Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:06 am 

Got an e-mail this morning form the official Pink Floyd site announcing the upcoming release of David Gilmours's new solo album, Rattle That Lock, along with a live concert announcement including North American dates early next year.

He has a show scheduled for March 31 2016 at the Air Canada Center in Toronto. Tickets went on sale, to the general public, not fan club members only or Amex front of the line or any other nonsense like that, and yet when I try to enter the Ticketmaster site I get a 403 message saying that I am, forbidden to enter the site from this server. WTF!?!?!?

Anyone know why this would be? Is the date sold out already? Is the sheer amount of traffic causing the site to crash? Some other possible reason? Can anyone else tell me if they are able to access Ticketmaster's site?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:15 am 

works fine for me, maybe try a different browser.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:17 am 

I can go to Ticketmaster as well. Has to be something on your end.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:27 am 

I got on Ticketmaster but it said they were not able to process my request at this time. Probably there will be tickets on the scalper sites though :( D.R.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:36 am 

I tried Chrome, which is my default browser, I tried Firefox and i tried IE, can't get in with any of them. Very strange as before the time tickets were to go on sale I was able to access the Ticketmaster .ca and .com websites without issue. I haven't changed anything on my PC since this morning. I have no clue.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:43 am 

Got tickets -upper deck 8th row. Looks like it is sold out now

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:58 am 

I was also able to access the site and given the "opportunity" to purchase tickets but, at $558 a (not so great) seat, I think I'll pass. If you're a real die hard fan and absolutely don't want to miss the show though, you could always do your purchase by phone. I was initially disappointed by the fact there was no scheduled date for Montreal, but if the ticket prices are to be in the same range, I'll stick to buying the CD and will be quite content with that, thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:07 am 

I'll buy the Blu-Ray when it is released. Anyone who pays those kinds of prices for tickets, needs a shake.I think I paid $20.00 to see the whole Floyd band in the 70's. These prices don't make sense.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:08 am 

I switched off Tunnelbear, thought it was already off, and i was able to access the site. I thought that software was supposed to help not hinder internet access.

There are some seats still available, but they are all in the upper section of the arena.

He is only scheduled to play four shows in all of North America. New York, Chicago, Toronto, and I think L.A. Perhaps he will add additional shows or N.A. cities in the future, since demand seems very high.

-- 17 Jul 2015 13:19 --

Close to the Edge wrote:
I'll buy the Blu-Ray when it is released. Anyone who pays those kinds of prices for tickets, needs a shake.I think I paid $20.00 to see the whole Floyd band in the 70's. These prices don't make sense.

I will also buy the Blu-ray. The actual prices of the tickets start at $85.50 and go to just over $200.00 for standard tickets. The higher priced tickets, mentioned in an earlier post are either from an after sale third party, legal scalping site, or were more than likely for a V.I.P package. I think the actual ticket prices are in line with inflation using your 1970's price as a guideline.

Back in the seventies and eighties bands would tour, for among other reasons, to boost album sales and would routinely lose money on touring, but would increase their overall earnings from the increased unit sales of records that touring would produce. Triumph was one band that actually tracked statistics for this and they estimated that touring would at minimal double their album sales in comparison to not touring, while they would often lose between $250,000 to $500,000 per tour.

Today it is basically the opposite. Due to sluggish software music sales bands and artists now tour to make money, but they have to charge higher prices for tickets to do so. If you look at overall earnings for touring music performers these days, total net revenue earned for touring dwarfs that which they make form album sales.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:26 am 

I too just tried , $85.50 for last row 300 section.
I will buy the blue ray when it's out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:23 am 

Actually, bands got almost no money for record sales.Their money came from publishing rights and touring. The record companies kept almost all the record sale money.Quite often the record company would give a lump sum to the band so they could afford to go out and promote the record for the company.And more often than not, the publishing rights were split between the band and the record company so the bands were really treated poorly. Things have changed now.Somewhat like athletes on sports teams.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:08 pm 

Close to the Edge wrote:
Actually, bands got almost no money for record sales.Their money came from publishing rights and touring. The record companies kept almost all the record sale money.Quite often the record company would give a lump sum to the band so they could afford to go out and promote the record for the company.And more often than not, the publishing rights were split between the band and the record company so the bands were really treated poorly. Things have changed now.Somewhat like athletes on sports teams.

That would, or perhaps maybe could have been the case for many of the less established acts, but the more established acts would either receive a direct percentage of total gross sales, or for the biggest bands and acts a set sum for a certain number of albums produced, like Aerosmith who signed a contract back in the nineties where they were paid 25 million, or something similar to that, for a four album deal. A band like Triumph, who were already established, were making a percentage of gross sales.

I think a lot of younger people and perhaps some not so young people forget just how big Triumph got in their prime. They played the US festival in California, back in the mid-eighties, a massive rock festival, and were the second to last band to go on before only Van Halen and were billed as co-headliners of the event. Triumph is just one of a long list of bands who talked openly about losing tons of money on tours back in the seventies and eighties. They had a massive production with something like a dozen eighteen wheelers full of gear for each show. The cost of producing this level of complexity, night after night, could not be -re-couped with ticket prices of the day. It's common knowledge that the band would lose between $250,000 and half a million dollars per tour, but they estimated that these tours would more than double their album sales in comparison to not touring at all, which they did for a couple of their albums and record sales suffered badly because of it.

Today it is a different story. Tours are money makers. I'm not saying all bands back in the day lost money touring, but it was not an uncommon thing for the bands who put on the biggest productions and yet kept their ticket prices at the lower end of the scale.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:13 pm 

good sound wrote:
Close to the Edge wrote:

That would, or perhaps maybe could have been the case for many of the less established acts, but the more established acts would either receive a direct percentage of total gross sales, or for the biggest bands and acts a set sum for a certain number of albums produced, like Aerosmith who signed a contract back in the nineties where they were paid 25 million, or something similar to that, for a four album deal. A band like Triumph, who were already established, were making a percentage of gross sales.

I think a lot of younger people and perhaps some not so young people forget just how big Triumph got in their prime. They played the US festival in California, back in the mid-eighties, a massive rock festival, and were the second to last band to go on before only Van Halen and were billed as co-headliners of the event. Triumph is just one of a long list of bands who talked openly about losing tons of money on tours back in the seventies and eighties. They had a massive production with something like a dozen eighteen wheelers full of gear for each show. The cost of producing this level of complexity, night after night, could not be -re-couped with ticket prices of the day. It's common knowledge that the band would lose between $250,000 and half a million dollars per tour, but they estimated that these tours would more than double their album sales in comparison to not touring at all, which they did for a couple of their albums and record sales suffered badly because of it.

Today it is a different story. Tours are money makers. I'm not saying all bands back in the day lost money touring, but it was not an uncommon thing for the bands who put on the biggest productions and yet kept their ticket prices at the lower end of the scale.

As an example,The Beatles received about 2 cents per record from the sales.Then the publishing rights were split as well. The Stones the same.It was not a good situation.I had a relative that worked for Capital Records. He explained it all to me one day. It was a shock.If a band did not write the music, they were wasting their time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:24 pm 
Premium User

Damm, just saw this topic, thanks guys, I bought 2 tickets, theres tickets still available, but buy from ticket master, other sites was charging $70 electronic charge ( whatever that means) ticketmaster charges way less than that. It seems expensive but, cmon we only live once, so spending over 1K in tickets and have a good time, to me its worth it, I paid around $700 to watch Bob Seger this past winter at ACC , even sound quality at ACC is not the best, but we had a great time. Anyway , to bad its in March, long waiting time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:28 pm 

I hope Gilmour would release more dates, none of these work for me (too far or bad timing)....he is one rocker I have not seen which I was really hoping too this tour...

PS - in case folks are interested, i just tried ticketmaster and could pull some reasonably priced prime seats in lower bowl at the ACC...sometimes you just got to keep trying thru the first sale day....