Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:19 am 

Teo Audio wrote:
luxmanfan wrote:
Consider this......

Above I see a ticket for $11.00 in 1977. Average worker's wage in a plant was around $3.50/hr. $11.00/3.50= Just over 3hrs of work to get the mula

Today a ticket for a decent show and reasonable seat location is what $80.00 or so? $80.00/25= Just over 3hrs of work to get the mula

Not considering resellers and great seats looks like ticket prices are on par from decade ago wouldn't you say?

Wages are stagnant since the 70's and have not risen to reflect the cost of living. They're more like $12-14 per hour. max.

The minimum wage is the same as it was in 1977, give or take a few cents, when corrected for inflation. costs have skyrocketed, with no change in the wage.

It's over double your calculation, in reality. Closer to 7-8 hours of work for that ticket.

http://calgaryherald.com/business/work- ... tudy-finds

Yes I would concur with that as that as well.
Average wages today no where near anything above $14ish hrly.
Unless you're in a "Blue Chip Job"
So 7 plus hrs easily.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:12 am 

Vintage acts only make money from royalties and touring. Most acts haven't put out meaningfull work in decades. Blame Don Henley and Pink Floyd they got the high ticket price rolling 25 years ago. Hell Freezes Over set a record back in 94 for prices. Baby Boomers will pay almost anything to see a live version of the soundtrack from their youth. This is also affecting the price of vintage equipment on this site.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:16 am 

Seems true.... a lot of 'boomers feel makem' younger..dunno what it is really..nostalgia? the way it used to be? etc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:14 am 

Tyreman wrote:
Yes I would concur with that as that as well.
Average wages today no where near anything above $14ish hrly.
Unless you're in a "Blue Chip Job"
So 7 plus hrs easily.

https://www.livingin-canada.com/work-sa ... anada.html
Quote:
The average salary in Canadian dollars has risen by around 24 percent since 2007.
In 2016 the average hourly earnings accross all employess in either full ot part-time work was $25.46. This compares to $20.56 in 2007.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableau ... 9a-eng.htm
Quote:
Average wages / hr 2015:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:16 am 

I don't know anyone young or old making that with the exception of Gov't workers and one son a programmer,another daughter a RN ...some are relatives and another 2 friends in social services
Average jobs pay squat today

then again I'm over the hill in those age statistics BTW :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:04 am 

vonclod wrote:
If I remember correct, big shows were about $20 when we started going..all the 80s thrash/metal :twisted:

I have seen probably close to 200 shows but seldom bother anymore, hard to get tickets and not giving in to scalpers.

I feel the same. Even if you get scalpers and get close, on some shows you are like a penguin squished up at the front if there is no seating in that area. I'd rather have the DVD thanks. At least your going to get some of the best performances recorded. I saw John Mayer at the amphitheater and he was 'tired from doing too many shows in a row' and it was a disappointing performance. I saw Aerosmith once in a large venue and the acoustics were so bad we couldn't tell what song they were playing and left after the third song. I have seen some great performances and will not stop seeing shows, but it is a drag to see a crappy show for big money.

Love seeing shows up close at places like Massey Hall though. Jeff Beck, Joe Bonamassa etc., up close and personal. I'm going to see Larry Carlton (amazing player) in St. Catharines, 5th row for $60 in March. Although he probably wont have scantily clad dancers or a laser show. I can live with that. I wont even have to pay $20 for parking or deal with intense traffic. What a concept.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:06 am 

I was never able to pay under $25.00 a ticket for big acts in the early eighties. The Stones' Tatoo You tour in Buffalo (like, 80,000 people!) was about that. Elton John, Van Halen, and Ted Nugent, all at Maple Leaf Gardens, were between $25 and $30. Later (2005) I paid $105 to see Dylan in Vancouver, at the Orpheum (2700 seats), and it was the most I had paid to that point. I would easily pay more to see Dylan again.

I think $100 is a reasonable amount to pay these days - but that won't get you U2. I think you could see Blue Rodeo, though. Does that count?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:39 am 

AHarris wrote:
I was never able to pay under $25.00 a ticket for big acts in the early eighties. The Stones' Tatoo You tour in Buffalo (like, 80,000 people!) was about that. Elton John, Van Halen, and Ted Nugent, all at Maple Leaf Gardens, were between $25 and $30. Later (2005) I paid $105 to see Dylan in Vancouver, at the Orpheum (2700 seats), and it was the most I had paid to that point. I would easily pay more to see Dylan again.

I think $100 is a reasonable amount to pay these days - but that won't get you U2. I think you could see Blue Rodeo, though. Does that count?

Apparently it will get you U2 if you're willing to stand on the floor in General Admission.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:48 am 

"Apparently it will get you U2 if you're willing to stand on the floor in General Admission."

I'm all in then! I'll wear my Bono elevator shoes to get a better view from back at the board!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:51 am 

xr4ti wrote:
Vintage acts only make money from royalties and touring. Most acts haven't put out meaningfull work in decades. Blame Don Henley and Pink Floyd they got the high ticket price rolling 25 years ago. Hell Freezes Over set a record back in 94 for prices. Baby Boomers will pay almost anything to see a live version of the soundtrack from their youth. This is also affecting the price of vintage equipment on this site.

Yeah, but what would you have said was a reasonable price to see the last performances of the Eagles with Glenn Frey?

Or to see one of the last performances of Bowie?

You couldn't pay me to attend most lip-synch concerts these days, but there are performers who are starting to get up there (along with the rest of us) and any one of their concerts may be their last.

I never got to see any of the 'big name' bands, Clapton at the Paramount in Seattle way back in '82ish was it for me.

The Tragically Hip in a bar in Victoria (we walked out because we couldn't find a seat!); Jann Arden in a pub in Ottawa (place was half empty!); Jill Barber in a pub in Cumberland are my fave memories of 'concerts' and they were very inexpensive!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:01 am 

I grew up playing in symphonies around the west GTA, so I saw a lot of time in orchestra pits and performing live music (violin). I enjoyed that in my youth.

I saw a lot of live music when I worked in a campus bar in university in the late 80's, and early 90's. Seeing 5440 in a ~350 seat bar was one of the highlights for sure. It was all free, as I was working those nights, which did change the dynamic for me of course but often also meant I heard sound checks, met the band etc. It was fun. Still mourning losing my signed Headstones T shirt in a hostel in Hong Kong in 1996.

I saw a few bands in the outdoor concert circuit in the 90's too at various fairgrounds.

True stand alone concerts? Not in a long time.

Last one was (oh boy am I getting flamed for this) TLC at the ACC back in 1999 on a first date with my wife. I think I paid around $125 per ticket for good seats.

I just don't see any value anymore in seeing a band (any) in a stadium. The sound is rarely great, the prices ridiculous, and by the time I get into the city, park and have a meal - I could have gone to Cuba for 3-4 days!

I still love music, but it is now either recorded and on one of my setups, or it is live at a venue I am attending anyway (Ribfest).

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 am 

rnrgagne wrote:
You can thank illegal downloads or copies for the concert prices being so high. Touring is now artists main source of reliable revenue.

Nonsense - it's what the market will bear. Promoters and managers look at what the scalping rig get for tickets and decide they should collect some of that rent - in the economic sense.

Tell you something else - a lot of those 'artists' don't have to tour for $ plus they are long passed their prime.

Last edited by RalphH on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:20 am 

onelastime wrote:
Ok I'm going to show my age for sure but I happened to be going through one of my old photo albums and I have kept my concert stubs since the 70s when I first started to see shows. I just happened to notice the prices.
$4.09 to see Buddy Rich (I am a drummer)
$6.00 for Supertramp Crime of the Century as well as Frank Zappa and the Mothers

I could go on but then it would just sound like bragging 8)

Maybe I'm biased (maybe?) but it seems not only did we get some of the greatest bands that are still being listened to in our era, but we also had some damn fine concert pricing, and I could still actually get a ticket because you had to go and line up for them in person and they weren't sold out to scalpers online in 180 seconds!

Yeah, and the music was also mmmmuch better than it is now and actually worth seeing live back then. Many of the one hit wonders back in the day had more to offer than most new music spewn upon us. There are exceptions, but not enough and nothing compared to when you needed to have actual talent composing and performing music.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:12 pm 

AHarris wrote:

I never saw Elton John, but I did see Van Halen and Ted Nugent...for $7.70! Yah Gotta Love It!
The most I ever paid was when I took my wife to see Barbra Streisand (her favorite besides Steve Perry from Journey). Not really my thing, but I was still blown away by her skill. I think they were $350 each and not awesome seats.

Attachments:
DSC_03560001.JPG
DSC_03560001.JPG [ 168.97 KiB | Viewed 466 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:50 pm 

mber wrote:
xr4ti wrote:

Yeah, but what would you have said was a reasonable price to see the last performances of the Eagles with Glenn Frey?

Or to see one of the last performances of Bowie?

You couldn't pay me to attend most lip-synch concerts these days, but there are performers who are starting to get up there (along with the rest of us) and any one of their concerts may be their last.

I never got to see any of the 'big name' bands, Clapton at the Paramount in Seattle way back in '82ish was it for me.

The Tragically Hip in a bar in Victoria (we walked out because we couldn't find a seat!); Jann Arden in a pub in Ottawa (place was half empty!); Jill Barber in a pub in Cumberland are my fave memories of 'concerts' and they were very inexpensive!

Last concert I saw was David Gilmore at Massey Hall with full laser show. It was expensive but worth it. I refuse to see any shows put on by yesterday's heros becuase they need money or just want to get away from the misses.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next