Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help keeping sound out
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:19 am 

So I just moved into a new house. The ideal (and only) room for the rig is a main floor family room. The room itself is fine acoustically.

The catch is...the room is directly above the home furnace. I have both an air register in the floor and wall mounted cold air return in the room. Blocking both reduces the noise by at least 50%.

Insulating the floor from below will be tough, as all the cold air returns and piping is nestled nicely between the beams below. The basement is unfinished.

Ssoooo, please offer any suggests for sound insulating the floor from above or below. Currently the room has 9 year old builder grade carpeting, so a thicker carpet and some sort of special underpaid might be the way to go?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:32 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Revealed edge ceiling tiles with roxul laid on top is amazing if possible.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:36 am 

Damp both the hot air and cold air returns as the moving air excites the surrounding thin galvanized metal causing it resonant which in turn is what you are hearing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:32 pm 

You can get in line (duct/tube) mufflers from Wilrep Acoustiguard in Mississauga, ask for Chris. He helped me with my build.
You can also wrap the ducting with thin insulating wrap(from home depot), and even mass loaded vinyl(from wilrep), to help dampen the metallic resonance/ringing of the duct tubing. You can even wrap all the main large rectangular ducting (with thin insulating wrap), coming from the furnace, which will prevent heat/cooling loss to the basement. This worked wonders for me, not only in terms of heating/cooling loss, but also in terms of reducing the acoustic vibration/noise from the ductwork.

If your upstairs listening room has carpet, then roll it up and add 1 or more layers of mass loaded vinyl to the floor, before rolling the carpet back down and re-kicking it under the trim. Again, Chris at Wilrep should have a multitude of options/ideas available for you. Also adding inexpensive strips of foam sealant in the tiny crack around the perimeter of the door to my basement was astonishingly effective for only a couple bucks.

I also finished my furnace room with resilient channel, roxul in the ceiling and two layers of 5/8" drywall with green glue in between. This keeps furnace noise in the furnace room and out of both my upstairs listening room and the adjacent basement listening room.