Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Separate equip room
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:45 am 

Cheesiest way ever to brag about having a wine cellar! :wink: Got any of the good stuff, or just critter wines? Let's have the inventory.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:26 am 

Always a real benefit to getting the electronics out of the listening space. There is a better signal to noise. While you are at it would be preferable to run a dedicated electrical to power all the equipment. 20 amp is great but most resi systems and home theatres are quite happy with a single 15 amp.

For IR sensors and switchgear ask your local custom shop about Xantech or Speakercraft (cloned Xantech) numerous kits available at reasonable prices, and the wire type for this is cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:28 am 

mcgsxr wrote:
I cannot comment on whether or not you should leverage your wine cellar to accommodate your gear, but I can positively comment on getting the gear out of the listening room.

When I finished the basement, I used part of the unfinished side (utility room) as a media closet. I framed in a section of the room by the stairs and put in a small (18 inch) door. Added a light at the top, a shelf for my gigabit switch, router, modem and associated OneAC power conditioner. I moved my Flexi into the space, and built a 2nd smaller version for dedicated netbook, HD's, DAC, and other smaller gear.

I do still use some vibration control on the gear, but it seems less critical, with the gear in a separate room.

I filled all the interior walls with Roxul Safe n Sound, so that helps with some sound transmission.

The room looks much cleaner with no gear in it.

It does require long in wall speaker wire (correctly rated) in my case as I don't run balanced amps.

Thanks for posting these pic's! I do like the look and if there's any benefit sonically, well, that is just a bonus. Nicely done! I'll do the same when I complete my move. My cellar consists of 5" concrete walls faced in Styrofoam and then framed and drywalled. Humidity isn't an issue and the temp is cooler but not cold. Vibrations would be at virtually zero so a great experiment if there was some sort of measurement beyond my ears.

Well worth it to me.

Pic during framing.

Pic when finished.

Shot from the chair.

-- 16 Nov 2016 16:31 --

EL34 wrote:
Cheesiest way ever to brag about having a wine cellar! :wink: Got any of the good stuff, or just critter wines? Let's have the inventory.

hahaha... it does look that way but seriously, I'm more of a consumer than a collector. I had to pair down what was there to make room for the new inventory. Down to mainly daily drinkers now...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:13 pm 

Update to this "equipment room" project. (No longer "wine cellar");

I've now completed the wiring of a dedicated 20 amp power line which is probably over kill as I have great power to my home but thought, while I'm at it.... Cored an 1.5" hole through the concrete wall, styro-board and drywall to pass speaker runs through.
The equipment shelving is coming along. If I could just dispose of some more storage stuff... (in time.. :wink: .). I'll reuse the same isolation tweaks but seriously think they won't have any effect as this is a completely solid concrete bunker. The only noise/vibrations will be from within the TT (motor and stylus) and possibly electric current/hum of the tubes.

I'm not expecting any huge SQ gain from the equip isolation but possibly a slight improvement in Listening Room acoustics by removing the added furnishings. Best of all, the walk from my listening position to change an album is almost identical.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:37 am 

Getting a conventional turntable if your're into vinyl in another area away from extraneous vibrations and feedback is a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:12 am 

Moving all my electronics out of the listening room definitely had a positive effect.
However after a few months, the inconvenience of having to leave the room each time to change records or make adjustments became a nuisance.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:51 am 

Canadiansnowland wrote:
I notice a lot of people place their equipment on a stand between the speakers. I am guilty of this, but I am to understand this is probably the worst possible location. Moving to another room is probably worth while. Quite honestly though I would be more concerned about the effect the vibration is having on your wine. If you are a serious wine collector you want to make sure your audio isn't creating any vibration in your cellar.
That being said, audio and wine... I know who should be throwing the new years party.

There is a thread on this exact topic. I do it because I really don't have any other options. That said, I can't say that I'm hearing any bad effects. In fact putting the equipment stand between the speakers has allowed me to shorten up my cables and dress them behind the equipment much neater (instead of the usual rat's nest). Little things but an improvement nonetheless.
FWIW I'd love to have a separate equipment room but I'd have to sell the house. :(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:14 am 
Premium User

mahatma1 wrote:
Canadiansnowland wrote:
I notice a lot of people place their equipment on a stand between the speakers. I am guilty of this, but I am to understand this is probably the worst possible location. Moving to another room is probably worth while. Quite honestly though I would be more concerned about the effect the vibration is having on your wine. If you are a serious wine collector you want to make sure your audio isn't creating any vibration in your cellar.
That being said, audio and wine... I know who should be throwing the new years party.

There is a thread on this exact topic. I do it because I really don't have any other options. That said, I can't say that I'm hearing any bad effects. In fact putting the equipment stand between the speakers has allowed me to shorten up my cables and dress them behind the equipment much neater (instead of the usual rat's nest). Little things but an improvement nonetheless.
FWIW I'd love to have a separate equipment room but I'd have to sell the house. :(

I find it interesting that we go to great lengths to "isolate" our equipment yet most of us have our equipment in the same room as our heart pounding bass audio frequencies.

While an equipment room isn't convenient and I can't stare longingly at my gear while listening, I think having my turntable in particular in a separate room from my music is peobably the best audio tweak I could ever make.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:22 am 

Tangram wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:
Canadiansnowland wrote:

I find it interesting that we go to great lengths to "isolate" our equipment yet most of us have our equipment in the same room as our heart pounding bass audio frequencies.
My turntable sits on a Target wall shelf mounted to a load bearing wall. Not a perfect arrangement but not too bad. Like a lot of things, it's a compromise.
While an equipment room isn't convenient and I can't stare longingly at my gear while listening, I think having my turntable in particular in a separate room from my music is peobably the best audio tweak I could ever make.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:36 am 

For me, my equipment room is approx the same number of paces away to change albums etc as it is currently between my speakers in my listening room. I had questioned the lack of the loving stare at the equip but I'll give it a try.
I've been making some cool equipment changes recently and will be a few weeks before my new speaker cables arrive. I hope to have things settled in enough to try to discern any sonic change after the official equip move time. As usual, very hard to get a definitive judgement as a lot can be imagined.

I'll do my best to report back with my impressions (hopefully without imagined results).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:02 am 

As a follow up to this topic, I did finally get my system moved to the separate room beside the listening room. It took longer than I had anticipated due to waiting for the new (longer) speaker wires to be made.
Overall, I can't determine if there is a SQ improvement as I can switch back and forth but, needless to say, it wouldn't be worse. I'd like to say it sounds better cause it sounds awesome!! But...
What is interesting is what I can now hear in the equipment room! As the components and TT are now isolated from the sound production, I can now hear how much noise is produced by these pieces. The usual, tube noise isn't more than I had noticed but is now more noticeable. The TT motor (VPI HW-19) is really pronounced. There's nothing wrong with it but in a dead quiet room... I guess it would be the same as disconnecting your speakers and playing and LP in a small room environment.
I'd be interested in trying an external motor and trying to isolate any added sound of that drive unit. But, would that just remove any motor sound transmitting through the plinth/frame? I think the answer is yes but I'd still audibly hear the motor in that room...

Anyways, just a few reflections. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:26 am 

CherryAudio wrote:
What is interesting is what I can now hear in the equipment room! As the components and TT are now isolated from the sound production, I can now hear how much noise is produced by these pieces. The usual, tube noise isn't more than I had noticed but is now more noticeable. The TT motor (VPI HW-19) is really pronounced. There's nothing wrong with it but in a dead quiet room... I guess it would be the same as disconnecting your speakers and playing and LP in a small room environment.

Anything you can do to lower your noise floor will result in better low-level detail.
Its like removing weight in your car vs adding more horsepower. One is cheaper, one is easier.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:01 am 

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
CherryAudio wrote:

Anything you can do to lower your noise floor will result in better low-level detail.
Its like removing weight in your car vs adding more horsepower. One is cheaper, one is easier.

I don't think the noise is unusual but now more noticeable in a quiet environment. But it does beg to have more attention in removing as much as possible if the noise is being transferred through the playback.