Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:00 pm 

What's the most aesthetic way to acoustically treat a room without using ugly auralex stuff?

My pro audio buddies always laugh at the idea of audiophiles spending thousands on gear and then not doing any room treatment. They have a real point, but I need my living room to be aesthetically pleasing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:50 pm 

Designer window coverings, cushioned high-backed lounge chairs at first sound reflection points, throws (blanket) on glass tables, Persian rugs on floor and back wall (which will most certainly cost more than your average acoustic panels)...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:09 am 

....a gag on the ol' lady?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:54 am 

You can get the absorption panels covered with a print.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:40 am 

There are numerous companies these days that try to take aesthetics into account. Of course taste varies, so not all will agree on which makes attractive stuff. So you might hunt around the web to find a product that appeals to your sense of style. A lot of people find Vicoustics' stuff appealing: http://www.vicoustic.com/hifi-home-cinema

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:04 am 

I have heard that you need bulk to control bass problems. Is that true? I am in the same boat as the 0P Would like to find anestheticly pleasing bass trap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:44 am 

rustee wrote:

That's comedy gold.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:06 am 

If you use rugs, wall covering and window treatment use nature fibers, as acrylics, polyesters and such reflect, not absord. Which may work for walls, if diffusion is your aim. But for absorption use wool, cotton, fur, etc. It's not nearly as cheap, but works.

-- 09 Jan 2016 17:09 --

Curtains also do nothing for bass. But it's much easier to hide a makeshift bass trap if you load a corner will wool and have your curtains extend all the way to the corners.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:26 am 

drywhitetoast wrote:
rustee wrote:

That's comedy gold.

but also the truth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:47 am 

Interesting to see this post this morning, I just went to Ikea (normally not a fan) last night and picked up a 5-7 area rug for my basement listening room. It's a thick pile polyester rug ($200.) and wow what a huge improvement. Currently, I have a pair of McIntosh ML10's in my system and I thought they were just too boomy, but I really surprised by the improvement. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:58 am 

Thick wool rug hangs directly behind listening chair (garage sale special, like new)...Really Works. anything in corners, even a fake plant/tree helps.
Corner cabinet/shelving holds lp's, books and weird knick knacks, (paddington bear, gumby, antique wood bowling ball, etc.)
Seat cushions rescued before the friends unwanted sofa went to the dump, here n there.
Natural fibre cloth, several layers, draped over my 44'' high sda's (seems to help)
Sheers over windows, anything over windows.
Natural fibre listening chair...(tilley hat optional)
Cat (also optional) and does come around when music playing.

past house had thick thick high end mid seventies carpet, Focal 926's, initially set up with-out the supplied spikes as i figured there was enough isolation to the floor...later installed the spikes and yes the bottom end improved significantly. it was a odd shaped large living room with vaulted ceiling, openings and 12ft of front window...took a while to tune it in. several inches one way or another with the speakers did make differences. the wall hanging rug behind "the chair" looked great and Really Worked well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:40 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

EL34 wrote:
There are numerous companies these days that try to take aesthetics into account. Of course taste varies, so not all will agree on which makes attractive stuff. So you might hunt around the web to find a product that appeals to your sense of style. A lot of people find Vicoustics' stuff appealing: http://www.vicoustic.com/hifi-home-cinema

HUGE Plus 1 on this recommendation. We have it on the walls in the store and, (I guess not unsurprisingly), more than a few clients of the SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) Ministers Of The Interior have verbally appreciated the aesthetic.
That, of course, left a couple of guys/spouses a trifle gob-smacked.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:56 am 

Provided you already own a number of books, purr-chasing a bookcase from Ikea (or... another retailer) and then loading the bookcase can provide sound defraction. Just be sure to stagger the books in a wider-shorter-wider style to defract the soundwaves and... Voila!... Robert's yer Father's brother.

Cheers... RVSB.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:13 am 

You have to have bass traps,diffusers,and absorbers in order to tame acoustic problems all rooms have.If your front room is not your back yard,you have to have acoustic treatment,or build a dedicated listening room.Tell your wife the recording studio look is now the must have for the design savy housewife of the modern age,all the cool wife's are doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:38 am 

I think the first step is what you have already done, which is coming to the realization that the room is important and that doing the right things to it can make your sound system better.

I also think some sort sound measurement equipment is important, since many people add absorption and diffusion without actually measuring the impact each additional change in the room specifically has on the final sound. Most rely on a subjective belief that they have made the sound 'better' but often they have traded one sonic property for a different one and whether it is 'better' is debatable. Without the ability to quickly A/B the sound of a room, one is best to rely on measurements to actually verify what each change is doing instead of the known weaknesses of memory.

Having a suitable set of speakers for a room as well as placing them properly relative to your listening position gets you moving in the right direction before any room treatments. Willingness to add some sort of equalization or dsp could get you more accurate sound and measurement equipment can also help with this.

If you are trying to play very low notes, you need to research how bass frequencies work and what are considered the most ideal ways of taming them.

Also, keep in mind, while many claim they want accurate or neutral sound, many actually prefer coloured sound with pleasant distortions. Listening to music at different volume levels changes how we perceive bass/treble and the flexibility to tailor different frequency bands could be helpful. It doesn't make sense to claim you want a particular sound even if you actually prefer something else. There is no right or wrong when it comes to preference.