Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Diana Krall
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:06 pm 

a bit off topic but has anyone tried the vinyl UME reissue's of her stuff , I see they are on 180gr vinyl and the price seems pretty good compared to the ORG ones , which I have 2 of but I might pull the trigger on a few of those cheaper ones as only have the CD's ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:09 pm 

dungvn wrote:
hifijones wrote:
For those of you who are unable to 'catch' one of her live performances, get this CD. Redbook doesn't get any better than this. She is in the room with you.
Attachment:
61WksPiaSuL._SL1000_.jpg

get the 45rpm. she is sitting next to you :)
Is there a version where she's sitting in my lap? :lol:

I'm not a fan of her sound either, but tastes vary. It must be hard to always be "on" when performing, so an off night is ok too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:35 pm 

Musicware4u wrote:
hifijones wrote:
For those of you who are unable to 'catch' one of her live performances, get this CD. Redbook doesn't get any better than this. She is in the room with you.
Attachment:
The attachment 61WksPiaSuL._SL1000_.jpg is no longer available

I don't think her husband Elvis Costello wants her in a room alone with other dudes :lol:

But he lets her dress like this

Attachments:
MI0003423501.jpg
MI0003423501.jpg [ 41.1 KiB | Viewed 1016 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:54 pm 

mission66 wrote:
hifijones wrote:
Attachment:
61WksPiaSuL._SL1000_.jpg

+1 on this old album - been listening to it regularly for 20 years. You will not regret purchasing this one!

Just in case there might be some confusion to which version I was referring to it's the XRCD-24 in the link below.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/66950 ... -XRCD24_CD

Not to be confused with the original CD released on Impulse!/GRP in '96. The original was very well recorded and produced and as we all know it became ubiquitous at many audio salons and shows. Since All For You has never been issued on SACD the XRCD-24 is the absolute best version available. Unfortunately the price has gone up; it was $24.95 when I bought mine 6 years ago. I noticed that Amazon still has a few for $32.05.

Trust me if this CD is one of your DK faves you must have this one from JVC. It's Christmas time...treat yourself! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:01 pm 

ripblade wrote:
dungvn wrote:
hifijones wrote:
Attachment:
61WksPiaSuL._SL1000_.jpg

get the 45rpm. she is sitting next to you :)
Is there a version where she's sitting in my lap? :lol:

I'm not a fan of her sound either, but tastes vary. It must be hard to always be "on" when performing, so an off night is ok too.

How about a duet with her husband Elvis Costello sitting on his lap while he sings "No Action". How about Kate Bush like 25 years ago on my lap? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:34 am 

toddc2 wrote:
My wife and I will be there tonight in Kitchener. We have pretty good seats, I'll post a picture if they allow photo's tonight.

Well, photo's were not allowed but I broke the rules at the end of the show and captured this moment. The show was fantastic with very memorable performances of "Temptation" and "A Case of You". The band was really on last night with Anthony Wilson putting in another top notch performance. What a great time!

Attachments:
File comment: Diana Krall 2017
Krall2017.jpeg
Krall2017.jpeg [ 337.77 KiB | Viewed 939 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:12 am 

toddc2 wrote:
toddc2 wrote:
My wife and I will be there tonight in Kitchener. We have pretty good seats, I'll post a picture if they allow photo's tonight.

Well, photo's were not allowed but I broke the rules at the end of the show and captured this moment. The show was fantastic with very memorable performances of "Temptation" and "A Case of You". The band was really on last night with Anthony Wilson putting in another top notch performance. What a great time!

I've never been to the Center in the Square performing arts center but I hear that there is not a bad seat in the house. I agree, her band is incredible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:36 am 

toddc2 wrote:
toddc2 wrote:

Yeah Anthony Wilson (son of arranger Gerald Wilson) is a hell of a talent!
Great (and Musical ) guitar player and can write and arrange as well.

I walked into a stereo store in Ottawa quite a few years ago and saw this beautiful shot of his Gibson Byrdland guitar on a Video, and asked the sales person "who is that".
It was Diana Krall's Live in Paris" DVD, which I bought instantly and it introduced me to his playing. I've been a fan of his ever since.
Ott.

-- 28 Nov 2017 14:46 --

brf wrote:
I like to make one other point, Diana Krall needs to work on her audience interaction and stage presence, especially in between songs when setting up the next song. She sounds and looks incredibly uncomfortable and often does not even finish her thought or sentence.

The thing is: she's a very good Jazz Pianist who can also sing, and has been very lucky to achieve a bit of stardom.
Music was always her focus, not stardom.
Ott.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:24 am 

This is really positive to read! Ever since I heard 'Live in Paris' I knew I had to actually see her live. The Jack Singer is acoustically phenomenal so I'm quite excited! Expensive for tickets, in my opinion, but all concerts these days seem to be.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:17 am 

toddc2 wrote:
toddc2 wrote:

Hey Todd....thanks for the recap & photo....love that place.....Bonamassa owned it a year ago........Jack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:30 am 

dupont62 wrote:
Hey Todd....thanks for the recap & photo....love that place.....Bonamassa owned it a year ago........Jack

Yep, I had the same seats for that show!

Attachments:
File comment: Bonamassa
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG [ 257.03 KiB | Viewed 881 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:45 am 

We were at the Massey Hall show on the 24th. "Temptation" was indeed a highlight; way beyond the recorded version, and worth the price of admission. DK vocals and piano were great, as expected. She spoke very little, but came across sincerely appreciative of the audience. At one point, she paused to put a bandaid on a cut finger, then jokingly pulled it off after the song since it was distracting her--I guess you could say she played 'till her fingers bled :wink: Sound quality was excellent, and as mentioned already her accompanying musicians were outstanding. Lastly, my better half commented that at 53 DK remains gorgeous and could pass for 33 (I would agree, but that might be sexist??).

Attachments:
IMG_4435.jpg
IMG_4435.jpg [ 197.6 KiB | Viewed 857 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:20 pm 

I was on a BCFerry and there was a strange gathering of people milling about the cafeteria seating area trying to look nonchalant. I decided to wander over and see what people were trying to ignore so poorly to see Diana Krall and Elvis Costello surrounded by people who were trying to give them some privacy ... it was a weird thing to watch. Anyway, no one actually approached them or engaged them, and the two of them looked uncomfortable but equally, kind of relaxed with it all.

I was almost ready to suggest that maybe the two of them should just lead a group sing-along and break the tension so both sides could acknowledge the other and move on.

Maybe next time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:47 am 

I am a CBC listener and recall, in the summer of 1992, hearing a then, unknown Naniamo jazz pianist, play music during the Vancouver lunch hour show live from Naniamo.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:13 am 

:D
hifijones wrote:
Attachment:
61WksPiaSuL._SL1000_.jpg

:D This made me pull this cd out and give it a listen. I had forgotten how good this recording really is, :)