Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Separate equip room
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:32 pm 

I've spend a lot of time working on sound treating my listening room and have certainly noticed some big sonic improvements. It was suggested to me that removing the system components from (currently between the speakers) can have some added affect. I'm considering moving all my main components to a concrete walled wine cellar immediately beside my listening room which would leave only the speakers and listening chairs.
Wondering if others have found sonic benefits from removing the equip and, on a visual perspective, opinions on a stripped down listening environment??

Post subject: Re: Separate equip room
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:45 pm 

Cool idea! I have my gear remote located in a cabinet outside my room. It works very well. There is an ir repeater in the cabinet and a sensor in the room. Doing something like this allows you to put noisy components with your gear and not affect your listening experience. Less gear in the room lets you quickly realise they are tools to get a job done and nothing more. You can focus on the content instead. Thats a good thing. The only thing in my room is the transport (oppo player). It makes a big difference and makes for a cleaner install.

Eg of things that directly benefit from remote locating:

Amps with cooling fans
UPS units
A computer tower
Network gear
Gear with bright LED lights
Etc.

You may wat to consider providing an active means of ventillating the room. Gear in smal spaces gets warm fast. A vent in the door top and bottom might even be enough if needed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:48 pm 

While not moved to a different room, I did move the TT from a high sound pressure area to a low pressure area.

The audio rack was previously placed in the corner where bass accumulated and where the rear wave of the panel fired directly towards. The rack is now midway along the room dimension and, as a result of the speaker for-in, is 90 degrees from the direct wave and sits in the dipole null.

The sonic result is more clarity, improved dynamics, cleaner bass, and more detail.

The visual result is also nice less to see and distract me during playback.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:55 pm 
Premium User

You mention a concrete wine cellar. Ventilated? Humid? Heated?

IMO, the only downside to remotely locating gear is that you can't see it or manually operate it if it in not remote controllable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
You mention a concrete wine cellar. Ventilated? Humid? Heated?

IMO, the only downside to remotely locating gear is that you can't see it or manually operate it if it in not remote controllable.

It is vented, not humid and heated but kept cool. I was more concerned with heating the wine but I relocated that so it shouldn't be affected.
Operating the gear isn't a problem as the travelling distance is about the same (10') from the listening position. However, I was wondering if I'd miss the contemplative stare at the gear that develops during a great cut. It almost takes away from the experience.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:25 pm 

Reduce vibration caused by sound waves on equipment is always a good idea, long interconnect (which often means the need for XLR) is usually better than long speaker wire, unless your amp has fans or generate a lot of heat, keeping the amp in the room between speakers low on the floor is not a bad option.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:25 pm 

In my last house I relocated all sources to the dining room and ran the wires under the floor in the (unfinished) basement to the living room where the amps and speakers where. Yes it was a bit more work however never had an issue while when the source was out of the living room. The sources skipped pathetically when the energy got high in the room before relocation.... just like my new house but now I cannot get them easily out of the living room.

I would suggest getting the source out of the listing room if high energy is involved. You would need to get up there to effect an LP and highly unlikely that someone with high end gear would try to pound on it hard enough to skip a cd player with decent error correction if you do keep them in the room though. Not a lot of effect of sound waves on digital sources unless you get really up there and at that point we are not speaking of high end gear for all intents and purposes. LP's different story though.

By the way if your wine cellar is a good one there will be quite a bit of humidity and will be rather damp as the target is around 70% humidity and 12deg C or so as that is ideal. Not a good idea for gear there though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:52 pm 

I'm in the process of setting up a closet to hold my gear, similar to what you see in some high end home theatre setups. It's in the music room, but off to one side, well back from the speakers. It's not currently ventilated, so I plan to watch the temperature in there, to see if I need to allow for that! As it will be somewhat open to the room, I'll also have to make sure it's not functioning as a bass trap! That would be bad for the turntable :shock: !
Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:09 pm 

I notice a lot of people place their equipment on a stand between the speakers. I am guilty of this, but I am to understand this is probably the worst possible location. Moving to another room is probably worth while. Quite honestly though I would be more concerned about the effect the vibration is having on your wine. If you are a serious wine collector you want to make sure your audio isn't creating any vibration in your cellar.
That being said, audio and wine... I know who should be throwing the new years party.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:34 pm 

In my house, before The Incident, I had a special room within a special room. The listening room I finally got to build had a little room off it. More of an alcove, maybe, about 5 or 6 feet square, with a lovely French door so I could still see my gear if I wanted. Small, to be sure, but a room nonetheless. It had always been my dream to have my turntable in a separate room from my speakers, so I had it in there, along with my preamp and DAC. I ran long interconnects to my amp and speakers out in the main room. It was glorious.

Now, I live in an apartment and my former listening room is full of cat stuff. On the other hand, there is an up side. I have a lot more time to actually listen to music on my system--just not as loud as I might like.

How's that far irony?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:49 pm 

I have a dedicated music room and my equipment is positioned between the speakers and I believe that is the appropriate location.As for equipment vibration affecting wine in a cellar,now that's a good one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:52 pm 

Canadiansnowland wrote:
I notice a lot of people place their equipment on a stand between the speakers. I am guilty of this, but I am to understand this is probably the worst possible location. Moving to another room is probably worth while.

I'm guilty of this too. But I like looking at my gear.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:34 pm 

My upstairs listening room has most of the gear in between the speakers. I have spent a small fortune on vibration control. (Harmonic Resolution Systems) Every step, footers, top weights/dampers, platforms, stand, was a massive leap in performance/listenability.
For the recently completed downstairs listening area. I decided to soundproof. But I was also lucky enough to be able to move all the equipment to a separate room just behind the wall where the speakers are closest to. Only the speaker wires pass through the wall. Soundproofing on both sides of the wall plus a solid core door with foam sealed seams, ensures silence and vibration free equipment. This becomes especially noticeable as the volume creeps higher. Never becomes harsh or edgy even at rock concert levels. Yipeeee.
Bit of a pain to run to the other room to adjust the volume, but I do enjoy keeping the gear and especially the turntable out of sight and in a locked room, away from my curious children.
There is still a cable box and a blu ray player in the room, but these are for non critical listening/movie watching. My main cd transport is in the other room. After experimentation I realized that the lightweight components like cd transports and tone arm/carts were the most negatively effected by exposure to sound vibrations. Heavy components like amplifiers were more resistant to vibration distortion. Unless of course your tubes are going micro-phonic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:58 pm 

My proposed "equipment room", along with my listening room are thoroughly soundproofed and the equip room is a concrete bunker so no worries about vibrations (could be really good) for the tubes, TT cart, etc. I do have a job of boring a hole through the concrete to pass the speaker cables and keeping them down to approx 20'.
As for the wine, I'm prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice! After all, it's all about the hobby and the music... 8)
It's always hard to imagine what would be heard by making the change. Vibrations can't help the sound and I don't overly blast the volume. Keeping the system away from grandkids little hands might just encourage me to make the effort.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:37 am 

I cannot comment on whether or not you should leverage your wine cellar to accommodate your gear, but I can positively comment on getting the gear out of the listening room.

When I finished the basement, I used part of the unfinished side (utility room) as a media closet. I framed in a section of the room by the stairs and put in a small (18 inch) door. Added a light at the top, a shelf for my gigabit switch, router, modem and associated OneAC power conditioner. I moved my Flexi into the space, and built a 2nd smaller version for dedicated netbook, HD's, DAC, and other smaller gear.

I do still use some vibration control on the gear, but it seems less critical, with the gear in a separate room.

I filled all the interior walls with Roxul Safe n Sound, so that helps with some sound transmission.

The room looks much cleaner with no gear in it.

It does require long in wall speaker wire (correctly rated) in my case as I don't run balanced amps.

Well worth it to me.

Pic during framing.

Pic when finished.

Shot from the chair.

Mark in Burlington

Last edited by mcgsxr on Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.