free country. Just change your avatar. Good lord...
:?:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:25 pm 

Who here thinks Ry Cooder will sing his eulogy? My god, the prospect it will happen is so ironic. :cry: Actually, if it doesn't happen, well, I can't even imagine that.

Me debunk an american myth?
And take my life in my hands?
Where the great plains begin
At the hundredth meridian

Driving down a corduroy road
Weeds standing shoulder high
Ferris wheel is rusting
Off in the distance

Left alone to get gigantic
Hard, huge and haunted
A generation so much dumber than it's parents
Came crashing through the window

A raven strains along the line of the road
carrying muddy old skull
The wires whistle their approval
Off down the distance

At the hundredth meridian (hundredth meridian)
At the hundredth meridian (you're going to miss me)
At the hundredth meridian (trust me)
Where the great plains begin (at the hundredth meridian)
At the hundredth meridian (at the hundredth meridian)

I remember, I remember Buffalo
And I remember Hengelo
It would seem to me
I remember every single **** thing I know

If I die of vanity, promise me, promise me
If they bury me some place I don't want to be
You'll dig me up and transport me, unceremoniously
Away from the swollen city breeze, garbage bag trees
Whispers of disease and the acts of enormity
And lower me slowly and sadly and properly
Get Ry Cooder to sing my eulogy

At the hundredth meridian (hundredth meridian)
Where the great plains begin (at the hundredth meridian)
At the hundredth meridian (at the hundredth meridian)
At the hundredth meridian (baby, you're going to miss me)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:49 pm 

I have a single Hip album, Phantom Power which I really like...but much of the bands catalogue I'm not terribly into.
Still it was an enjoyable concert and notable moment in Canadian history, and I'm glad I watched it all...it felt like saying goodbye to a Canadian icon.
It's been said the Tragically Hip are 'Canada's band'...and I'm curious to see if they continue on without him, and if so who will replace Gord.

I was also surprised he did so well remembering the lyrics, considering his condition and the fact they're not all that simple.

Such a brave and giving man, he will be missed.
National televised funeral with eulogy by Ry Cooder when that sad day comes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:11 am 

Perspex wrote:
I have a single Hip album, Phantom Power which I really like...but much of the bands catalogue I'm not terribly into.
Still it was an enjoyable concert and notable moment in Canadian history, and I'm glad I watched it all...it felt like saying goodbye to a Canadian icon.
It's been said the Tragically Hip are 'Canada's band'...and I'm curious to see if they continue on without him, and if so who will replace Gord.

I was also surprised he did so well remembering the lyrics, considering his condition and the fact they're not all that simple.

Such a brave and giving man, he will be missed.
National televised funeral with eulogy by Ry Cooder when that sad day comes.

Ry Cooder is an exceptional musician. Some of my fav Ry Cooder albums are Boomer's Story, Chicken Skin Music, Into The Purple Valley, Ry Cooder so many greats. Although he played briefly with the Stones and was asked to be a full flegged member, he said no thanks. I was lucky to see his Little Village show at Massey Hall maybe 20 years ago, what a show. I wonder if Ry Cooder is a Hip fan. Having him honour Gord would be appropriate.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:58 pm 

I am so **** up because of the emotion of the final concert...the courage, the integrity and message sent to people that
you don't stop doing what you are doing.
Man, it is totally a gut-wrenching feeling that has overcome me and so many.
I truly hope there is a miracle or something that happens .... just to sad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:29 pm 

Yes Ry Cooder is something to behold, I have a few records and his music jumps off the platter and hits you in the face (still looking for Talking Timbuktu).

Someone finally posted the Hip concert on YT in super sweet HD...I've been watching it in full or chunks every night...it still gets me. I love the CBC for recording it commercial free, it makes it all the more special.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8