Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:18 pm 

Just a heads-up for Neko fans:

Unfortunately she has only 1 date scheduled in Canada: Danforth Music Hall in Toronto on September 24th.

https://nekocase.com/tour/

Naturally she's not coming to Albuquerque. Her tour bus would get jacked for sure. The closest shows to me are Austin, TX (11+ hours driving time), Irving, TX (9+ hours) and Phoenix (7 hours). Tickets range from $40.00 to $193.00 for VIP packages.

I really want to go to the Phoenix show but I'll have to work a half-day and then leave directly from work. Then a 7-hour drive home after the show. Well I ain't getting any younger and neither is she. If I go I'll post a review of the show. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:05 pm 

You might consider having another driver or two accompany you so you can do short shifts.

I will be very jealous of you if you get to go. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:33 pm 

Good to know.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:23 pm 

Thanks for the heads-up. She's fantastic!

Also, got to hear Ray Lamontagne at Massey Hall a few years ago. Amazing!

Finally, thank you CAM, and all the great people here!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:08 am 

...wow...what a perfect pairing...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:14 pm 

I was a no-show for Neko. I ordered a custom brush guard for my Pathfinder but it didn't arrive in time to get it installed before leaving for her show in Phoenix yesterday. And no way was I gonna drive nearly 900-miles round trip without the brush guard. The last time I drove that far I hit a deer and totalled the Pathfinder. Been there done that. So I'm sorta bummed.

But I have a date with Klara and Johanna Soderberg aka First Aid Kit in September here in Abq at the Sunshine Theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKL4X0PZz7M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJy_MQQhnog

From what I've heard the acoustics in that venue are excellent. I'm somewhat surprised that they chose to perform here instead of Santa Fe but Abq is a college town so maybe that factored into their decision.

I also have tickets to see Jack Casady and Jorma Kaukonen as Electric Hot Tuna in Santa Fe in October. So things are looking up!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:23 pm 

You can catch her at the Vancouver, Edmonton, Regina and Calgary Folk Fests as well. She never disappoints.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:40 am 

hifijones wrote:
I was a no-show for Neko. I ordered a custom brush guard for my Pathfinder but it didn't arrive in time to get it installed before leaving for her show in Phoenix yesterday. And no way was I gonna drive nearly 900-miles round trip without the brush guard. The last time I drove that far I hit a deer and totalled the Pathfinder. Been there done that. So I'm sorta bummed.

Sounds wild and dangerous down there Steve..Then again with all the aggresive drivers here I'd like to have a brush guard for the QEW....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:44 pm 

Oh yeah wild and dangerous is an apt description. Not sure which I fear more: man or beast. And watching the local nightly news every day isn't very reassuring. "If it bleeds it leads"....and there's a lot of bleeding going on around town. This part of the West ain't exactly tamed. Rio Rancho is much safer and quieter than Abq. Living in RR is a fair trade-off for the 35-minute commute to Abq 5 days a week.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:04 pm 

Ray Lamontagne 2018 Tour Schedule
June 19 2018
Charlotte Metro Credit Union Amphitheatre
w/ Neko Case
Charlotte, NC

June 20 2018
The Anthem
w/ Neko Case
Washington, DC

June 22 2018
Festival Pier at Penn's Landing
w/ Neko Case
Philadelphia, PA

June 23 2018
Blue Hills Bank Pavilion
w/ Neko Case
Boston, MA

June 24 2018
Blue Hills Bank Pavilion
w/ Neko Case

June 26 2018
Oakdale Theatre
w/ Neko Case
Wallingford, CT

June 28 2018
Darling's Waterfront Pavilion
w/ Neko Case
Bangor, ME

June 29 2018
MASS MoCA
w/ Neko Case
North Adams, MA

June 30 2018
Jacobs Pavilion at Nautica
w/ Neko Case
Cleveland, OH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:26 am 

hifijones wrote:
Oh yeah wild and dangerous is an apt description. Not sure which I fear more: man or beast. And watching the local nightly news every day isn't very reassuring. "If it bleeds it leads"....and there's a lot of bleeding going on around town. This part of the West ain't exactly tamed. Rio Rancho is much safer and quieter than Abq. Living in RR is a fair trade-off for the 35-minute commute to Abq 5 days a week.

I agree with you, buddy. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:01 pm 

Dammit!

I spent most of my discretionary concert funds on tickets for First Aid Kit and Electric Hot Tuna. How was I to know that Donny & Marie Osmond were coming to town?

It would be a life-changing event to witness Marie shredding on her custom axe.

Oh well....you can't have it all.
Attachment:
ead2d0aa10.jpg
ead2d0aa10.jpg [ 63.13 KiB | Viewed 1182 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:26 am 

...oh man...I'll be hummin' "I'm a Little Bit Country (I'm a Little Bit Rock & Roll)" all day now... :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:52 pm 

Went to the First Aid Kit performance here in Abq last night and it was a massive disappointment.

hifijones wrote:
"From what I've heard the acoustics in that venue are excellent."

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

The acoustics of the venue were piss-poor and the volume was just too LOUD. Yes I'm an Old Fart approaching my 61st B-Day but I have no problem with high volume for the sake of volume if the type of music being played supports it. But this particular groups' music could be classified as a mixture of Alt Country / Folk / Americana and the volume level was just over-the-top. It's a small venue accommodating approx. 1000 people but most in attendance have to stand as seating is extremely limited. So the venue size was a big problem but the bigger problem was the idiot fiddling with the knobs at the soundboard. And evidently those knobs go to "11".

Julia Jacklin opened the show with a solo performance. Just her, a Fender Strat and a small Fender amp on stage with her. I knew there were going to be issues when she started chatting up the audience. It was very hard to understand what she was saying and it got worse when she began to sing.

Things went from bad to worse when First Aid Kit took the stage about an hour later. Again I'm not adverse to high volumes for the right types of music but the loudness levels at this show were much more suited to a Metallica concert.

I stayed for about 45 minutes and then realized if I stayed longer I might do permanent damage to my hearing. And considering the amount of $$$ I've invested in my stereo rig in the past 2 years it just wasn't worth the risk. I was really looking forward to this show because many of my favorite touring acts skip New Mexico altogether. Some will avoid Abq and perform in Santa Fe instead.

Needless to say I won't be attending any more shows at that venue unless it's an acoustic performance. But even then the sq will probably be less than ideal. Lesson learned.