Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:05 pm 

I just rewired my power supplies and then got carried away with more sound testing. I've pulled both rear bass traps and re-positioned the speakers out and back a few inches to boost the bass. Felt like it was a bit over-dampened and needed to be balanced with the mid and highs.
Surprising how much you can tune things with a few changes! And much easier to see what you're doing with the right acoustical treatments to add, subtract and simply re-position.
Pretty sure it'll take me most of the weekend, sampling various music to get it exactly where I want. It would be so much easier if I only liked Jazz or Rock or Blues etc.. I guess I'll need to find the right compromise that suits most all of it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:21 pm 

Any way you can post a graph of your in-room FR?

What was the total outlay for the treatment?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:25 pm 

I can see where some folks feel that to many panels will make the room to dead.
First reflections(sidewalls,ceiling)those should be plain with no membrane whatsoever)
Bass trapping seems to be a different matter,you can load the room up in as many corners as you can fit,
whether tri corners,floor wall corners,ceiling wall corners especially if they have a MEMBRANE OF sorts to reflect the mids and highs.
Seems some people just use plain 703/705 or Roxull and slap it up everywhere.
703/705 you can get with the Foil backing which is great for ALL CORNERS as it will absorb more down deep+reflect those mids and highs.
Use the Roxull/ plain703/705 for 1st reflections otherwise for sure you'll suck the life out of the room if you use it everywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:03 pm 

kwadzilla wrote:
Any way you can post a graph of your in-room FR?

What was the total outlay for the treatment?

I'll see if I can come up with some data that I can share.
Total outlay for the 6 panels and 3 bass traps came to about $350. I've spent lots more on other improvements but not as significant an improvement. The biggest kick I get is I will now know what I want to upgrade/change and see how it changes as I'm not chasing poor room dynamics.

-- 15 Nov 2014 01:11 --

drummermitchell wrote:
I can see where some folks feel that to many panels will make the room to dead.
First reflections(sidewalls,ceiling)those should be plain with no membrane whatsoever)
Bass trapping seems to be a different matter,you can load the room up in as many corners as you can fit,
whether tri corners,floor wall corners,ceiling wall corners especially if they have a MEMBRANE OF sorts to reflect the mids and highs.
Seems some people just use plain 703/705 or Roxull and slap it up everywhere.
703/705 you can get with the Foil backing which is great for ALL CORNERS as it will absorb more down deep+reflect those mids and highs.
Use the Roxull/ plain703/705 for 1st reflections otherwise for sure you'll suck the life out of the room if you use it everywhere.

I used OC703 with foil backing for the panels (which may be partly why I was getting too much dampening) and Safe n Sound for the bass traps. My research showed better results with SnS for the low end.
But, now the individual characteristics of the room (size and materials) and those of my system will further dictate how and what applications will get the SQ that fits my tastes. Very cool developments!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:48 am 

Very often, not always of course some judicious room treatment goes a long way as to buying and selling hi fi/home theater gear willy nilly. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Tyreman on Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:38 am 
Premium User

Live-End <> Dead-End
The results seems constant whether dealing with HT or 2CH.

Diffusion in the front, absorption in the corners and back. This has worked extremely well for my rooms, now merged into 1.

Attachments:
IMG_5704.JPG
IMG_5704.JPG [ 156.36 KiB | Viewed 989 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:01 am 

Quote:
That's 6 panels already.GIK told me to double up on the Corning OC on a low ceiling such as yours.That means 4 inch thick panels on the ceiling.

GIK's analysis of your room does not necessarily translate to his room. Putting up large 4" panels on the ceiling ismay be overkill, especially when you have carpet in the room!

Quote:
I used OC703 with foil backing for the panels (which may be partly why I was getting too much dampening) and Safe n Sound for the bass traps. My research showed better results with SnS for the low end.

Why would the 703 with the backing give you more damping? The backing acts a reflector for the upper mids and HF, it should be used in places where you don't want to absorb HF, such as bass traps. A real superchunk bass trap extends from floor to ceiling and presents a lot of surface area that will become broadband absorption if you use Roxul or the unbacked 703. That's fine if you factor it in.

Quote:
I've pulled both rear bass traps and re-positioned the speakers out and back a few inches to boost the bass. Felt like it was a bit over-dampened and needed to be balanced with the mid and highs.

So you've taken out bass traps because you have too much absorption but added as much absorption to the ceiling? You've removed bass trapping function where it counts most, in the corners. You say you used 703 with backing for your 6 panels? You've created midband absorbers, the backing will reflect the HF and 4" panels without spacing behind them will not go very far into the bass region. You will increase your performance by having a frame that allows there to be an air cavity behind the panel, like using 2" 703 inside of a 4" frame.

You've made some great efforts so far but be careful to understand what it is you are trying to accomplish and how these various tools will act. I have hard surface floor and ceiling which was creating some floor-ceiling slap echo, 3 2x2' 2" panels was more than enough to break that up. You won't have floor-ceiling slap echo because you have carpet, so you are trying to tame first reflection points. That's great except it appears in the photo that the angle of incidence, based on the position of your celing panel, puts your listening position about perpendicular to where that electrical socket is! The side panels may have the same issue, looks like that bare spot between them may be where one needed to be for incident angle reflection.

What is in the corners now? It looks like a panel across the adjacent walls, is there anything behind it? If not and it is allowed to breath from top and bottom then it is doing very little bass trapping and essentially acting as another mid-band absorber.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:10 am 

CherryAudio wrote:
Well. Done with my DIY. I installed 4 (OC 703) wall panels an 2 (OC 703) ceiling panels along with 3 x 5' tri-corner bass traps. The sound change is an astoundingly great improvement. I'm currently playing with some acoustic software to see what adjustments may be needed. I may remove one or two bass traps as they may be a little over dampened, but I doubt it.

Next on the change list is removal of the wood coffee table (I can move it out when needed now) but my better half wants a new recliner sofa or ?? if I take the coffee table away. :roll:

Which B&W speakers is that? an 803?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:06 am 

Live end dead end is opposite of what poster said,speaker end is dead end with bass traps at all four corners,and fist reflection absorbers at side walls and ceiling.diffuser front wall between speakers,makes for a smaller space front of room,only diffusion on back wall just like acousticly treated music auditorias.You most likely will not need carpet if these thing are done correctly,the dampening treatments will give an even s.q.across frequency range.Noticed a fire place,stuff with insulation,and remove wood table in front of sweat spot,replace sofa with fabric covered soft chair if big,maybe leather chair if small and rounded.used 38% rule for sweat spot,38% from front wall or rear wall which ever works for your room type.Speakers set triangle with chair,play around with speakers a little and toe in as what's best to your liking,next will be dropping needle and listening music toned with tubes,and remember NO DIGITAL !