Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:02 am 
Premium User

Had a great night with this highly entertaining retro soul funk band. Beautiful evening weather-wise so not hot under the tent with a slight cool breeze to boot. Played a hard driving, almost two hour set with a wide variety of material.

Sharon was in fine form despite being in chemotherapy again. Eschewing a wig, she sang her heart out in all of her bald magnificence. Very moving, as she had the courage to confront her cancer in a very public way and sang about it with incredible emotion. I think she has a special connection with Toronto and it showed last night.

The band was TIGHT! Her backup singers have a debut album out so they "opened" prior to Sharon coming on by taking centre stage for three tunes. Let's just say I will be seeking out that record.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:14 am 

Thanks for the tip... I'll make sure to catch her show, which is the Montreal Jazz Fest's Grand opening concert, on Wednesday, June 29.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:43 am 

I've got tickets to see her in Bangor, Maine next month. Also Tedeschi Truck Band, and Trombone Shorty! It's going to be a fun couple days.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:11 am 

Yes an excellent show as usual. Been seeing her every time she comes around. First time was at a small bar, Pepperjack café in Hamilton 12 or 13 years ago, just before or after the release of her first album. Since that first show, blew my mind, I don't miss her. For the first three to four years she was playing smallish bars, like the Horsehoe. Then moving up to Massey Hall and Jazz festival tents around North America. Good on her for keeping at it, even as so called industry experts told her she didn't have the right look to be successful, and refused to sign her to a major record label contract. Just saw her on the newest Ford ad. Ha, ha in your face record company executive. Dap Tone records is now a top seller. With many other similar artists on the label receiving international attention. She took her time to become successful. Unlike another similar artist who exploded then imploded, Amy Whinehouse. Amy actually had to borrow the Daptones for one of her Canadian tours after her band was refused entry into Canada.
Sharon is kinda like James Brown and Aretha Franklin all rolled up into one pint sized explosive package. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:16 am 

She plays tonight on the Main Stage at the Ottawa Jazz Fest - I don't know too much about her and her band but will be there. It's been a quite good coupla days thus far. Gonna be HOT!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:48 pm 

David P wrote:
I've got tickets to see her in Bangor, Maine next month. Also Tedeschi Truck Band, and Trombone Shorty! It's going to be a fun couple days.

-- 26 Jun 2016 20:57 --

David P just a heads up going across the st,stephen nb calais maine border the yanks are rude and ignorant and could detain you for any stupid reason

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:22 am 

rednecknber wrote:
David P wrote:

-- 26 Jun 2016 20:57 --

David P just a heads up going across the st,stephen nb calais maine border the yanks are rude and ignorant and could detain you for any stupid reason

I've never had any trouble at the border but was planning to cross at Woodstock anyway. I find the Airline is always under construction!