Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:11 pm 

Hello all. I'm wondering if there is literally anything I can do to improve the acoustics in our condo. The living room has an entire floor-ceiling glass wall which is the only place I can place the speakers. Distance from speaker to listening on the center couch is 2.5-3m.

Please see attached for a view our of living room. Apologise for the clutter as we are in the middle of reorganizing the 3rd bedroom. - Matt

Attachments:
_DSC7943.JPG
_DSC7943.JPG [ 974.8 KiB | Viewed 2186 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:22 pm 

Heavy drapes on a track so that you can easily open and close.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:45 pm 

Reverse center couch and speakers/TV location if possible, after hanging heavy drapes on the window, cover the TV with wool throw/rug (experiment with different weight) when listen to music.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:13 pm 

Or you could use real acoustic panels with stands and forget the mid/high killing drapes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:18 pm 

Looks pretty good if you ask me. Anything in particular with the sound you hope to address?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:29 pm 

A very good HP set up would be my recommendation... half joking here... not easy to compromise a nice living space like this one and a fair audio set up... a friend of mine is in pretty much the same situation and he tried a lot of different set ups, panels, etc. In his condo, the main problem is bass. His best set up was near field to kill the room effects.. 5x5x5. Or a hp set up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:48 pm 
Premium User

I know that my eyesight is failing, but the speakers seem to be awfully close to the glass back wall. How far are they?

In a near field setup, it is important that the speakers be far enough from the back and side walls to remove the room boundary effects from the equation, so pulling them out even more than the usual 3 feet would be a first step. That back glass wall is also a major problem in terms of reflectivity, so bass trapping/heavy drapes/speaker high sound absorbing panels directly behind the speaker would also be a huge help.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:19 pm 

What do you guys think of getting panels to put behind the speakers? Like some designer type deal to either double-sided tape or prop against the window?

From the glass they are 12" or so. Pulling them out more is possible most of the time but does impeed sitting room for the furniture.

Drape change might be hard to convince the Mrs haha

Last edited by msommers on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:59 pm 

Here is an extensive lay out that GIK acoustics would offer.First steps are always corner bass traps and controlling first reflections which include side walls,ceiling above listening position,directly behind the listening position and even behind the speakers.You might have a difficult room but its also large.I'm not an acoustic tech but you could focus on whats appealing to your wife and also the closest reflection points.I found panels to be a benefit behind my speakers..

Attachments:
GIK_labeled.jpg
GIK_labeled.jpg [ 133.22 KiB | Viewed 1966 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:05 pm 

That's great for visual and product no. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:17 am 

RafL wrote:
Looks pretty good if you ask me. Anything in particular with the sound you hope to address?

Ditto,

First and foremost is bi-lateral symmetry[ala Augspurger].
Do you have doors on those openings?Close them when listening.
Toe-in your speakers to keep splash off the walls.
Think of dividing the room in two using those bookcases as half walls [colonnade].
Just some suggestions that cost nothing.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:51 am 

This is quite a difficult room, for sure. Lots of hard, reflective surfaces to contend with.

With the way you have this room laid out, finding the prefect 'sweet spot' isn't really practical, so I would recommend striving for best coverage by experimenting with speaker placement (i.e. elevated, in the corners, etc.).

Anything you can do to reduce the reflective surfaces will help immensely. Instead of acoustic panels, you can hang decorative throw rugs. And don't forget the ceiling.

Have fun experimenting!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:54 am 

I had almost as much glass in my old place. The sound was actually much better than my new smaller, heavily treated room. I just experimented with speakers until I found one I loved in that room and used blackout curtains behind them.

I also pulled the speakers about 4 feet into the room. Something I cannot do now. The bass was much better like that with a transmission line speaker. Magnepans worked well in a similar position. Once I had them out enough I ditched the subwoofer I was using and it never sounded better.

Alternatively, some speakers work quite well a little closer to back walls. But IME when dealing with glass as the back wall, pulling them out a bit and covering the glass with anything will do a lot for imaging.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:07 am 

msommers wrote:
What do you guys think of getting panels to put behind the speakers? Like some designer type deal to either double-sided tape or prop against the window?

From the glass they are 12" or so. Pulling them out more is possible most of the time but does impeed sitting room for the furniture.

Drape change might be hard to convince the Mrs haha

Some take advantage of that hard surface for bass boost and the early reflections to create the Haas effect.
Might be able to push them closer to the window and spread farther apart with toe-in to create your 60 degree listening window.
Again free.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:24 am 

Use the third bedroom as your listening room..use a hideabed sofa if it has to be used for company.