Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fully active x- over
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:30 am 

Canadiansnowland wrote:
This topic has really caught my interest. In my mind active has always made sense. However a few things need clarification. Like anything quality makes a difference; there are decent active setups and not so decent. Lets talk dollars just on the crossover for now. What are we looking at in terms of price and features for an active crossover?

I bought a DBX 234SX crossover, which can do 4-way mono or 2 and 3-way stereo, for all of around $350 brand new. The construction is pretty straight forward with an input buffer, active 24db LR network and output buffer/balancer using NE5532 chips throughout, if I recall. Quality is decent and the pots are reasonably well calibrated between channels if they're not set too far to the extremes. I have a bit of a hiss issue as I have it connected to single ended amps but the noise is not terribly obtrusive. Sound quality is what it is....it's hard to judge without comparing directly to other units but I believe you get what you pay for. Still, it's not bad to play around with and the cost of entry is easily affordable.

I don't see the point of adding an equalizer as bass/mid/treble adjustments can be done by setting the output levels and crossover points of the appropriate bands. For example, if you want more low bass you lower the bass/mid crossover point; if you want more high bass you raise it. One thing to remember is that these adjustments have to be done at the volumes you normally listen to using your reference source.

As has been mentioned, going active means losing some of the filtering that may be done passively, such as peak notch filtering, baffle step shelf or zobel, etc. This is the price you pay to afford the amps the iron grip on the speaker that you wouldn't get with all these filters in the way. The workaround is to start with quality drivers and optimize the response by adjusting the bands frequency and output to 'average' the response so the deficiencies are not as noticeable. This is where tweaking becomes fine art and may take months to get it right....it did for me and I'm still tweaking it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:44 pm 

So like someone else mentioned, all these x-overs seem to use XLR or balanced i/o. How do you connect a rca cable from your source to these? And how do you connect the x-over to a rca i/o amp. Do you simply use a XLR to RCA adapter?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:35 pm 

Beano wrote:
So like someone else mentioned, all these x-overs seem to use XLR or balanced i/o. How do you connect a rca cable from your source to these? And how do you connect the x-over to a rca i/o amp. Do you simply use a XLR to RCA adapter?

XLR pins 1 and 3 are tied together to shield, XLR pin 2 to RCA center conductor.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:07 pm 

The digital harshness of the dbx driverack 260 is gone with cardas power cord !

I tried Behringer and driverack PA too.

behringer is very bad sounding compare to the dr260...

the dr PA is fon but the 260 is better in sound quality

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:26 pm 

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minids ... sp-4x10-hd

This is an amazing one that is worth taking a look at.

It has analog and digital inputs, balanced and unbalanced outputs, with every tweaking option you can think of!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:48 pm 

I would start with good drivers like JBL and look at their specs...that will help you to determine the crossover points....it is all available online. You need some kind of enclosure for the bass driver(s)..again very easy to get from PRO field and yo can just place the mid-horn and the tweeters on top of that....all wired directly from the amplifiers and you are listening to music....look at the Japan websites...these people do this for many years now...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:31 am 

libor wrote:
I would start with good drivers like JBL and look at their specs...that will help you to determine the crossover points....it is all available online. You need some kind of enclosure for the bass driver(s)..again very easy to get from PRO field and yo can just place the mid-horn and the tweeters on top of that....all wired directly from the amplifiers and you are listening to music....look at the Japan websites...these people do this for many years now...

Again, that sounds like a reasonable approach to something like this. I may just keep my eyes open for a few drivers if they come up locally.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:10 am 

Philosophil wrote:
libor wrote:

Again, that sounds like a reasonable approach to something like this. I may just keep my eyes open for a few drivers if they come up locally.

Phil, you have a PM.
B

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:37 am 

Philosophil wrote:
libor wrote:

The really exciting work is ongoing in the consumer product sector where DSP filtering and "correction" is being used to force small drivers in small enclosures
to produce sound that most traditional passive speaker designers would say is not possible!

The expertise needed is in DSP engineering and also psycho-acoustics (human perception).

I'm hopeful that this will "trickle up" to at least mid price CAM systems in the near future.

For me, the ideal would be a mid-size floor standing speaker enclosure with isolated or wireless digital source connections, internal active amplification matched to each driver
plus overall DSP control to let me tailor and modify the "sound quality" in any way that I want, in just a few moments. 8)

This would be so much more convenient than swapping amps, power cords, interconnects and speaker wire :D

It does appear to me that many CAMers would disagree :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:59 am 

jst_canuck wrote:
Philosophil wrote:
libor wrote:

The really exciting work is ongoing in the consumer product sector where DSP filtering and "correction" is being used to force small drivers in small enclosures
to produce sound that most traditional passive speaker designers would say is not possible!

The expertise needed is in DSP engineering and also psycho-acoustics (human perception).

I'm hopeful that this will "trickle up" to at least mid price CAM systems in the near future.

For me, the ideal would be a mid-size floor standing speaker enclosure with isolated or wireless digital source connections, internal active amplification matched to each driver
plus overall DSP control to let me tailor and modify the "sound quality" in any way that I want, in just a few moments. 8)

This would be so much more convenient than swapping amps, power cords, interconnects and speaker wire :D

Linn Exakt technology ?

http://www.linn.co.uk/music-systems/tec ... -vs-exakt/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:28 am 

jst_canuck wrote:

I don't necessarily disagree, but it's always the implementation of the DSP (and likely more specifically the AD/DA conversion) that is the biggest issue right now. Maybe there was some sort of gain issue or some other factor in my use of the MiniDSP (4x10) unit, but it just added a veil to the music that I couldn't stand, and my guess is that there was something going on in the AD/DA chain...
That being said, you should check out the Avant Garde Zero 1 speakers - they basically do what you are talking about, minus the personalized control over the DSP...and they sounded, to my ears anyway, pretty damn decent at the Montreal show...expensive, of course, but nice :)
Byron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:41 am 

airdronian wrote:
jst_canuck wrote:
Philosophil wrote:

Linn Exakt technology ?

http://www.linn.co.uk/music-systems/tec ... -vs-exakt/

Yes.... and No :lol:

Same technology but with the cost reduction mindset that the high volume consumer market demands to "trickle up" for more performance.

I see a future with much more reasonably priced systems but not sure who will provide these products?

Is a joint venture (JBL + Google, PSB + Apple ) any less likely than a big player in consumer products like SONY?

So much potential for great sound, convenience and flexibility:idea:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:46 pm 

mantisory wrote:
jst_canuck wrote:

I don't necessarily disagree, but it's always the implementation of the DSP (and likely more specifically the AD/DA conversion) that is the biggest issue right now. Maybe there was some sort of gain issue or some other factor in my use of the MiniDSP (4x10) unit, but it just added a veil to the music that I couldn't stand, and my guess is that there was something going on in the AD/DA chain...
That being said, you should check out the Avant Garde Zero 1 speakers - they basically do what you are talking about, minus the personalized control over the DSP...and they sounded, to my ears anyway, pretty damn decent at the Montreal show...expensive, of course, but nice :)
Byron

Certainly easier for all concerned if the signal path is ALL digital to avoid such A/D conversion problems :idea:

Even the power amp section(s) that push and pull each speaker driver may operate without dedicated D/A by operating in Class D.

The near future is expected to see DSP components continue to drop in cost and yet offer more performance.
There could also be several DSPs operating in a system that are transparent to the user too.

Top it all off with a cool graphical interface with lot's of canned "default" settings to let us all learn how to modify such systems to obtain the particular sound we want (at that moment) 8)

Could be a tough one for the boutique and the old school companies to take part :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:33 pm 

jst_canuck wrote:

The near future is expected to see DSP components continue to drop in cost and yet offer more performance.
There could also be several DSPs operating in a system that are transparent to the user too.

Top it all off with a cool graphical interface with lot's of canned "default" settings to let us all learn how to modify such systems to obtain the particular sound we want (at that moment) 8)

Could be a tough one for the boutique and the old school companies to take part :(

Now imagine where we would be if active had remained the standard from the golden era on. Our hobby in the areas of room integrated systems would be the norm and true hi-end companies would have led the charge.

Marc mc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:58 pm 

Maybe it's time for the active/dsp system fans to admit..... Linn ROCKS ! :lol:

Space Optimisation+

Linn's Exakt systems deliver an enhanced version of this technology: Space Optimisation+
Exakt incorporates the measured response of every individual drive unit. It enables even more advanced speaker modelling that’s specific, not just to the model of speaker, but to the unique pair of speakers in your home.
This advanced approach to speaker modelling means Space Optimisation+ can apply a far greater level of precision when optimising the sound, personalised for your particular speakers.

Speakers measured for Space Optimisation

We’ve measured the characteristics of hundreds of speakers so you can get the most from Space Optimisation, whatever speakers you own.
However, even if your speakers aren’t listed below, you can still enjoy the benefits of Space Optimisation’s environment and speaker placement optimisation based on their location in your room.
The following speakers have been measured for Space Optimisation:
Acoustic Energy 301
Acoustic Energy Reference 1 MKIII
Ascendo C7
Ascendo C8-C
ATC SCM11
Atohm GT1-DV
Audio Physic Avantera Plus
Audio Physic Classic 10
Audio Physic Classic 20 s1
Audio Physic Classic 20 s2
Audio Physic Classic 30
Audiodata Petite
Audiovector SR1 Signature
Audiovector SR3 Avantgarde Arrete
Audiovector SR3 Signature
Audiovector SR3 Super
Audium Comp 3
Audium Comp 5
Aurum Megan VIII
Aurum Orkan VIII
Aurum Titan VIII
Aurum Vulkan VIII
Aurum Wotan VIII
Avantgarde Duo Mezzo
Avantgarde Uno Fino
Avantgarde Zero 1
B&W 683 S2
B&W 684 S2
B&W 685 S2
B&W 686 S2
B&W 800 Diamond
B&W 802 Diamond*
B&W 803 Diamond
B&W 804 Diamond
B&W 805 Diamond
B&W CM1 S2
B&W CM10 S1
B&W CM10 S2
B&W CM5 S2
B&W CM6 S2
B&W CM8 S2
B&W CM9 S1
B&W CM9 S2
B&W Nautilus*
B&W PM1
Boston M25
Boston M250
Boston RS 326
Box Speaker Box 10
Box SpeakerBox 5
Canton Chrono SL 590.2 DC
Canton Vento 890.2 DC
Cornered Audio C4 (Landscape)
Cornered Audio C4 (Portrait)
Cornered Audio C5 (Landscape)
Cornered Audio C5 (Portrait)
Dali Epicon 2
Dali Epicon 8
Dali Helicon 800 MK2
Dali Ikon 1 MK2
Dali Ikon 2 MK2
Dali Lektor 8
Dali Rubicon 5
Dali Rubicon 6
Dali Zensor 1
Dali Zensor 3
Dali Zensor 5
Dali Zensor 7
Duevel Planets
Dynaudio Contour S 1.4
Dynaudio Excite X14
Dynaudio Excite X34
Dynaudio Excite X38
Dynaudio Focus 110
Dynaudio Focus 160
Dynaudio Focus 260
Elac BS 244
Elac FS 249.2
Elac FS 507 VX-JET
Elac FS 509 VX-JET
Epos Elan 30
Epos Encore 50
Epos K1
Epos K2
Epos K3
Fischer & Fischer SNSL 170
Fischer & Fischer SNSL 450
Fischer & Fischer SNSL 570
Focal Aria 906
Focal Aria 926
Focal Aria 936
Focal Aria 948
Focal Chorus 706
Focal Chorus 726
Focal Chorus 836 V
Focal Electra 1028 BE
Focal Electra 1038 BE
Guru Junior
Guru QM 10
Guru QM60
Harbeth Monitor 30.1
Harbeth Monitor 40.1
Harbeth P3ESR
Harbeth Super HL5
Harbeth Super HL5 plus
Hifi Team Kolibri 25th Anniversary
KEF Blade
KEF Blade Two
KEF LS50
KEF Q300
KEF Q500
KEF Q700
KEF R500
KEF R700
KEF R900
KEF Reference 1
KEF Reference 3
KEF Reference 5
Klangwerk Phil
Klipsch Heresy III
Klipsch Ikon WF 35
Klipsch Klipschorn
Klipsch RB61 II
Kudos C1
Kudos C10
Kudos C2
Kudos C20
Kudos C30
Kudos Super 10*
Kudos Super 20*
Kudos Titan 808*
Kudos Titan 88
Kudos X2
Kudos X3
Linn Akubarik
Linn Akubarik Passive*
Linn Akudorik Passive*
Linn Akurate 212*
Linn Akurate 242*
Linn Artikulat 320 Passive*
Linn Artikulat 320A
Linn Artikulat 350 Passive*
Linn Artikulat 350A
Linn AV5110
Linn AV5140*
Linn Espek*
Linn Exakt Akubarik*
Linn Exakt Akudorik*
Linn Kaber*
Linn Katan
Linn Keilidh*
Linn Keltik*
Linn Kiko
Linn Klimax 320 Passive
Linn Klimax 320A
Linn Klimax 350 Passive*
Linn Klimax 350A
Linn Klimax Exakt 350*
Linn Komponent 104
Linn Komponent 106
Linn Komponent 110
Linn Komri*
Linn Majik 109*
Linn Majik 112
Linn Majik 140*
Linn Majik Isobarik*
Linn Nexus
Linn Ninka*
Linn Sara
Linn Sekrit IW10
Linn Tukan
Linn Unik
LUA Con Affetto
Magico Q5
Magico Q7
Magico S1
Magico S5
Manger MSSp1
Martin Logan Clarity
Martin Logan Motion 15
Martin Logan motion 20
Martin Logan Motion 35XT
Martin Logan Motion 40
Martin Logan Motion 60XT
MBL 116F Elegance Radialstrahler
Monitor Audio Bronze BX1
Monitor Audio Bronze BX2
Monitor Audio Bronze BX5
Monitor Audio Gold 100
Monitor Audio Gold 200
Monitor Audio Gold 300
Monitor Audio Gold 50
Monitor Audio Platinum PL100
Monitor Audio Platinum PL200
Monitor Audio Platinum PL300
Monitor Audio Radius 270
Monitor Audio Silver 1
Monitor Audio Silver 10
Monitor Audio Silver 2
Monitor Audio Silver 6
Monitor Audio Silver 8
Naim Ovator S-400
Naim Ovator S-600
Neat Iota
Neat Momentum 3i
Neat Momentum 4i
Neat Momentum SX5i
Neat Motive SE2
Neat Motive SX1
Neat Motive SX2
Neat Motive SX3
Neat Ultimatum XLS
Odeon Tosca S
Paradigm MiniMonitor S7
Piega Classic 60.2
Piega Coax 30.2
Piega Coax 90.2
Piega MasterONE
Piega Premium 3.2
Piega Premium 5.2
Piega TMicro 4
Piega TMicro 6
PMC FACT-8
PMC Twenty-21
PMC Twenty-22
PMC Twenty-23
PMC Twenty-24
PMC Twenty-26
ProAc D18
ProAc D20R
ProAc D30R
ProAc Response D1
ProAc Response D2
ProAc Response D48
ProAc Studio 118
ProAc Tablette Anniversary
Q Acoustics 2010i
Q Acoustics 2020i
Q Acoustics 2050i
Q Acoustics 3010
Q Acoustics 3020
Q Acoustics 3050
Q Acoustics Concept 20
Q Acoustics Concept 40
Quadral Platinum M20
Quadral Platinum M40
Rega RS3
Revel F206
Revel M105
Revel Performa3 F208
Rogers LS 35A
RussellK RED100
Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario Palladio
Sonus Faber Amati Futura
Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage
Sonus Faber Lilium
Sonus Faber Minima Vintage
Sonus Faber Olympica I
Sonus Faber Olympica II
Sonus Faber Olympica III
Sonus Faber Toy Tower
Sonus Faber Venere 2.0
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
Sonus Faber Venere 3.0
Spendor A3
Spendor A5r
Spendor A6r
Spendor D1
Spendor D7
Spendor S3/5R
System Fidelity SF31
System Fidelity SF5010
T+A Criterion TCD 210 S
T+A Criterion TCD 310S
T+A Criterion TCD 410R
T+A KS 350
T+A Lignum LGR 10
Tannoy Mercury V4
Tannoy Precision 6.4
Tannoy Revolution DC4T
Tannoy Revolution DC6T
Tannoy Revolution XT6F
Tannoy Sensys R
Totem Arro
Totem Forest Signature
Totem Hawk
Totem KIN Mini
Totem Mite
Triangle Altea Arpege
Triangle Antal 202
Triangle Color Bibliotheque
Triangle Color Colonne
Triangle Esprit Antal EZ
Triangle Esprit Gaia EZ
Triangle Esprit Titus EZ
Triangle Genese Quartet
Triangle Plaisir TEB17 Zeta
Triangle Signature Delta
Triangle Titus ES
Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand
Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand Symphony Edition
Vienna Acoustics Liszt
Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand Symphony Edition
Vivid V 1.5
Vivid B1
Wilson Audio Alexia
Wilson Audio Sasha WP2
Wilson Audio Sophia 3
Wilson-Benesch A.C.T. C60
Wilson-Benesch Arc
Wilson-Benesch Discovery
Wilson-Benesch Endeavour
Wilson-Benesch Square Five
Wilson-Benesch Square Three
Wilson-Benesch Trinity
Wilson-Benesch Vector
Wilson-Benesch Vertex
WLM Diva
Yamaha NS-BP200
Zingali Client Name Evo 1.2

Don't see your speakers here?
Tell us what speakers you'd like us to add and watch this space.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next