Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:21 am 

I just did this project myself. By far, the best on-line resource I found was the Room Set Up page at Real Traps:

http://realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

My summary, in priority order:

1. I used the 38% rule from the back wall to determine listening position. The rest of the setup was easy from there.
2. Use the equilateral triangle near-field approach. You can move the speakers along the axis to find the best position.
3. Tri corner bass traps in each corner
4. Absorption panels at the first reflection point (and in your case on the wood floor, maybe an area rug)
5. I put an absorption panel on a stand behind the listening position
6. I purchased two additional panels to install on the front wall but decided the room sounded too dead with them and didn't use them.

Good luck with your project!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:25 am 

My room is pretty small, maybe 10x16 at most - I run big 3-way JBL/Altec horns and to me they sound pretty decent - far better than any ported speakers would in that space I am sure...
Byron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:21 am 

that extra 6 feet makes quite a difference...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:11 pm 

I also have a small listening room for one of my systems. I have the speakers in each corner on the floor and I am sitting on a bean bag chair. With this set-up there is no need for room treatments (nor is there room). The speakers are pointed right at me from 5 feet away. This is similar to what Mapleshade recommends. Speakers are Design Audio Point source 10's with a small EL 84 amp. Plenty of bass and images incredibly. My room is nearly the same size as yours except mine has 8ft ceilings.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:37 pm 

I also went diagonal as my main listening space is 15' by 16' so almost square. I am unable to fill the room up with treatments because it also happens to be my livingroom. Going diagonal allowed me to get rid of a lot of reflections and strange bass bumps. I am running Harbeths now but I also have Totems and Paradigms as well as Energys and they all seem to like this setup. Heavy carpet,drapes and overstuffed listening chair made a big difference as well. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:01 pm 

Thanks for all the information...had a chance to start looking at some of the sites that were recommended...very good sources. Looking forward to researching and experimenting to see what works best for my room.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:53 am 

My room is like yours,with a lot of acoustic study it turned out the best I have ever heard.First insulate solid core door,very important.Floor to ceiling bass traps all 4 corners,fist reflection absorbers side walls,and ceiling most important.Rear wall diffusion,or some absorbsion,one listening chair not leather unless small and rounded.Because room is small will not need rug and you will be listening in near field,38% rule,sweet spot 38%from front wall or rear wall which ever works best thats it,you have taken your room away,congrats you are on your way,dedicated power line or lines,mood lighting,a joint,drop needle to tubes to quality stand mounts, sit back and hear music you never thought possible.Your room will be very revealing,will now respond to audio tweaking,and a new audio addiction will start.Remember NO DIGITAL!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:28 pm 

My bedroom have 9.5x12x8 foot ceiling.

The sound is VERY good. My old space had 14.5x22.5x8 and this tiny place is as good but different overall.
For the bass, I simply put something in my speaker's port and this solve the most of the extra bass energy I had. I put some DSP eq to flatten the rest of the curve.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:42 pm 

Where is the bed?

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:22 pm 

pompon wrote:
My bedroom have 9.5x12x8 foot ceiling.

The sound is VERY good. My old space had 14.5x22.5x8 and this tiny place is as good but different overall.
For the bass, I simply put something in my speaker's port and this solve the most of the extra bass energy I had. I put some DSP eq to flatten the rest of the curve.

Stunning job Pompom,I have a good idea what it sounds like :wink:.Also the measurements to prove it...I'm surprised you had to use port plugs with all the treatments you have in the room.I had a similar problem and I used two monster traps (6 inches of OC703 BEHIND the speakers).How do you like the difference the GIK Gridfusor's made??

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:25 pm 

I have a small living room 12'x14' or a little less. When I bought my first tube integrated amp I hooked them up to my first pair of omni speakers. For more than 40 years I'd only had solid state gear and conventionalbox speakers. The orignal system comprised a Grant Fidelity A34 integrated 50/wpc, EL34 tubes and Duevel Planets speakers. This system was less than half the money I paid for my original system yet, it was so much better sounding. I later changed the A34 amp for A Grant Fidelity A 348 integrated 60/wpc KT88, again the sound improved the KT 88's provided more grunt. I later changed the A348 for a Grant Fidelity W30 integrated, 40/wpc, KT88, tube phono stage with built in dac, had this amp not existed I would have been happy with the A348, the W30 was an absolute steal for the price. I used all three amps with the Planets to great success but, four years ago I bought a pair of slightly used Duevel Venus speakers. The W30 paired with the Venus are absolutely magic. My position is a decent tube amp and Duevel speakers are hard to beat. Morrison omni speakers look interesting and are made in Toronto. I believe the newest model is $9000. While $9000. isn't chump change, Don Morrison has quite a few fans. I hope to audition his speakers this summer.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:35 pm 

As was mentioned your room is almost cubed but with the suggested Arro speakers there really would be no need for bass traps as the Totem Arro isn't really going to energize the room in the low end anyways. I do like the sound of the Totems in small rooms where they tend to disappear both aurally and physically. I question why a bookshelf speaker is not a consideration rather than a small footprint floor speaker. A speaker like the Elac B6 has been getting great reviews, costs peanuts and with decent stands,perhaps bought used, would still be cheaper than the Totems. Granted they are vinyl wrap and have a lively cabinet but in your small room, low to medium volumes and with a slightly rolled off treble they should be a really good match for you and your room.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:48 am 

Lots of good advice so far.

I would consider putting your gear n the closet Ina small room to maximize the available space for the speaker placement options.

I would not be afraid to try MMG's in a room like that either or other small open baffles as an experiment.

I might be tempted to try some British stand mounts in a room like that, or French. A set of Usher S520 could do well too.

I wonder if some small single driver speakers and a small tube amp would not shine in there too.

Agree a solid core door, door sweep, and weather stripping will go a long way to help with isolation.

Some room treatment may be inevitable. A sub may prove easier than speakers with big bass.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:23 am 

This might help,
Youtube
Ethan Winer's hearing is believing

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:02 am 

The small BBC style monitors were designed for near field listening and are perfect for small rooms. You don't have to worry about a lot of room treatment (or any) - they don't have much bass to excite the room and the treble is a bit rolled off. They also work well close to a wall (sealed boxes). There are many LS3/5a variants - ATC SCM7, Spendor s3/5r, Harbeth P3 - and for an original BBC design - Falcon or Sterling.
Note they are all a bit insensitive - you'll need at least 50W of solid state to drive them.