Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:18 am 

zhenya01 wrote:
Almost any room response can be corrected with absorber panels, diffusers and bass traps.

Yes, but the OP has already stated that this is not an option.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:26 am 

Ditch the wife, move into the commercial space you talked about and live happily ever after ... Jk :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:37 am 

Speakers can sound great in one room, horrible in another. Seems whenever I've changed rooms, the speakers need to change also.

No question in a smaller space you would be much happier with something that is stand mount and more importantly, sealed box or front ported. Yes you give up some bottom end but the speaker is much less fussy about positioning.

I moved into a condo 6 months ago from a house with dedicated listening room. My solution...

Harbeth M30.1s (or similar), area rug, window treatments (ie., expensive sound absorbing blinds), and, for fun, a good set of headphones.

All is now good in my world. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:38 am 
Premium User

I'd ditch the picky Totems before doing anything. The Hawks can go from sounding good to bad with just a small room adjustment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:53 am 

Dilbert wrote:
Ditch the wife, move into the commercial space you talked about and live happily ever after ... Jk :)

…this really is the best advice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:12 am 

You want speakers designed for a small space that work well with close to wall placement. Consider sealed boxes from Spendor such as the SA1 or D1 - they work great right up against the wall - they have excellent detail and dynamics and no bass boom. ATC SCM7 (maybe SCM11) would also be good competing options - also sealed boxes with tight bass that can be placed near a wall. Send those totems away - big speakers have no place in apartments.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:44 am 
Premium User

pollypocket wrote:
Perhaps an audiophile set of headphones is the answer for you at this stage. You can have the audiophile experience with your equipment, but take the environment out of the equation.

Paul
+1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:52 am 

Forget room treatments, forget swapping cables, and forget what audiophiles say. Introducing an equalizer in your system does not make you an evil person. You can adjust the sound the way it suits you and the room.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:19 am 

Sounds like it's time to incorporate a different EQ curve into the sonic puzzle... either by adding new speakers and/or by introducing a dedicated EQ unit (many current digital offerings are superlative).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:22 am 

lzp1 wrote:
Forget room treatments, forget swapping cables, and forget what audiophiles say. Introducing an equalizer in your system does not make you an evil person. You can adjust the sound the way it suits you and the room.

I second that. I had the same problems as the OP..I bought a used Sansui SE 99 EQ spectrum analyzer . Placed the mic in my sitting position and let the
the analyzer and EQ do it's thing...what an amazing difference that made. Comes with a light pen to do small adjustments. And there are those dancing bars
to keep you entertained.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:05 am 

I had a similar issue - a really nice system in a room that totally ruined the potential of it.

My room has different issues than yours, because I even had room treatments in there. What I ended up doing is selling it all off and instead spent the money on other things I needed and settled on headphones. For the money I made on what I sold, I was able to put together a very nice headphone set-up and it is extremely satisfying. Yep, speakers are nice, but being able to blast music without disturbing anyone and still have it sound amazing is really nice to have. I figure sure I'm trading off a sound stage and a sound in front of me, but in return I remove the room completely and get very top-end gear in the headphone market. Being in an apartment, this might be something to try out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:18 am 

Wow. Thank you to everyone who has weighed in on this!

As for my "big" Totem Hawks, I have to admit I was viewing them in terms of their footprint: years ago I had Model One Signatures, and with the stands, they take up more floorspace than the Hawks do.

I'm going to start doing some more experimentation. Last night I moved the Hawks a few inches further apart and a few inches forward, (They are now a few inches farther apart than they are from the listening position). It's not a sustainable positioning for living and moving around in the room, but if I had to, I could mark out the "playing position" where the speakers should go, and then push them back to the walls when not in use.
What I found with this positioning was that the midrange became more coherent, but the bass is still overwhelming.

I have Totem Tabu in storage, and I'm going to have someone send them out to me. They are stand-mount, but I had ruled out using them in this apartment because of how wide and deep they are (bigger footprint than the Hawks).

The other decent speakers than I can borrow to try for an evening are some B&W 602.5, which are unfortunately the same overall size as my Hawks, but they are front-ported. I think I will get them to try, as it will at least give me an idea of whether just being front-ported helps at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:27 am 

Get a Linn Majik or Accurate DSM with Space optimization and get rid of all those peaks and valleys. It works. No room treatment needed. It , in simple terms, adjusts the volume for the frequency peaks and troughs in your room. Certain frequencies can be energized by your room masking other detail and frequencies (boomy bass, sharp highs) . So it works in much the same way as room treatments do but the physical guess work is taking out of the exercise.

My MDSM transformed my listening space.

-- 07 Jul 2015 18:28 --

armaudio wrote:
Get a Linn Majik or Accurate DSM with Space optimization and get rid of all those peaks and valleys. It works. No room treatment needed. It , in simple terms, adjusts the volume for the frequency peaks and troughs in your room. Certain frequencies can be energized by your room masking other detail and frequencies (boomy bass, sharp highs) . So it works in much the same way as room treatments do but the physical guess work is taking out of the exercise. Think of it as an equalizer in an app.

My MDSM transformed my listening space.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:49 am 
Premium User

trentcanuck wrote:
Wow. Thank you to everyone who has weighed in on this!

As for my "big" Totem Hawks, I have to admit I was viewing them in terms of their footprint: years ago I had Model One Signatures, and with the stands, they take up more floorspace than the Hawks do.

I'm going to start doing some more experimentation. Last night I moved the Hawks a few inches further apart and a few inches forward, (They are now a few inches farther apart than they are from the listening position). It's not a sustainable positioning for living and moving around in the room, but if I had to, I could mark out the "playing position" where the speakers should go, and then push them back to the walls when not in use.
What I found with this positioning was that the midrange became more coherent, but the bass is still overwhelming.

I have Totem Tabu in storage, and I'm going to have someone send them out to me. They are stand-mount, but I had ruled out using them in this apartment because of how wide and deep they are (bigger footprint than the Hawks).

The other decent speakers than I can borrow to try for an evening are some B&W 602.5, which are unfortunately the same overall size as my Hawks, but they are front-ported. I think I will get them to try, as it will at least give me an idea of whether just being front-ported helps at all.

It's not the actual size of the Hawks that is the problem. They need LOTS of space from rear and side walls to sound their best. Any time I've had them in my fairly small listening room they have required 2+feet from the rear walls and more than 20 inches from the side walls. My Earths don't even require that much room. That's the downside of most Totem speakers, they are very picky about placement and amplification.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:04 am 

Another vote for dspeaker or EQ if you want a more DIY effort. Sure putting a rear ported speaker up against the wall is a recipe for trouble, but and EQ will fix that. It is especially good at fixing boomy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next