Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:34 pm 

do not get me wrong..I was buying VTL from David before he even moved to US....the only ones with the BASS are the Wotans....sorry....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:45 pm 

Have you tried positioning the speakers in front of the absorbers....or bare corners directly, removing the absorbers out of the picture?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:19 pm 

Sounds like you need to spend some time with both speaker positioning & listening position. As said, walk around the room are you hearing peaks & nulls? You're probably currently sitting in a null. Dynaudio's are typically known for a big/full bottom end, so the issue shouldn't be speaker related. Not sure what they typically require for electronics to get the best out of them though. I would assume the rear ports aren't plugged? & have you tried listening without the bass traps?

Not too long ago I swapped to a pair of Dynaudio Emit M20 bookshelves in my second system as they were fuller in the bottom end. The current room they are in is 13' deep & 32' long, with them positioned in the middle of the long wall. Their rears are ~1.5' from the wall, obviously not bass monsters for that size of speaker in that size of room/position, but they are by no means bass light & can easily enjoy them when listening to audio. Now we also use the setup for tv mostly, so I have setup one of my small sealed subs to fill in the lowest registers but again, I could easily do without for audio only.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:42 pm 

Too much bass reinforcement can cause excited bass in areas that you are not sitting.

If the room is long enough, divide it into thirds and pull the speakers out into the first third section, sit along the second and have the last third behind you open. Large speakers and electrostats can benefit from this as a starting point.

If the room is not quite long enough for that, try pulling your speakers out an equal distance that you will be sitting from the wall behind you.

Best of luck! And let us know what you try and what works.

I would also ditch the treatment until you've found the position you like and integrate it back in one piece at a time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:04 am 

Hard to tell from pic but but move the speakers to about 3' from each sidewall.
Then distance between speakers to seated position
Maybe lay 1 of those black absorption panels the long way behind speakers midway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:28 am 

The solution is simple, move the system back upstairs! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:35 am 

Remove the bass traps?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:13 am 

I would actually measure your response at the seating position.
It is possible you may actually have more accurate response now, you just miss the oomph of the wooden floor.

My only warning is once you measure, you cannot "unsee" it. You will always know your room issues, and some are hard to combat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:34 am 

mdl_tor wrote:
I would actually measure your response at the seating position.
It is possible you may actually have more accurate response now, you just miss the oomph of the wooden floor.

My only warning is once you measure, you cannot "unsee" it. You will always know your room issues, and some are hard to combat.

+1 and lots of other great advice and possibilities in this thread. Clean bass sounds like 'not enough' bass for a lot of people and 'flat' bass response is not always preferred either despite what people claim. Many have been conditioned to like a little 'bloat' and 'boost' and that isn't necessarily 'wrong' but often people get confused between what they should like and what they actually do like. Like 'mdl_tor' implied, if you don't measure, how do you really know what you actually have and what you actually like?

The speakers also look a little small for the room and maybe it might be fun to explore some of those larger speakers that have little 'waf' but will give you the scale of sound a room like that deserves. Maybe time to go down the road of open baffle, horns, multiple 12 inch drivers, 15's or even 18's? Perhaps too much of a slippery slope but an option.

I would lean to a couple of subwoofers at a minimum if you are keeping those speakers and moving seating and speakers to some compromise position for better sound instead of where they look like they should go.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:51 am 

Is you new room a closed room or does it open up into another space i.e. L-shaped etc?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:57 am 
Premium User

Agree, the information here is stellar. I am no expert on this subject but I often see recommendations to position the speakers along the long axis of the room. Worth a try? I have basement room issues but bass isn't one of them. One issue for me may be a low ceiling. What are you working with height-wise compared to upstairs?

Last edited by Tangram on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:00 am 

Dropped ceiling will absorb considerable energy from a pressure source ie low bass. You are probably moving the tiles a tad. Rigidify this and then add 4 subs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:36 am 

As a few people may have already mentioned, it seems like you have the system set up on the short wall of your room. Try the setup along the long wall of the room.
Also as brf asked, is it a closed room or does the room open up behind you where you took the picture? If so, there is your culprit. Then you either have to set up on the long wall, or add 2 or 4 subs :)
I had the same issue when I had my setup in the basement. The system was set up in a large room and on top of them it was an open room. I couldn't get any bass anywhere near the listening position but as I moved back towards the back wall (which happened to be 15ft away) the bass was rumbling....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:01 am 

The best advice here is to measure the response at your MLP and work speaker and MLP placement from there. Absorption is great for bass accuracy but it requires more SPL from your system to generate the same "percieved" loudness as a non treated room. Also a lot of people perceive accurate bass as being anemic, measurements should tell you what the culprit is.
You can also enter you room dimensions into many of the room mode calculators available online and get a picture of what your room does.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:49 pm 
Premium User

brf wrote:
Is you new room a closed room or does it open up into another space i.e. L-shaped etc?

Its open into an L shape... Think I should close it off?
This is why I'm half ass finishing my basement so I can get an idea of how I want to
lay everything out for best audio purposes...

-- 04 Jan 2017 00:50 --

Thanks everyone for all the tips I'm gonna fiddle around and see what I can find!