Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:28 pm 

GIK would recommend two 4 to 6 inch thick OC 703/705 panels right where you're media rack is.They consider that position as a 1'st reflection.They would also recommend to bass trap the rear corners as well.Both GIK and Reatraps will tell you that you can't have too many corner bass traps.If you're concerned about too much HF absorption just use the OC 703 FRK or apply your own to the panels you have...

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:38 pm 

kwadzilla wrote:
I hate to be asking too much, but can you get a closer photo of the diffuser? I'm interested in how you cut each fractal to depth into the foam...

On top of each step I put two layers of 1/2" foam. Bottom at 43mm. Top at 17mm. It was going to be too much of a pain to try and make the grooved fractal design with the foam. The method I went with worked out just fine. :)

Here is a pic I took to mock up the first one before I commited to cutting and gluing them all.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:45 pm 

As the Brits would say, "you got stuck in."

That's genius. I was trying to wrap my brain around how you did the fractals. Good job sir!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:35 am 

Itsnotluck wrote:
GIK would recommend two 4 to 6 inch thick OC 703/705 panels right where you're media rack is.They consider that position as a 1'st reflection.They would also recommend to bass trap the rear corners as well.Both GIK and Reatraps will tell you that you can't have too many corner bass traps.If you're concerned about too much HF absorption just use the OC 703 FRK or apply your own to the panels you have...

This would be a good method in a raw room with sparse furnishings. Toole also suggests this strategy in his book. Good advice for others. :)

You can get away from bass trapping every room corner (12 if you are hardcore) by implementing multiple subs and setting them up on the front wall 2nd order null points. I was able to focus my "heavy lifting" treatments on the front wall behind the screen by setting up my sub system to energize room modes minimally and smooth out the first order width null. Cant fight physics. Might as well partner up. :)