Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Soundproofing
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:43 pm 

For those that have invested in soundproofing their listening rooms or home theaters I'm wondering what people's reasons were for doing so? I was thinking of doing it for a while when finishing the basement but in the end I'm not sure the benefits would justify the time and extra expense. I think I'd rather treat the room and just make sure everything is well constructed so things don't vibrate etc. If I'm not concerned with sound travelling through the house are there any other benefits to soundproofing the room?

One thing I think might still be a good idea is trying to limit noise through the HVAC system.

Thanks.

Last edited by Brooke on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Noiseproofing
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:59 pm 

Why soundproof?

Two words - the wife.

Its difficult emotionally to justify investment in soundproofing when it can be spent on gear tho.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:04 pm 

DuffyD wrote:
Why soundproof?

Two words - the wife.

Its difficult emotionally to justify investment in soundproofing when it can be spent on gear tho.

Headphones...

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:05 pm 

When we finished our basement a few years ago, I did want to address sound transmission - but only wanted to do the simple stuff.

To truly soundproof takes a lot of consideration, and often expense. The upside is 100% freedom to enjoy volume in that room.

I knew that we would put in 23 pot lights, so it did not make sense to go all the way with soundproofing efforts, knowing those pots would allow some sound out.

I simply did:

- Soundproof door at the top of the stairs - solid core Safe n Sound door from Home Depot
- Door sweep on door at the top of the stairs
- Weather stripping all around the door at the top of the stairs
- Roxul Safe n Sound in all ceiling joist bays
- 3/4 drywall on the ceiling of the basement (vs 1/2 for walls)
- Before the drywall went in I went around and tied down all the water pipes (hate to hear pipes banging after all that work! - or even vibrating from bass)
- For HVAC - I have the main trunk running the length of the finished space - I stuffed the entire bulkhead with pink insulation - was advised that Roxul would not be more effective for this, and pink is cheaper

My goal was to be able to enjoy my music at any reasonable volume when the family is in bed. I usually listen around 80-85db in the basement.

No complaints from upstairs when they are not yet sleeping at volumes up to about 93db. I almost never listen that loud though.

There is some sound leakage from basement to the main floor, but by the time you get all the way to the 2nd floor, it is only the sound that leaks through the HVAC ductwork that reaches the basement. It is not invasive at all. Trust me, my wife would be complaining if it was!

I had the basement done by pro's, but I personally installed all the sound remediation measures. I would have to check the XLS files, but I think I spent about 1K on the door and insulation. For my ~600 square foot basement, that felt just fine to me.

Roxul is very easy to install. It is just dirty, and messy, and itchy etc. Wear gloves, a mask and glasses.

WELL worth the added expense and the hours of my time. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Mark in Burlington

Post subject: Re: Soundproofing
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:16 pm 

Keeping sound out might even be more important ... I built our HT room in the basement without because of budget, but with the ability to address the issue in the future when funds may allow. It's the walking upstairs that bothers me. I don't really care if they can hear my music/movie (though I usually listen at moderate levels, nowhere near the 1000+ watts RMS potential in 7.1).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:43 pm 

Only thing I would add is using copious amounts of acoutical sealant to all studs before vapour barrier goes up. Messy as hell but the stuff does reduce vibration both by being a hermetic seal and an absorption layer between drywall and stud. My listening space backs onto the mechanical room where the furnace is, I do not hear anything with the Safe N Sound two layers of drywall and the sealed vapour barrier (used even though this is an interior wall).

-- 18 Nov 2015 00:44 --

Only thing I would add is using copious amounts of acoutical sealant to all studs before vapour barrier goes up. Messy as hell but the stuff does reduce vibration both by being a hermetic seal and an absorption layer between drywall and stud. My listening space backs onto the mechanical room where the furnace is, I do not hear anything with the Safe N Sound two layers of drywall and the sealed vapour barrier (used even though this is an interior wall).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 pm 

Before putting up the drywall in the basement
its a no brainer to install Roxal - the stuff is amazing.
Use a bread knife to cut it.

Also - know that its not to code to drywall over electrical junction boxes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:10 pm 

DuffyD wrote:
Why soundproof?

Two words - the wife.

Bose noise cancelling for the wife :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:21 pm 

when i did my room it is 15x35 the wall i put yellow insulation sonopan résiliant bar and gyprock that dampens and stop vibration echo etc ceiling is suspended whith 1 inch insuladed fire proof stuff plus the doors are wood for me its ok

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:52 pm 

DuffyD wrote:
Why soundproof?

Two words - the wife.

Exactly, so she can't hear discussions with your buddy about how much your audio gear really costs and how much your next flip is going to be.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:52 pm 

resilient metal channel between the joists (or studs) and the drywall does as much or more as any other product or material. it slows the transmission of sound thru solid wood by decoupling the framing from the finish material. inexpensive to purchase and not much work to install. run perpendicular to ceiling joists and horizontally on wall studs.

using materials of different densities is more effective than two layers of drywall unless you use (costly) green glue between the two layers of drywall, a backbreaking job for ceilings.
a good choice for the first layer is a product known by different names - Donnacona, Homasote, low density fiberboard etc. its lightweight, easy to handle.

if you have the room, staggered studs for walls are cheap and easy, even better are two separate wall stud assemblies with an inch of air space between them. pack both with Safe 'n' Sound, use acoustical sealant, resilient channel, Donnacona, drywall, pack the electrical outlets with Quiet Putty... and rock on !

and if you have the money, go for Quietrock... gypsum is decoupled using different materials... their top of line board is 1-3/8" thick, 13 layers incl ceramic, rubber etc, $175 for one 4'x8' sheet, very popular to those who purchase $3M condos and can hear everything going on next door !! (oh, and it's only 200 lbs per sheet...)

keep in mind that it's just as much about keeping unwanted noise from getting IN to your room as it is about keeping your sound from getting out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:36 pm 

I just simply used Roxul S&S with sound proof doors but I'm in a basement.Most of the sound I would like to eliminate travels through my return duct work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:12 pm 

I did some sonic upgrades (not really soundproofing) to improve the sound and acoustical performance of my listening room. I am fortunate to have a dedicated room downstairs just for my gear. I had a sound engineer come in to set up my speakers and improve my sound based on his experience. He informed me that it would be difficult to balance the sound in the room because the wall dividing my listening room with the laundry was 1/8" paneling over studs. He told me that most of the mids and bass wouldn't even see the wall and would reflect off the wall in the other room. When I did a reno downstairs, I filled all the walls with 4" of Roxul, dry walled both sides of the studs and put cement board around the utility room. That made a difference for my sound. I have absorbing panels at the back and at the first reflection points now as well and the room is balanced now, making it enjoyable and most likely less noisy upstairs.

cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:32 pm 

mcgsxr,
Have you tested the decibel levels upstairs with the door open vs. closed?
I was under the impression that a door would absorb 10db but you are talking about a solid core with a sweep.
Just wondering if it is a higher rating.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:49 pm 

okRichard wrote:
resilient metal channel between the joists (or studs) and the drywall does as much or more as any other product or material. it slows the transmission of sound thru solid wood by decoupling the framing from the finish material. inexpensive to purchase and not much work to install. run perpendicular to ceiling joists and horizontally on wall studs.

Resilient channels are interesting. I was all for it when my basement was being finished but everything I read stated they had to be installed bang on or they would fail. I didn't have faith in perfection lol.
The layers are what I have always believed to be the trick. The Toronto Star did a huge report a few years ago on the new "Filmport" studios in our portlands area (now Pinewood Studios) and they displayed a cross-section of their main sound-stage outer walls and it was around 3 feet deep with just layer after layer.
That would keep my kids from yelling "turn it down"...whilst cranking old Sabbath or new Motorhead.
8)