Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:31 am 

The speakers in question are Totem Arros. I'll try to see if there a differences with the doors!

Cheers guys!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:26 am 

Hi, nice looking room. 8)

As mentioned closing the doors while listening will help with the symmetry your room provides in acoustic reinforcement. The sofas being close to your speakers will create a deep notch I predict at 200hz. This corresponds closely with the dip your front wall will create at about 280hz. The coincidence effect your front wall glass creates can be mitigated by installing cellular shades. I am a fan of the cordless type that can be pulled up or down from the top or bottom. This way you can allow light in while controlling sound reflection in the lateral plane only. Plus no pull cords to mess with.

The bare, hard surfaces of your room will result in a longish decay time for a listening space. The leather seating will provide little absorption at mid to high frequencies. Since your room is a large and open space you may get away with it to some degree. Having a helper create a loud broadband impulse with a balloon pop at each of your speaker locations while you are seated in your listening position will show you what is happening to some degree when percussive content loads your room. If you hear a smooth decay without any pitched ring you may be good to go.

It's hard to balance acoustical performance with everyday living spaces. Your best bet will be to try to relocate some of the furniture located so close to the speakers and move them out into the room if possible. Adding plush wall hangings will help with long decay times if you don't want to resort to typical absorption panels.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:39 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

This is actually quite a good room. The main problem is the speakers are too close together. Move them a foot out either way and you'll get much better imaging and a generally bigger sound. Putting stuff on the back wall will not make a huge difference because the reflection from that wall is the last one you will hear. It will be long after the original sound and certainly the ceiling and side wall sound, even the back wall. This speaker is really too small for any decent bass in this room. Consider adding a sub or switching to a larger speaker with more generous bass. I guarantee you can get A+ sound is this room without any acoustic treatments.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:52 pm 

Now that is funny,just look at all the corners for bass build up,let alone the glass.
Any room will benefit from room treatment :lol: ..
Don't believe everything you read on here,perhaps go onto gearslutz site and post your pict,I'm sure you will get a different response than from some distant planet comment.
It is a nice room but to say it doesn't need reflection treatment or bass traps or anything else is ........ :roll: .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:34 pm 

It's not a dedicated space. :( Can't go whole hog on this one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:16 am 

msommers wrote:
The living room has an entire floor-ceiling glass wall which is the only place I can place the speakers. Distance from speaker to listening on the center couch is 2.5-3m.

1. Consider placing big leafy plants behind the speakers.

2. there's a lot of advice how to treat home recording studio. much of it will be applicable to condo living room. For example Hunter Douglas sells boxy Venetian blinds that are awesome to treat windows from sound reflections.

3. don' t forget the ceiling. treatment could be done in the same paint tone and berely visible.

4. Play nice with the neighbour below and above. They'll be less likely to complain about the "noise" coming from your unit. A fruit basket for the Xmas could go a long way.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:52 am 
Premium User

I have not read all the posts
but I applaud your having 3 bedrooms (wow)

Have you considered separating the audio and the video system?

My electronics and speakers combo can be heard, played back at low to reasonable levels, anywhere in my 2 bedroom condo.

I prefer my audio system to project out into the length of the room; and the video, the width (2 channel home theater minus any subscription to a TV server or even Netflix).

I still use 2 line conditioners: One hosts as many as 10 outlets, the other 6.

Good luck; it may take some time, Simon in BC :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:59 am 

get rid of the computer table on the right and instal the TV on that wall(with 3D wall mount to get it turn in all directions) use the space where the speakers are now...just some more drapes on the windows sides and spread the speakers more side and out...it should sound pretty good that way...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:51 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will do my best to do mild reorganizing and see what differences can be picked up. Cheers!