Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Alice Cooper in Victoria
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:39 am 

Apparently Alice Cooper will be visiting Victoria in the fall. A buddy wants me to go with him.

For the last little while I've been avoiding live shows, because it's fairly expensive to see an approximately 1.5 hour show for an older or set of older guys that can no longer sing. Unfortunately I always seem to miss the "they played for 3 hours" shows.

At 68 I wouldn't really expect much from Alice, but has anybody seen him recently and can comment on the length and quality of the show?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:59 am 

Saw him last year in Windsor....still puts on a great show.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:14 am 

I say just go. You'll have a great time.
Our chances to see these legends of rock are getting fewer and farther between. None of us are getting any younger so go, and rock on!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:33 am 

Go, it's Alice Cooper. Saw him open for Motley Crue last year here in Winnipeg and there was no comparison. The Alice Cooper set blew Motley Crue off the stage, it wasn't even close.

His band is great and his voice and showmanship are first class. His guitarist Nita Strauss is a fabulous player, super energetic and a total fox as well.

Just go!

Oh yah, this wasn't my first Alice Cooper show, 3rd I believe going back to the 80s.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:08 pm 

Yes go, the Coop still puts on a great show. His voice is still strong, showmanship second to none.

I first saw the original band in 1973 at the Pacific Coliseum, for the Billion Dollar Babies tour. Mind blowing. I have seen over 100 live shows, including soon to be big bands in small venues such as REM at Commodore Ballroom in 1983. Plus lots of small club jazz, outdoor shows, etc.

Alice Coopers 1973 show is still the most memorable in my lifetime, but of course you cannot expect that show now.

Also saw him when he went solo for the Welcome to my Nightmare tour, also at the Coliseum. Cannot remember the year, think it was 75 or 76 or thereabouts. Too much of that green stuff in my younger years makes the date hazy. Not a great show, as he fell off the stage while climbing up a tall prop box. Fell onto the concrete flooring and broke some ribs. The band played on for 30 minutes or so, the Coop came back onstage bandaged up, for a song or two. Then the show ended. I seem to recall that refunds were offered after, but I could be wrong on that point.

Anyhow, with all the hits and a still great live show, his new show will be more entertaining than most.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:12 am 

I saw him in '69. I wonder if he's aged since then. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:23 am 

I saw him at the Port theater in Nanaimo 2013 and was blown away . His voice is the best it's ever been , apparently he has really focused on it with training over the last few years . His band is top notch , the drummer was actually a Nanaimo boy out of LA who was rated by Drummer magazine as the #1 session drummer and #2 heavy metal drummer at the time . The blonde fox playing guitar was discover'd by Santana and played for Michael Jackson . The other guitarist played with Slash on Velvet Revolver . His bassist had been with him the longest and was killer . They played non stop for 1hr45min and the intensity just grew and grew . Near the end they went into a Hollywood Vampires set playing The Who , Doors , Hendrix ect. Afterwards in the lobby all you could hear were remarks like holly crap, that might be the best show I've ever seen . It doesn't suprize me at all that he blew away Motley Crew . Saw them in Vic and Big wreck did too , they waited over an hour after to come on , played barely an hour and left without an encore . Try looking up the Hollywood Vampires on Youtube and be amazed at what a great guitarist Depp is .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:44 am 

My girlfriend bought tickets for the October 12 show here in Regina for my birthday. We're also taking her 17 and 14 year old sons. The 17 year old has heard of him and is very excited, the 14 year old hasn't and is luke warm about it. I think they'll enjoy it. I know their mom and I will.