Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:12 am 
Premium User

On a whim I took in the first concert of the 2016 Chamber Music Festival in Picton. We have a weekend place here and Prince Edward County is a hive of cultural events this time of year. The concert was held in a church that had great acoustics. You could hear the most delicate of finger plucks from 30 feet away with ease. This young Canadian string quartet played their "Spin Cycle" consisting of compositions from four young Canadian composers. I was absolutely riveted! I've never spent any time listening to new classical works but I am a convert. I especially liked a piece written by Rob Tehan, who does film score work now in LA.

The players were terrrific but First Violin Valerie Li was a standout. I never thought I would use this word to describe a classical concert but it was truly thrilling.

There are three more concerts this summer. If this is your cup of tea, I recommend you check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:42 am 

Tangram wrote:
On a whim I took in the first concert of the 2016 Chamber Music Festival in Picton. We have a weekend place here and Prince Edward County is a hive of cultural events this time of year. The concert was held in a church that had great acoustics. You could hear the most delicate of finger plucks from 30 feet away with ease. This young Canadian string quartet played their "Spin Cycle" consisting of compositions from four young Canadian composers. I was absolutely riveted! I've never spent any time listening to new classical works but I am a convert. I especially liked a piece written by Rob Tehan, who does film score work now in LA.

The players were terrrific but First Violin Valerie Li was a standout. I never thought I would use this word to describe a classical concert but it was truly thrilling.

There are three more concerts this summer. If this is your cup of tea, I recommend you check it out.

I've been basically a Jazz listener for most of my adult life, and that's still my first love.

But I've been listening to my TV Galaxie/Stingray Classical music stations RCA'd into my Stereo lately getting introduced to a lot of stuff.
I'm going start getting DVD's out of the Public Library once I have an idea which composers I like. This'll keep me busy for a while.

Ott.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:13 am 

Glad to hear you had such an unexpectedly good time!

You're right - it can be a real thrill to hear something great for the first time, performed live. Bonus when the acoustics are also sweet.

I've been likewise pleasantly surprised by harp concerts, banjo recitals, community big bands, Chinese traditional music performances, Gamelan shows and modern classical events. Except for a little modern classical, I listen to none of this stuff at home.

Always fun to take a chance on a performance that might be out of your usual listening style.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:59 am 

Live is really the only way to experience something new...especially when it's fringe music like modern classical. Glad you enjoyed yourself, and thanks for the tip.

Found this video while doing a search of Teehan's music. The performance is excellent, as is the fidelity (unusual for YouTube)....it's well worth a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcv2c2CaxXw