Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is it just me?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:53 pm 

So I stopped in Toronto a couple of days ago to pick up room treatments ( by the way:love your traffic : NOT! ) and just installed them today. Put panels behind the speakers and at first reflection points. Then, I installed floor to ceiling bass traps in both opposite corners and all I can say is : WOW!. Best money I've spent in this hobby. The reason for this post though is that I suddenly realized I'm now listening at potentially hazardous levels. Is this typical in a treated room?. I’m going to have to be cautious in the future as when I checked with my meter, I was averaging 94db and peeking north of 100. Ouch!. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Is it just me?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:11 pm 

I'M finding the same, except i went about it a different way. I'm using Linn Space application to alter the natural to my room peaks that drown out detail and make listen more of a chore. Not anymore, and the volume has gone up.

Kinda like getting a big American V8 super car after living with a 4 banger for so long. Just wanna push it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:34 pm 

armaudio wrote:
I'M finding the same, except i went about it a different way. I'm using Linn Space application to alter the natural to my room peaks that drown out detail and make listen more of a chore. Not anymore, and the volume has gone up.

Kinda like getting a big American V8 super car after living with a 4 banger for so long. Just wanna push it.

I just installed the Space app within the past few weeks, and wow, talk about a free upgrade.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:33 am 

Bill_KNVB wrote:
armaudio wrote:

I just installed the Space app within the past few weeks, and wow, talk about a free upgrade.

Don't you need a Linn DS to utilize the Space software?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:43 am 

What levels were you at before?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:55 am 

good sound wrote:
Don't you need a Linn DS to utilize the Space software?

That's correct - Yeah, I was a little off-topic there. The software is a decent consolation since I'm not in a position to add acoustic treatments to my room.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:01 am 

Michael F wrote:

Low 70's peeking at about 80 or so before I started to overpower the room. This was especially noticeable with the bass when I use my Mani's. With the SHL5's it was the treble that tended to get a little overcooked. It should be noted that my room is an acoustical nightmare ( 16' by 16' with 8' ceiling ). When I had the system set up at 45 degrees to the room, it was much better sounding with much higher levels available but real life requires I set the system up along one wall. All is good now though. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:22 am 

KJT1 wrote:
Michael F wrote:

Low 70's peeking at about 80 or so before I started to overpower the room. This was especially noticeable with the bass when I use my Mani's. With the SHL5's it was the treble that tended to get a little overcooked. It should be noted that my room is an acoustical nightmare ( 16' by 16' with 8' ceiling ). When I had the system set up at 45 degrees to the room, it was much better sounding with much higher levels available but real life requires I set the system up along one wall. All is good now though. :D

Going for the "volume up" button is always a good sign, but in moderation :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:39 am 

Now, if I can talk the wife into removing the pellet stove so that I can install a set of these....
Had a pair in the early 80's and still have very fond memories.

Attachments:
Klipschorn-Front-Cherry_635647050437248000_medium.jpg
Klipschorn-Front-Cherry_635647050437248000_medium.jpg [ 67.85 KiB | Viewed 2808 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:28 am 

as Harbeth user you are audiophile so plese do not look at the Klipsch anymore.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:37 am 

Hi KJT1 Where did you buy the treatments if you dont mind me asking Thanks D.R.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:54 am 

drace1 wrote:
Hi KJT1 Where did you buy the treatments if you dont mind me asking Thanks D.R.

PM sent.

-- 05 Jul 2015 19:59 --

libor wrote:
as Harbeth user you are audiophile so plese do not look at the Klipsch anymore.....

Oh, come on!. Everybody needs a big goofy set of speakers to play every now and then just to shake the foundations and make you giggle like a school girl looking at Justin Beiber. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:10 pm 

KJT1 wrote:
The reason for this post though is that I suddenly realized I'm now listening at potentially hazardous levels. Is this typical in a treated room?.:mrgreen:

Yes.

Turning it up might be just how conditioned you are to the reflected sound. You now have to get used to the ease at which you hear sound coming directly from the speaker. Turning it up is a way to increase the volume of *reflected* sound, which has gone way down due to the treatments.

Stick with the SPL meter for a while, let it dictate your volume levels. Over 90 dB with peaks to 100 dB is damaging to your hearing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:21 pm 

Erik wrote:
KJT1 wrote:
The reason for this post though is that I suddenly realized I'm now listening at potentially hazardous levels. Is this typical in a treated room?.:mrgreen:

Yes.

Turning it up might be just how conditioned you are to the reflected sound. You now have to get used to the ease at which you hear sound coming directly from the speaker. Turning it up is a way to increase the volume of *reflected* sound, which has gone way down due to the treatments.

Stick with the SPL meter for a while, let it dictate your volume levels. Over 90 dB with peaks to 100 dB is damaging to your hearing.

Yup, kinda figured that as the magic number is 85 dB. I was just wondering if it was typical to end up cranking it up without realizing it. I was startled by how loud it was without seeming that way. Here is the funny part, on the drive home from Ontario I found myself listening to the car stereo louder as well which must of been caused by the dampening effect of all the panels piled in the back. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:14 pm 

or the progressing hearing loss....outch, sorry....