Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:00 am
Posts: 4005
Location: Golden Triangle, ON, CA
Close to the Edge wrote:


It is still way out of wack.Bands for the most part never saw record royalties in the early days, just publishing money and touring money.Of course, it is going to cost more today, but it has become outrageous.



I agree, it is ridonkulous.

1 Gross $736,421,584 U2 360° Tour

2 Gross $558,255,524 A Bigger Bang Tour

3 Gross $458,673,798 The Wall Live

4 Gross $441,121,000 Black Ice World Tour


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:42 pm
Posts: 1451
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Ooooh... this is too weird .. to the OP (onelasttime).. we were BOTH at the same ELP show and used the same gate ! :shock:

Also just noticed .. both at the SAME Rush concert at the Gardens on Dec 29th !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

But I certainly agree, the cost of tickets now, even adjusting for inflation, and dollar value, is ridiculous. :?


Attachments:
TicketStubs.jpg
TicketStubs.jpg [ 177.27 KiB | Viewed 1086 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:08 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Niagara on the Lake, ON, CA
Double D wrote:
Ooooh... this is too weird .. to the OP (onelasttime).. we were BOTH at the same ELP show and used the same gate ! :shock:

Also just noticed .. both at the SAME Rush concert at the Gardens on Dec 29th !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

But I certainly agree, the cost of tickets now, even adjusting for inflation, and dollar value, is ridiculous. :?


That is fantastic! You kept your stubs too. Oh man, I'm sure we must have some other shows in common too if we really compared. My first concert was April Wine with Moonquake at the Centennial theatre. First wiff of weed too.

You made my day.

-- 24 Feb 2016 21:11 --

I wish I had seen Queen. That must have been epic.

_________________
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:42 pm
Posts: 1451
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Yup.. it was DEFINITELY VERY memorable, Queen was certainly one of the stand outs, I feel very lucky to have seen them live.

You know, .. WE got lucky with the ELP tour that we saw, because they didn't have the full orchestra, we got some of their older material (the full 70 piece orchestra was kept for the night at the Olympic Stadium in MTL), well.. I was just as happy to get the older material than "the Works" material. The sound as I recall was outstanding too !

One of my faves, was seeing KISS, on the Destroyer Tour, at the Ottawa Civic Center, the venue was kindof small for the scale of the show, but they shoe horned it in, .. the heat from the pyro was epic ! I think I left with a "tan".. LOL.. and holy CRAP was it LOUD !
The review the next day made mention that they probably should check the stands for structural stability, we got so wound up during "Rock & Roll All Nite" .. everyone was jumping up in down in unison, the stands were flexing about 4 inches or so.. :shock:

Another high point was seeing Triumph during a small arena tour in Belleville,.. following week, they played at MLG (saw them there too!) .. the small arena was just soo much better. Rick Emmett was awesome..

I wished that I had seen ELO on the "Out of The Blue" tour.. and of course, Floyd on the Animals tour. :(


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:31 am
Posts: 90
Location: North Brampton, ON, CA
Consider this......

Above I see a ticket for $11.00 in 1977. Average worker's wage in a plant was around $3.50/hr. $11.00/3.50= Just over 3hrs of work to get the mula

Today a ticket for a decent show and reasonable seat location is what $80.00 or so? $80.00/25= Just over 3hrs of work to get the mula

Not considering resellers and great seats looks like ticket prices are on par from decade ago wouldn't you say?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:24 pm 
Offline
Dealer/Sponsor

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:33 am
Posts: 1182
Location: Kingston, ON, CA
luxmanfan wrote:
Consider this......

Above I see a ticket for $11.00 in 1977. Average worker's wage in a plant was around $3.50/hr. $11.00/3.50= Just over 3hrs of work to get the mula

Today a ticket for a decent show and reasonable seat location is what $80.00 or so? $80.00/25= Just over 3hrs of work to get the mula

Not considering resellers and great seats looks like ticket prices are on par from decade ago wouldn't you say?



Wages are stagnant since the 70's and have not risen to reflect the cost of living. They're more like $12-14 per hour. max.

The minimum wage is the same as it was in 1977, give or take a few cents, when corrected for inflation. costs have skyrocketed, with no change in the wage.

It's over double your calculation, in reality. Closer to 7-8 hours of work for that ticket.

http://calgaryherald.com/business/work- ... tudy-finds

_________________
(Ken Hotte, of) Teo Audio


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:33 pm
Posts: 1654
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
While I agree that ticket prices are through the roof it's a free market. People keep paying those prices so the bands in question have every right to charge them. The artists are providing a service that people are willing to pay them for.

What I have a problem with when it comes to live entertainment is the crooked resale business. That just artificially inflates the price. No value added at all except to the swindlers.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:57 pm 
Offline
Premium User

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:47 pm
Posts: 1237
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
hfisher3380 wrote:
While I agree that ticket prices are through the roof it's a free market. People keep paying those prices so the bands in question have every right to charge them. The artists are providing a service that people are willing to pay them for.

What I have a problem with when it comes to live entertainment is the crooked resale business. That just artificially inflates the price. No value added at all except to the swindlers.


I find that prices for shows at small venues are often more fun and much cheaper. Last stadium concert I attended was U2 360 at the Skydome. A buddy bought from a reseller and our tickets were restricted view. We still paid through the nose.

Now, $37 for the Skydivers at the Horseshoe or $60 for Whitehorse at the Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts, those are much better deals. Not quite $12 for Peter Gabriel at Maple Leaf Gardens but still good value!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:33 pm
Posts: 1654
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Tangram wrote:
hfisher3380 wrote:
While I agree that ticket prices are through the roof it's a free market. People keep paying those prices so the bands in question have every right to charge them. The artists are providing a service that people are willing to pay them for.

What I have a problem with when it comes to live entertainment is the crooked resale business. That just artificially inflates the price. No value added at all except to the swindlers.


I find that prices for shows at small venues are often more fun and much cheaper. Last stadium concert I attended was U2 360 at the Skydome. A buddy bought from a reseller and our tickets were restricted view. We still paid through the nose.

Now, $37 for the Skydivers at the Horseshoe or $60 for Whitehorse at the Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts, those are much better deals. Not quite $12 for Peter Gabriel at Maple Leaf Gardens but still good value!


I agree those smaller concerts at smaller venues can be great. But they're smaller for a reason - the act is less popular. I think the OP was referring to the larger arena and stadium shows featuring bands with more universal appeal.

Again it all comes down to supply and demand, for the most part. If the Skydivers were able to play the ACC and charge $250 per seat then of course they would.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:25 pm 
Online

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:17 pm
Posts: 2369
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
I looked into buying tickets in Toronto or Hamilton for Joe Bonamassa back in November but found them to be half the price for a comparable ticket in Minneapolis for March. Even with exchange we came out well ahead.
IIRC we can thank the Eagles for the the massive jump in ticket prices. The Hell Freezes Over tour saw ticket pricing break the $100.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:20 am
Posts: 15
Location: Nanaimo, BC, CA
Tangram wrote:
hfisher3380 wrote:
While I agree that ticket prices are through the roof it's a free market. People keep paying those prices so the bands in question have every right to charge them. The artists are providing a service that people are willing to pay them for.

What I have a problem with when it comes to live entertainment is the crooked resale business. That just artificially inflates the price. No value added at all except to the swindlers.


I find that prices for shows at small venues are often more fun and much cheaper. Last stadium concert I attended was U2 360 at the Skydome. A buddy bought from a reseller and our tickets were restricted view. We still paid through the nose.

Now, $37 for the Skydivers at the Horseshoe or $60 for Whitehorse at the Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts, those are much better deals. Not quite $12 for Peter Gabriel at Maple Leaf Gardens but still good value!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:15 am
Posts: 10
Location: North York
$3.50 an hour??


Last edited by Joseph on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:28 am
Posts: 323
Location: vermilion, AB, CA
I know this is alittle outside of concerts as far a big acts go, but I get to see the worlds greatest jazz musicians here in Edmonton at the Yardbird Suite for not much more than it costs 20 years ago. And I don't have to fight over tickets that are sold out in seconds, and, I get to usually meet and chat awhile at the end of the nite with the performers. $25 average for a show. If you get to the venue an hour before the show, you have your pick of the best seats in the house. Maybe I'm old, (which I'm not!) but paying hundreds of bucks to be surrounded by thousands , probably sitting in less than ideal seats, and being subjected to less than ideal sound just doesn't make much sense to me anymore. I'm one of those guys that never payed over $10 for tickets in Dallas for everyone from Floyd to Yes, ELP, Aerosmith, etc.in the late 70's. To each his own I guess. And no, I don't make 25 times what I earned then :(. Don't mean to sound jaded. Oh, and no Tickmaster charges back then either!!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:20 pm
Posts: 301
Location: Delta, BC, CA
I can remember paying 10.99 to see George Harrison in the early 70's and I thought it was a huge over priced ripoff...... now my daughter thinks nothing of paying $175 to see Guns n Roses....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:17 pm
Posts: 362
Location: Delta, BC, CA
If I remember correct, big shows were about $20 when we started going..all the 80s thrash/metal :twisted:

I have seen probably close to 200 shows but seldom bother anymore, hard to get tickets and not giving in to scalpers.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group