Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:13 am 

Howdy All!

I've recently moved into a house that has a nanny suite in a separate part of the basement.

The main basement (on the other side of the suite) contains both my main listening room and rehearsal space (I'm a trumpet player), so I want to put up some sound proofing to cut down on the sound bleeding over into the suite. My speakers (Martin Logan Spire) are situated at the end of room whose wall abuts the suite, so it doesn't take much volume before it can be heard quite clearly in the suite.

I've been looking at various options and I came across 'QuietRock' drywall. Has anyone had any success using this?

Are there any other options I should consider? The basement is finished, floor is carpeted, has a 7' ceiling (w/absorbent ceiling tiles). The walls are just painted over drywall.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:37 am 

Rent to some one who doesn't care about noise.

You can add some sound absorbing material but just slapping up some gyprock will barely make a dent in the noise.

Since the space is finished, you could consider building an extra wall away from the existing one between the two spaces. Allow an air gap and then insulate the new wall with safe and sound. If you want the wall to be permanent, consider a sound reducing membrane as well.

Sound also travels through the floor and ceiling so there will always be some transfer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:54 am 

I guess I should qualify what I'm trying to do.

I'm not really looking to 'soundproof' the basement, but more along the lines of sound dampening. Some sound bleed-over is acceptable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:09 am 

there are several threads that discuss this; may benefit the op to review those.
I moved my system to a basement room that I had set up for the kids a few years ago. I had already insulated in the joists and used a heavy acoustic tile on the ceiling. The opening however is 4 ft wide and sits at the bottom of the stairs, so the music would travel to the main level quite easily, even at low volumes. Last week I spent $30 on a shower curtain rod and a heavy curtain from Jysk for the opening and it makes a significant barrier for sounds traveling to and from the room.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:17 am 

NordicNorm wrote:
I guess I should qualify what I'm trying to do.

I'm not really looking to 'soundproof' the basement, but more along the lines of sound dampening. Some sound bleed-over is acceptable.

I've used the quiet rock. It has limited effectiveness depending on how it's installed. The best method as mentioned above, and is a standard method for sound dampening in wood frame hotels, is to have the 2 wall method. Barring that, you'll want to 'hang' the drywall on metal isolation clips designed for the purpose.

Albert Einstein