Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:56 pm 

I've been using a multi purpose room for years for my 2 channel setup (not easy to setup properly), now have the chance to convert a bedroom into a listening room. The bedroom is 11 1/2 feet by 10 1/4 feet, 9 ft. drywall walls with a wood floor.

Have not decided on equipment yet - thinking of a tube amp with a small footprint floor standing speaker. I plan to put the speakers on the long wall, add an area rug, also have some wall treatments I can install at the main reflection points.

Any other recommendations? Issues with this size room?

With the speakers pulled out from the wall, I'm not sure I can setup an equilateral triangle (or close), so this might be a near field setup. I'm sure I'll have to experiment once I get the equipment and setup the room.

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:52 pm 

Start with a thick carpet and absorber panels on the walls.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:11 pm 

thats a tad close to a cube...bass will be a challenge.

Bass traps in each corner, and slim floorstanders like Totem Arro would be a good start.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:46 pm 

For near field I wouldn't suggest totem, though I do love the arro. I've found up close they sound a bit harsh on the ears. I would consider the Harbeth P3ESR as they are extremely good for small spaces and near field listening without any of the fatigue that can come from close quarters. Maybe out of range but the Harbeth C7ES3 was designed in a room about your size and sounds excellent in small and large rooms. Also works comfortably on the ground. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:55 pm 

How many listeners at once?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:11 pm 

I found that the best quiet time to listen to music is before sleep. Thus I built custom high stands to bring my bookshelf speakers (GX100) to the listening level while lying in bed and above dressers etc. I positioned them so the sweet spot is for me (don't tell the misses!). Heavy duvet, thick mattress cover, blackout drapes, items to breakup/disperse waves on horizontal surfaces. The extra high mattress with built in 6" foam topper functions as a bass trap.

prism

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:38 pm 

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
thats a tad close to a cube...bass will be a challenge.

Bass traps in each corner, and slim floorstanders like Totem Arro would be a good start.

Thanks, hadn't thought about the "cube" issue. Have not experimented with bass traps before, will look into them. Arros are on my list, will check Harbeth as well as I've read good reviews on them.

-- 03 Oct 2014 02:39 --

Erik wrote:
How many listeners at once?

One :D

-- 03 Oct 2014 02:41 --

prism wrote:
I found that the best quiet time to listen to music is before sleep. Thus I built custom high stands to bring my bookshelf speakers (GX100) to the listening level while lying in bed and above dressers etc. I positioned them so the sweet spot is for me (don't tell the misses!). Heavy duvet, thick mattress cover, blackout drapes, items to breakup/disperse waves on horizontal surfaces. The extra high mattress with built in 6" foam topper functions as a bass trap.

prism

I should have mentioned...the room is now empty, will only be used as a listening room, no bedroom furniture.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:07 pm 
Premium User

Install diffusers on the front wall & absorbers behind. These 2 costs by far outweigh any other room treatment expense.

Build The LeanfuserTM if you have the fortitude:
http://arqen.com/downloads/acoustics/di ... FzfF7nfzB9

My $.02

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:09 pm 

One makes it easier.

Don't be afraid to try non-conventional layouts like corner, asymmetrical,

I would try for speakers that sound good close to walls for greater flexibility.
No dipoles!

Post subject: Room Acoustics...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:58 pm 

Hi Robert

You may want to have a good look at http://www.acousticfields.com/.

Recently I stumbled onto a video by the head engineering guy - Dennis Foley - and was immediately struck by his honesty when talking about the considerable problems with "small room" acoustics. The website has a series of videos aimed at educating people to the issues involved in making small spaces sound "better". If you've never delved into the topic, these vids are for you.

There is a page you can fill out to receive a free acoustic treatment room analysis - enter your dimensions, answer some associated questions, and they will suggest what treatments you should consider to deal with your individual situation.

Regarding "bass traps" (for you will surely need to control LF nodes in such a small space), Dennis is quite clear that the only practical, effective tool is diaphragmatic bass absorption. Anything based on foam or fiberglass does not have nearly enough mass to capture and absorb the LF energy causing room nodes. They have pioneered a unique Bass Absorption technology that is (claimed to be) the most efficient in the industry, in terms of small footprint/high absorption capability. Not cheap, but very effective (see the testimonial vids from recording industry pros).

They also sell DIY plans based on their commercial designs - check out the How-To videos if you're DIY-inclined.

Given that most of the sound we hear comes via reflections in the room (I've seen figures like 15% direct/85% reflected), there is no greater truth than "your room is the largest determinant of how you perceive your playback". Ignoring the room will guarantee you never hear the full potential of what your gear is capable of producing.

I hope these ideas are helpful Robert. Good Luck making your 2-Channel Refuge a satisfying reality.
Cheers,
Grant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:11 am 

...near field...stand mount...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:25 am 

My dedicated listening room is also tiny....my advice is do not go with too much speaker...small speakers work really well in smaller rooms.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:31 am 

okanaudio wrote:
My dedicated listening room is also tiny....my advice is do not go with too much speaker...small speakers work really well in smaller rooms.

My room is exactly the same size as the O.P.'s...I have Totem Model 1s pretty much out in the middle of the room in a near-field configuration...sublime...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:02 am 

I went diagonal. Placing the stands took a lot of experimentation. The bedroom furnishings actually contribute to the balance of absorption and liveliness. You will have to do the same with treatments.
prism

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:11 am 

I'm also just prep'ing my listening room with added room treatments. I've not tried and/or even listened in a properly treated room so it seems like an engineering experiment to me but the more I read about it and the general consensus from the CAM community, the more excited I get. Seems like small outlay for big gains. Besides, if it doesn't work, someone else will want to give it a try but I'm convinced it'll be worth every penny.