Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:58 pm 

Just wondering if anyone can share their experience with any of the newer room correction devices out there these days. Specifically for 2 channel, not HT Audessy type programs but more along the lines of TactT, Lyngdorf and the AntiMode 2.0. I understand these target the bass region up to around 150 hz. The reviews generally tout these things as a godsend yet they don't seem to be widely accepted. Any current or past users out there?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:02 pm 

Not worth it. at least IMO

I have a mid - low end range 5.2 system. 5 PSB T6s all bi amplified with the L and R as Class A for hi / mids. Even Dirac isn't great. Having said that, identical speakers, lots of amplification and a large, treated room. Never tried it in anything that compromises elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:12 pm 
Premium User

I own the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170. It's an amazing product when you take the time setting up Room Perfect. Every time I post it for sale I decide to keep it and pull the ad just in case I run in to a situation with a bad room, or placement issues. I tried it in a treated room and it wasn't really necessary. The amp is the cleanest I've heard and this isn't my first class D experience so there is value in the product outside of Room Perfect. I saw a McIntosh product also running Room Perfect at CES but I don't know anything about it. Many people don't realize how much they might benefit from software like this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:16 pm 

some room correction with an eq (31 bands / channel) or parametric

could be benefit with an RTA (real time anaylyser)

I have the option AUTO EQ on the DBX driverack 260.... :( very bad result

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:26 pm 

I use the Antimode 2.0 and I like it. I've been using it for a couple of years now. I've tried it with a lot of speakers and it always helps. I've only used it in the one room though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:51 pm 

I use Dirac Live in a 2 channel system. Best 500 $ I ever spent in audio.

I must say my room is terrible for lower frequencies

Last edited by PappyBlue on Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:52 pm 

I've used REW and a calibrated mic with both JRiver and miniDSP and can't say enough good things about correction. I have been converted.

I really would like to hear a better implementation like DEQx/Dirac/Acouralte/etc...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:45 pm 

McIntosh makes one based on Lyngdorf system(MEN220),supposed to work well.Tone audio has a write up on them,supposed to work very well for hard to set up rooms.
Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:09 pm 

My experience is limited but a few years ago I bought a pair of Paradigm DSP 3100 subs and the dealer came over with a stand-mount microphone and a laptop. He set the subs up where I wanted them (size and layout made placement options pretty limited) and took room measurements. He showed me the plot line achieved by moving the mic around and told me he could adjust the subs so the curve of the output could be substantially improved. I was highly sceptical, considering most room corrections as mere dithering that had potential to add more distortion than they could ever remove.
Boy, was I surprised when he fed the instructions back to the subs and suddenly the bass became much, much clearer; boominess was gone and the snap of Fender bass and the whack of bass drum popped into focus. At that moment, I became a convert, but your experience may be different. All I know is that if I wanted to replace my current (uncorrected) system, the Steinway Lyngdorf would be on my list.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:29 pm 

I had also mixed experiences with the room correction devices...I had the old Tact and also Accuphase DG 38 in my set up and the experience was very good except when I returned to my all analog set up (including analog active crossover I use) I had the "feeling" back....it must be me....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:19 am 

You cannot electronically correct for lack of lf energy or significant lf distortion from your speakers. Or to put it another way, you need to have ability to move some air at low frequencies without increasing thd or phase issues. Most "full range" speakers dont publish the distortion vs frequency stats because they dont look good in the lower ranges. So the eq can be doing its job but creating other issues.

Multiple subwoofers in mono + eq will reliably get a good bandwidth in a given space and allow many a speaker system to perform well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:06 am 

I use Amarra Symphony with the integrated Dirac Live solution. The clarity and detail are truly amazing, well worth the steep price of admission.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:28 pm 

I use the lowly behringer deq2496 and I can tell you that I wouldn't be without it. I always feel like an audiophile philistine for having it there....until I remove it, that is. It has made such a difference to clarity, soundstaging and bass tightness in my system that I just can't do without it. My room is 13x22 and completely untreated, mind you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:43 pm 

I am using foobar2000 with the free Mathaudio add-on for room correction. A $100 calibrated mic was used for frequency response measurements at the listening positions. This is the best $100 I have spent to improve the sound in my room. There is no more bass boominess and the mids and highs are much better defined. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:39 pm 

I have been using room correction for the past 10 years and would not do without it . To me it is the single biggest impact there is on the sound . Many professionals e estimate the room to be responsible for up to a third of the "sound" of any given system. It is after all physics. My preference for room correction over passive methods is 1. precision 2. known quantities of measurement and 3. replication.
There are many approaches and views on how to do this - full range or limited to the bass decade. Personally I use full range via a TacT processor - initially the RCC2. and now a RCS2.2X . The addition of dual subs as well makes a major leap forward.
Room correction is not equalization - and with current sampling rates etc. is, in my experience, very transparent.
It can be overdone and there is a learning curve . Trying to overly aggressively address nodes or going above 0 db are common issues that you learn via trial and error.
Two related items that make a big difference in the sound via room correction are precise level matching at the listening spot (0.1b in the case of TacT) and time alignment esp. with subs in the equation but also with two channels.

There are lots of options - some more automated than others - but in general I like the Lyngdorf/ TacT approach as it offers a granular degree of control if desired but also is pretty easy to start . Unfortunately TacT were terrible business types and the software is Windows only- (it can be used in systems with Win7,8 or 10 and there are some good online resources as well). However their stuff is now available at bargain prices and can be supplemented with external ADC and DAC units if desired- you just need to know what you are buying esp in terms of the microphone and what modules are installed . Software is available online as are the manuals
I know people who use DRC and are very happy with that approach as well and if I didn't have my current setup I would go this route . I have also heard the Velodyne dsp subs and was quite impressed. The Behringer approach can be pretty good as well but very hands on in terms of measurement and software.

Bottom line I think room correction has way more to offer most users that changing cables, amps, preamps, dacs and , in many cases, speakers esp. where there are room or domestic constraints regarding placement . but it is just not as "real" to many people and perhaps too "technical"?.
There is a lot of mis-information about it as well as well as hugely outdated notions of how it works esp. with reference to equalization and old analog approaches.
I would recommend reading Robert Greene's original essays on the topic on his website or the Absolute Sound and the info. from dirac etc.