Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:35 pm 

Thanks,
It'll be a while before I have the time and room. Right now I'm in an apartment that is brutal acoustically, too many glass walls and vinyl flooring..yuk.
Once I settle with my ex I'll be on the hunt for a house that I can do a dedicated room in again.
I get what you're saying, in the end it's still about personal taste. Prior to Audyssey XT32 "Pro" I didn't like any form of RC in the top end, I found that most I tried did more harm than good up there. The Audyssey didn't have the option of just doing the bottom end but the sum of all the parts was much better with it engaged than not. I found it to substantially enhance spacial rendering in my system and frankly thought it sounded more "natural" as well.
I can't think of one I tried that didn't help the bass to some degree, and at times it was hard to give up that improvement for an untouched top end.. damned if you do damned if you don't...
Bottom line is with tools like this, like it or hate it, you can actually hear the difference it makes and also "see" it. It's great feedback.
I might get the ddrc-24 to try it in my second system in an active bi-amp set up, which is something I've yet to try.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:39 am 

I'm bummed it wasnt as successful for me as it is for others. I'm going to give it some thought and revisit it later. I think changing the frequency response above the bass region starts to affect the off axis mid/treble energy in a way that is hard to predict. My room is already treated with these things in mind, and off axis energy is well balanced with direct energy. Boosting the treble region with an EQ (any EQ) would probably mean changing speaker toe in to compensate for more off axis energy. Kind of a domino effect. Complicated dominoes. :) I'm curious how this works in an untreated room.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:01 am 

Granted this product is being evaluated as a 2 channel enhancement. My experience with EQ is for multi-channel.

I have a small dedicated room that is acoustically treated and I run Audyssey XT through my Denon receiver and recently added an Anti-Mode 8033C to better integrate my two subs in monaural configuration. I agree that the critical element is getting the bass right. It improves everything when it's right.

I also believe (agree) the most common response to accurate bass is to initially find it anemic, it's pretty simple since most rooms tend to "bloat" bass and since our ability to hear bass diminishes as it get lower in frequency or amplitude. Most people get "used" to their room's bass response.

Audiois1st

Check out My Streams: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933