Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:19 am 

chuttt wrote:
Nice !
What about on the side?
Also will you be able to move the speakers out a bit?

Thanks for the note. I'm not sure what you meant by "side". The speakers probably won't move. I've not got a lot of depth to work with, and the room is multi-purpose.

-- 01 Jun 2015 18:22 --

julesaudio wrote:
Suggest thin pegboard for rear cover of the absorber + mount it one inch off back wall. This will increase effectiveness with marginal extra weight. Some sound will leak through, that is OK.

I'm aware that the 1" gap would improve performance. I've already done it in 3" rather than 1.5", and moving it out would not make others in the household happy.

Mounting these panels didn't make me happy. how to mount them invisibly? the brackets show on the ceiling panel, and I would have liked a 1" gap there.

What would the purpose of the pegboard be? A rigid mounting surface?

-- 01 Jun 2015 18:24 --

big_willy wrote:
Looks good - especially like the added touch of the bevel. If I had the tools needed to do that I would.
Burlap is another material to consider for wrapping. What's the best material to use to cover the backside?

Thanks. I'm considering burlap for the back, and perhaps for future panels to give variety. The bevels were easy to make on a table saw.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:54 pm 

Wish I had a table saw...

I think once you see how much nice the burlap looks you'll want to go with that all around. I had black speaker cloth panels just like yours before and rewrapped them all with burlap - wifey loves it. A nice light-medium neutral color - makes the room look more spacious compared with the black which can make the room look smaller. Just a thought..

Thank you for taking the time to take and put up pics. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:08 pm 

Thanks for the note. Where did you get the burlap? I'm seriously interested.

As I had stated before, the dark blue was chosen to reduce light reflection from the room back onto the screen. And it shows. But I don't wany any more dark panels in this room.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:13 pm 

I did the same thing recently. Some notes:

- I bought a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood down at home depot and them saw it into 2.5 inch strips for me to use for the frames. Cheap, perfectly straight and strong.
- Butted square on corners with only a couple of drywall screws. They didn't need glue.
- Used the same rigid insulation except only one piece per panel pushed flush to the front of the frame. Left me with 1 inch space behind when frames mounted flush to wall.
- Built my frames to 2ft x 4ft to hold one panel of the rigid insulation snug with no cutting.
- Used black Guildford of Maine (GOM) material to match my stage.
- For backing, the same material that is used for dust-covers on the bottom of chairs and sofas can be had at the fabric store for cheap.

Your corners look really good. I ended up with a 45 degree fold on the tops and bottoms at each corner. It looks decent enough. Also, how did you end up mounting to ceiling? I'm thinking on how I could easily hang them down an inch or so for effect rather than flush mount like the walls.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9pddkkx3xrt6 ... 1.jpg?dl=0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:17 pm 

I got the burlap from Fabricland locally - not cheap, to cover 5 (2x4) panels it cost about $90 with taxes for the fabric - only the fronts and wrapped around, not the full back. I would also check out this:

http://www.guilfordofmaine.com/acoustic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:46 pm 

pdg540 wrote:
Your corners look really good. I ended up with a 45 degree fold on the tops and bottoms at each corner. It looks decent enough. Also, how did you end up mounting to ceiling? I'm thinking on how I could easily hang them down an inch or so for effect rather than flush mount like the walls.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9pddkkx3xrt6 ... 1.jpg?dl=0

I used to make musical instrument cases. The trick with the corners is to cut away most of the unneeded material to start, and then fold it in, so you end up with just a crease at the corner, which hardly shows. Keep the tension high and it nearly disappears.

I have picture hangers on the wall panel, and used brackets (which show) for the ceiling panel/cloud. I wish I had a better/prettier method of fastening to the ceiling.

Yours is a sharp looking room; the panels look excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:04 pm 

Thanks for posting this L-Man. I'm looking at employing these in the man cave which is a smaller room at 12.5 x 16. Will be doing some experimentation. Have an 8' semi-gloss ceiling which needs taming. And will test treating front and back wall too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:42 am 

airdronian wrote:
Thanks for posting this L-Man. I'm looking at employing these in the man cave which is a smaller room at 12.5 x 16. Will be doing some experimentation. Have an 8' semi-gloss ceiling which needs taming. And will test treating front and back wall too.

Thanks for the comment.

I seriously doubt that semi-gloss would be any more acoustically reflective than matte or satin finish paint. But treating that ceiling would be very important.

I would suggest that you use a minimum 3" panel, perhaps hung with a gap between it and the ceiling to increase its effectiveness. Use a mirror to find your exact points of reflection to be sure that you are treating the "specular" reflection points of your front speakers. What is on your floor?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:59 am 

L-Man wrote:
airdronian wrote:

Thanks for the comment.

I seriously doubt that semi-gloss would be any more acoustically reflective than matte or satin finish paint. But treating that ceiling would be very important.

I would suggest that you use a minimum 3" panel, perhaps hung with a gap between it and the ceiling to increase its effectiveness. Use a mirror to find your exact points of reflection to be sure that you are treating the "specular" reflection points of your front speakers. What is on your floor?

Carpet on concrete.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:07 am 

airdronian wrote:
Carpet on concrete.

With foam padding underneath? That is what I have. Since your floor is not live, the I would think that you just need basic control of primary reflections on your ceiling. You don't want it to be too dead. I've just got a 1-1/2" panel flush mounted on the ceiling, though my reflection points are on acoustic ceiling tile, I think, which is not as reflective as drywall.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:24 am 

Pictures seem to be missing again....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:06 am 
Premium User

LaSalle wrote:
Pictures seem to be missing again....

All the pictures still appear for me on the 2 year old post, both in IE and in Edge. What browser and OS are you having this problem with?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:18 am 

Windows 7/Firefox

Just tried in Chrome and they are working. Could be a config issue with my Firefox.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:31 am 

They work here, Win7/Firefox and IE.

I figure I'd throw in an updated media room image.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:35 am 

So just to clarify, all my acoustic panels should be mounted one inch out from the wall for proper performance?. I hadn’t picked up on this before and they are all surface mounted, still seem to work well though.