Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:18 pm 

Well, I'm not going to add another comment...I think pretty much everything has been said. Instead I'm just adding these just for fun. :wink: In those days, the people at the Montreal Forum or the Colisée de Québec used to badly tear our tickets... so there you can see the last letters of Jethro Tull ,Ten Years After , Pink Floyd or Gentle Giant ... :?:

Attachments:
20170111_165342.jpg
20170111_165342.jpg [ 226.49 KiB | Viewed 313 times ]
20170111_165323.jpg
20170111_165323.jpg [ 100.31 KiB | Viewed 313 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:51 pm 

"I never saw Elton John, but I did see Van Halen and Ted Nugent...for $7.70! Yah Gotta Love It!
The most I ever paid was when I took my wife to see Barbra Streisand (her favorite besides Steve Perry from Journey). Not really my thing, but I was still blown away by her skill. I think they were $350 each and not awesome seats."

Now I'm not sure how much I paid to see Van Halen and Ted in 1982 - it had to be less then what I said in my earlier post (+$25)

Where are those ticket stubs? Long gone.. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:55 pm 

Markwatkiss wrote:
And Woodstock,a whopping $6.00,or was it $6.50.

:D :D Speaking from experience?

-- 12 Jan 2017 01:00 --

Lol. Just kidding Mark. My older brother walked in for free but the cost to retrieve his stranded car was 10 times that!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:57 pm 
Premium User

Hi CAM members,
If I may explain why concert tix pricing escalation started; well, look to the early 1990's....The Eagles reunited & released Hell Freeze Over CD. ++This is where it unfolded...This CD sold HUGE ##. Next was tour plans. Thus, when dates were announced in USA,
Toronto got a firm show date . Guess what ? Tix were $90! - quite HIGH PRICED at the time. Fans bought All Tix !!
I do not expect you to comprehend my words to the topic at hand. But allow me to state that, I have for 20yrs. enjoyed sales/promotion/marketing positions with 3 major record labels.... I think consumers were left in the dark...SOME of the time!?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:54 am 

The ticketing agency's and band management are to blame for increased prices. However, fuel, transportation and staff can be expensive. The production of each show can cost up to $1M or more I have read. For the bands that play the more intimate settings with 2000-3000 seating typically do not have the uber high production costs and should give us a break on the tickets. Now bands make their money on tours, most make little or zip on cd sales. So touring has been the breadwinner for most bands in the last 10 years at least.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:07 pm 

last concert i attended was back in '87 with the "Waterless" Pink Floyd tour at exhibition stadium.paid $50 a ticket and was so far away watching Nick Mason drumming,his arm was on the upstroke before i heard the beat.said to myself last i am ever doing the concert thing.previous to that were tickets for various bands-Frank Zappa,Rush,Santana,etc-at the Gardens back late 70's early 80's for around $18-20 a ticket.hell i would even get the obstructed view-basically sitting behind the band but up close-tickets for roughly 1/2 the price of the regular view tickets.
most interesting bar experience with any band was when Kim Mitchell went out on his own from Max Webster and played a bar in the basement of the Oshawa Center called Zollys.the night we were there ,the only people in the entire bar were the bartender ,a waitress,the coat check girl,myself with 3 friends and 2 other patrons.that was a total of 9 people and Kim played 2 complete sets.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:30 am 

I have read numerous articles where it was common practice to lose money touring to support a new record release. The current prices to some measure accommodate the real costs associated with touring. Add in the change in revenue streams and you have an answer as to why the tickets are higher.
Ticketmaster is an entirely different issue. Most tickets are never made available to the public but are sold beforehand to large scalpers etc. I have 1st hand knowledge of this .