Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Steely Dan at Red Rocks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:05 pm 

I am hoping to get to a concert at Red Rocks this year (60th birthday and kind of on my bucket list of things to do). Has anyone else been to a concert at Red Rocks and any advice you might have for someone attending their first concert there? Also, am looking at the Steely Dan/Steve Winwood concert there in June. Has anyone seen Steely Dan lately in concert and what are they like. Having not seen them before I am hoping to hear some of their classics. Don't mind hearing new stuff, but would like to hear the oldies as well. Are they one of those bands that don't like to play their old hits or do they mix it up well? Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:21 pm 

They still sound great and play mostly old favorites.
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steely-da ... e0125.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:27 pm 

Pinkley
Same thing for me. Was lucky enough to go last year to see Mark Knopfler there in September.
What a show and won the lottery as far as seats.
Send me a pm and I would love to talk to you with any advice and to answer any questions I can.

PJ

Genesis; "Carpet Crawlers" from Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. 1974

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:52 pm 

I had the opportunity to see them two summers ago at the Molson Amphitheater. I would've normally not even known they were playing, but one of my clients had spare tickets and they invited us; I knew nothing about Steely Dan other than that they existed as a band and more prominent when I was a yute.

Having said this, I recognized many of the songs in their set, and even though some of the music they played wasn't to my taste I certainly can't take anything away from the musicianship of either Fagen or Becker (or even the accompanying musicians). They were a really good live band, and I'd go see the show again (and I'm not even old yet).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:25 pm 

I was at the same show as kwadzilla and the playlist was great, full of their hits. It was a good show, my only complaint was the Walter Becker looked a little disinterested at times and was dressed like he was planning to spend the evening on his couch, instead of a stage.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:53 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I have never been to Red Rocks but I have seen both Steely Dan and Steve Winwood recently. Unlike so many classics rock acts that have devolved into their own tribute bands (no more YES, please), Donald Fagen and Walter Becker are still at the top of their game, as is Steve Winwood. This double-bill in an amphitheater setting should be a summer concert highlight.

Also, I saw Paul McCartney's arena show in October at JLA in Detroit. This concert should be at the top of everyone's bucket list -- almost three hours of joyful brilliance. Don't put this one off, just in case The End is near.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:12 pm 

the scenery is worth taking in alone at red rocks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:58 am 

There is a very good museum there with a history of RR and the different artists that have played there including the Beatles.

Genesis; "Carpet Crawlers" from Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. 1974

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:51 am 

So just googled Red Rocks... WOW! What a spectacular looking venue at a truly spectacular place on Earth. There's something very majestic about that place and I'm sure it would add the the enjoyment and feel of any concert.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:07 am 

rednecknber wrote:
the scenery is worth taking in alone at red rocks

Agree. I'd easily put that place in the top 5 coolest places I've been! I saw a Zeppelin tribute event there one night and the view was absolutely incredible. One of the guys I work with lives in Denver and goes often, and suggests sitting mid-point or higher so you get the big sky and lights of downtown Denver in your site line.

Whatever you do there, don't get caught climbing any of the the rocks to get cool pictures (like i tried to do...) as the park sites security/wardens get pretty bent out of shape.

A lot of folks go there to work out and jog so for a laugh, my peer and I jogged down the side steps from top to bottom, and back up to the top again. We could not believe how hard it was to breath after doing that short 3-4 minutes exercise. Tough to fill your lungs at that height if you're not used to it.

Beautiful place.....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:16 pm 

Well - I just got back from a Steely Dan/Steve Winwood concert at Red Rocks. As I mentioned at the start of this thread, this was a must do on my bucket list - so that one is checked. Amazing venue with excellent acoustics and let me just say that Steely Dan sound as good today as they did back in the day. For that matter, Steve Winwood sounded fantastic as well. Steely Dan played a number of songs from Aja which was great as it is my favourite album. Went a little too jazzy for some of it. First time I have ever witnessed a slide trombone solo.
Now, as anyone who has been to Red Rocks can tell you, the weather can be a major part of the show and this concert was definitely affected. About 3 songs into Steve Winwood's set they came on the stage and told everyone there was "weather" in the area and the safest place for everyone was in their car, so we should all make our way back to our vehicles. Well, as soon as everyone stood up, the hail started. Unbelievable. I have attached a link to a video of the great weather. Thankfully it was over in 20 minutes and the clouds went away and the music continued.
http://abc7news.com/weather/video-flooding-hail-delays-steely-dan-concert-in-colorado/1385405/

For anyone who has not been, make the time and get to see this amazing place. Denver is a fantastic city as well with a lot of really great breweries, restaurants and interesting things to do and see. Went vinyl shopping and picked up some good used stuff.
A great time!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:36 pm 

Thanks for the update. I got a kick out of the announcer that spoke of Steely Dan as a guy - "you cannot stop him - he took the stage once that storm passed through"..........
Would love to see them in concert anywhere really - never seem to make it to Alberta.
jp