Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Soundproofing
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:15 am 

I also used Roxul in all interior walls (bathroom and the dividing wall between finished space and furnace room - I even drywalled the inside of the furnace room wall - I did not want to hear the furnace ever again after using the unfinished room for 8 years as my listening space).

Good question about sound transmission with door open vs closed. I had the chance this AM to test drive that.

Played Pink Floyd Division Bell - "What do you want from me" at peaks of ~85-87dB at the listening chair (ballpark 7 feet from my Magnepan 1.6's).

On the main floor in the room directly above the speakers, with the door open to the basement - readings of ~55-56dB.

On the main floor in the room directly above the speakers, with the Safe n Sound door closed - readings of ~45-46dB.

All the way upstairs (kids bedrooms) readings with the basement door closed are ~35dB.

House sounds approx ~30-32dB in the kids bedrooms with no music playing, so it has been a very effective $ spent in my books to install the rudimentary sound transmission prevention I did

My wife has never complained about the volume of the music since the basement was built, so long as the door is closed. For me that alone is worth 1K. And worth more than a 1K improvement spent on the system and still being told to turn it down, or stop playing that "weirdo" music altogether!

All readings using the free app Decibel 10th on my iPhone, so take the absolute readings with a grain of salt - but I would trust the ~40db reduction to the main floor, and the ~50db reduction to the 2nd floor bedrooms.

If I had gone green glue, double drywall, resilient channel, surface lighting vs pot lights - ie the whole 9 yards, I am sure it would be even quieter. But also way more $.

Think about what you really want in terms of isolating your room from outside noise, and isolating the rest of your house from your music.

It is totally different from treating the inside of your room though. All the time and effort for sound isolation did nothing for the sound IN the room.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:55 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

drywhitetoast wrote:
okRichard wrote:
resilient metal channel between the joists (or studs) and the drywall does as much or more as any other product or material. it slows the transmission of sound thru solid wood by decoupling the framing from the finish material. inexpensive to purchase and not much work to install. run perpendicular to ceiling joists and horizontally on wall studs.

Resilient channels are interesting. I was all for it when my basement was being finished but everything I read stated they had to be installed bang on or they would fail. I didn't have faith in perfection lol.
The layers are what I have always believed to be the trick. The Toronto Star did a huge report a few years ago on the new "Filmport" studios in our portlands area (now Pinewood Studios) and they displayed a cross-section of their main sound-stage outer walls and it was around 3 feet deep with just layer after layer.
That would keep my kids from yelling "turn it down"...whilst cranking old Sabbath or new Motorhead.
8)

Resilient channels do help prevent sound from traveling through to the next room or upstairs, but it makes your entire wall a giant passive radiator since it effectively makes the wall flexible. This actually degrades the sound in the room where you're trying to improve the sound in. Metal studs in basements do the same thing, not good for sound quality in that room.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:24 am 

Thanks for all the responses. I have some follow up questions but haven't had the time to write them out yet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:58 am 

I have a 2 storey century home built in 1890, I am a building contractor and totally renovated my house, in all my years of being in this trade I have never seen a house like mine, the whole house is solid brick construction , that means every sixth row you see the butt ends of the bricks bridging the 2 rows of bricks, then there is 2 inches of solid cork yes cork.... sandwiched between another row of bricks . my sound room was an addition probably built in the sixty's , so all my interior walls adjoining my sound room all have this cork inside the walls I could be playing music at 86 db 200 watts a side and my wife be in the adjoining room watching tv and you can barely hear any sound coming out of my room

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:29 am 

There is a difference between sound proofing and limiting sound transmission. I built the room in the basement of my first house trying to limit the sound being transmitted to the rest of the house. It was a good idea.

In finishing the ceiling, the space between joists was filled with fiberglass insulation, resilient channels were put in, with two layers of gypsum board running in different directions to stagger the joints and both layers were taped and fillled.

The dividing wall I put up was built the same way but with a single layer of wall board.

I went cheap on the door using a hollow core one, but a heavier door with a proper gasket of some type would have been much better.

Really trying to retrofit actual soundproofing would be cost prohibitive.

The acoustics of the room are improved with the type of construction I used, but many other factors influence room acoustics and require attention.

"Le mieux est souvent l'ennemi du bien".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:27 am 

stugazz wrote:
I have a 2 storey century home built in 1890, I am a building contractor and totally renovated my house, in all my years of being in this trade I have never seen a house like mine, the whole house is solid brick construction , that means every sixth row you see the butt ends of the bricks bridging the 2 rows of bricks, then there is 2 inches of solid cork yes cork.... sandwiched between another row of bricks . my sound room was an addition probably built in the sixty's , so all my interior walls adjoining my sound room all have this cork inside the walls I could be playing music at 86 db 200 watts a side and my wife be in the adjoining room watching tv and you can barely hear any sound coming out of my room

I **** hate you :evil: