Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:15 am 

Hal Brian wrote:
I have heard that you need bulk to control bass problems. Is that true? I am in the same boat as the 0P Would like to find anestheticly pleasing bass trap

This. Bass traps need to be at least foot deep or more to tame low frequencies (below 80Hz). You can wrap in designer fabric, whatever you like, as bass waves travel through all that material and drywall easily. The traps are still big and bulky.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:28 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Have your kids stand at the first reflection points in the room.

Tell them you'll take them out for ice cream if they don't move.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:52 am 

zhenya01 wrote:
Hal Brian wrote:
I have heard that you need bulk to control bass problems. Is that true? I am in the same boat as the 0P Would like to find anestheticly pleasing bass trap

This. Bass traps need to be at least foot deep or more to tame low frequencies (below 80Hz). You can wrap in designer fabric, whatever you like, as bass waves travel through all that material and drywall easily. The traps are still big and bulky.

Low bass frequencies have a lot of energy, therefore, you will need very thick insulation material with the right properties to effectively trap the bass. When the low frequency energy reaches the insulation material, friction causes the kinetic energy to be changed to thermal energy, which results in a loss of amplitude.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:55 am 

Before you do anything you need to establish that you have enough energy or air handling from your speakers in the room to actually get accurate bass below 100 hz into the bottom octave. Most systems do not. Measure first to understand where to go.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:01 am 

Things I have read in my recent journey of treating my room are:

Using carpets and curtains as room treatment is usually ineffective.What they do is slow down the speed of reflective sound waves yet offer NO broadband absorption.Possible only treating flutter echo...

All panels using rigid fibreglass absorb more of a frequency range the farther they are placed from the wall.Also the thicker the fibreglass panels the greater frequency range that is treated.You can make an effective corner bass trap by straddling the corner with a 2 ft. wide panel at a 45 degree angle.The panel should be at least 4 inches of fibreglass but for this situation 6 inches is recommended.The air space behind the panel increases its effective absorption range.You could use this technique instead of a studio chunk corner bass trap build.I will probably use this method to trap my back wall corners.

Doing sound treatments correctly has given me the biggest improvement in audio...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:35 am 

Itsnotluck wrote:
Doing sound treatments correctly has given me the biggest improvement in audio...

+1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:16 pm 

Since we use our family room as our listening space, I was able to convince my wife of the importance of acoustic treatments in the room. I was able to find a colour of fabric offered at Wave Acoustics (in Barrie, ON), that blended nicely with the colour of the walls so they don't attract as much attention.

The panels are not all ideally located due to the restrictions of room shape, windows, fireplace and opening to kitchen, but I was able to get six 2'x4'- 4" thick acoustic panels hung and one of his BassBoss corner bass traps, with plans to order another BassBoss to stack on top of the existing one.

The improvement was immediately noticeable. A more controlled bass response as well as in all frequencies, which allowed for more clarity.

Still have some tweaking to do, while striking the balance between reality of living conditions and best sound.

http://www.waveacoustic.com/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:34 pm 

bbsupersport wrote:
The panels are not all ideally located due to the restrictions of room shape, windows, fireplace and opening to kitchen, but I was able to get six 2'x4'- 4" thick acoustic panels hung and one of his BassBoss corner bass traps, with plans to order another BassBoss to stack on top of the existing one.

You could also install two 2'x4' panels on your ceiling as well to cover the first and secondary reflection points.I'm still in the process of adding a cloud.

There is also a formula to use for placing your panels for first and secondary reflection points on the REAL Traps web site,Instead of the mirror method..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:07 pm 
Premium User

Multiple small subs is the best way to get good bass below your schroeder's frequency. And you don't have to use bass traps. We learned a lot in the last 20 years but audiophiles haven't seemed to catch on en masse.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:27 pm 

JoshK wrote:
Multiple small subs is the best way to get good bass below your schroeder's frequency. And you don't have to use bass traps. We learned a lot in the last 20 years but audiophiles haven't seemed to catch on en masse.

Multiple subs will create a more uniformed low frequency pressurization, thus helping eliminating both peaks and nulls, but multiple subs with proper bass trapping will (IME) gives the best results. That is assuming that one can properly integrate subs into their system. The one thing that I like about acoustic treatments, is their effects can be easily heard and measured.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:50 pm 

brf wrote:
JoshK wrote:

Multiple subs will create a more uniformed low frequency pressurization, thus helping eliminating both peaks and nulls, but multiple subs with proper bass trapping will (IME) gives the best results. That is assuming that one can properly integrate subs into their system. The one thing that I like about acoustic treatments, is their effects can be easily heard and measured.

+1's. It really is a fascinating aspect of the hobby. You can also reduce the need for traps by:

-Mounting drywall on channel, reducing low frequency reinforcement.
-Use multiple subs in an orientaion known to reduce standing wave behaviour. Drive the null locations.
-Place loudspeakers and listeners in neutral positions in the room wrt to 1st,2nd,3rd order Axial modes.
-Carefully phase aligning your subwoofer to your main loudspeakers at the crossover point using a sine wave test tone and an spl meter or fft plot (better.)
-Use a measurement program to find your high Q bass issues and a sophisticated DSP to solve them.

Doing these things means no bass traps strictly required. (But you are probably getting other net benefits to make them very worthwhile anyway.)

-Tangential room mode reduction
-Lower room decay times
-reduced SBIR
-an easy and very low cost sound upgrade.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:31 pm 

Itsnotluck wrote:
Using carpets and curtains as room treatment is usually ineffective.What they do is slow down the speed of reflective sound waves...

Slow down the speed of sound, you say?

:?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:33 pm 

I've looked at a lot of panel builds on the web and I must say that this is a nice artful approach.The builder used an exposed frame technique and an interesting fabric pattern.If I had seen this sooner I might have attempted a different build.Nothing more than wrapped Owens Corning 703.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6252489

-- Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:36 pm --

Neal C wrote:
Itsnotluck wrote:
Using carpets and curtains as room treatment is usually ineffective.What they do is slow down the speed of reflective sound waves...

Slow down the speed of sound, you say?

:?

Probably not the best wording but may be I can dig through my bookmarks and find the original.That would be the reflected sound...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:07 am 

When soundwaves travel through a different medium the term is refraction. Carpet reduces the energy and decay of room reflections. They all meet the floor sooner than you think. In my room I measured rt60 immediately before and after carpet install. In a bare room the global decay time dropped to 0.6 seconds from close to 2 seconds with the addition of carpet with underlay. A huge reduction over all frequencies.