Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:31 am 

I am currently building a garage which will have a listening room 11x20 with a sloped ceiling height of 11 to 14 feet. I planned on acoustically treating the first reflection points. I have very heavy drapes that would go all the way across the front short wall which would be behind the speakers which will be out about 3 ft from this wall and 2 ft from side walls. I will of course experiment with speaker placement. The speakers are Sonus Faber Cremona M floorstanders. My question would be does this sound like a good plan.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:50 am 

Sorry man I don't have an answer...but...is that big German Gasthaus still there in Peachland? When I lived on the coast got up there often...the "excuse" was "visiting the in-laws"...the reason was that place... :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:51 pm 

Heavy drapes across the back wall sounds like a great idea, not least because they can be adjusted easily.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:02 pm 
Premium User

Stone wrote:
Sorry man I don't have an answer...but...is that big German Gasthaus still there in Peachland? When I lived on the coast got up there often...the "excuse" was "visiting the in-laws"...the reason was that place... :D

Absolutely! it's time for a drive south :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:04 pm 

If the curtains can hide a moving blanket that is nailed to the wall even more better..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:57 pm 

Yes Stone .The Gasthaus On The Lake is still there and I am sure making lots of money on their sticky pudding and their awesome german brews. Yes James it sure is worth the drive south. I lived outside of Vernon for ten years before moving to Peachland a year ago. I love it here but do miss Vernon and 30th ave with Spinners and now Hifi Attic.

-- 07 Jan 2017 21:59 --

Thanks Glenerd, I just happen to have a couple moving blankets. I wonder if I could get away without having to put in bass traps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:11 pm 

did you start to listen ti it first without the drapes? you may not need them....even sometimes is better to have just shelves there with books or Lps/Cds etc...is there still the schnitzel night at that restaurant?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:27 pm 

Thanks ,I believe Snitzel night is every Thursday. I didn,t realize that this eatery was the highlight to many who visit Peachland.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:33 pm 

From my own recent experience, I suggest treating more than just first reflection points.
My room is 15x25 with 8' ceilings. First reflection points were treated with a 4'x4' skyline diffuser, along with four 4'x2' broadband absorption panels to control some flutter echo you get with bare, parallel walls, and a bass trap in each front corner.
Room has remained as described above, for a few years and saw many equipment changed/upgrades and so on.
Soundstage was never a problem, nor were bass modes... however, when the volume went up to my liking at times, the sonic quality became compressed, cluttered... always blamed it on this piece of equipment or another.

Two weeks ago a friend and myself built many 4'x2' broadband absorbtion panels of high quality.
I added 10 of these in my room, along with a mix of skyline diffusers (36sq/ft thereof) and without a shadow of a doubt, this was the single most pronounced improvement in sonic quality I have ever witnessed in my system, no change of equipment of any sort has made this much of a difference.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:08 am 

canisbay wrote:
Thanks ,I believe Snitzel night is every Thursday. I didn,t realize that this eatery was the highlight to many who visit Peachland.

I lived in Germany for almost 10 years...that place is hands down the most authentic Gasthaus outside Germany! Though there are a few great ones in the Alsace region of France :D