Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:34 am 

50gift wrote:
Kwad,
So far, I haven't added any diffusion materials yet. The projector screen is 28" behind the speakers and would easily fit approx 2" of material behind. I was thinking of a bass trap in the rear corner as well and I've removed the side table.
Phar,
The coffee table has to remain but I can float some kind of covering idea past the boss... If that doesn't work, a furnishing makeover is an easy sell. Haha.. The sub is set up as part of the HT system and not the 2ch. I did contemplate trying it as I was looking for deeper bass but the new room dynamics has more than done the job.

You're on the right track, IMO, with the bass trapping. Wave Acoustic (CAM dealer) sells 6' panels - I'd butt them together in the corners. With the peaks and nulls attenuated you'll obtain more clarity over the entire bandwidth and likely get more dynamics! I see you're in BC, so maybe a dealer out there would be a better source as shipping panels from here would be pricey.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:20 am 

50gift google "Super Chunk Bass Trap" and this will show you the way to proper corner bass traps or look in our own room listening forum.Unfortunately you have a low ceiling in that room and so do I in my basement.I emailed GIK acoustics and they actually recommended going with 4 inches of OC703 on the ceiling.When I get around to it I will be putting up a cloud (overhead first reflection) of panels to go a long with my corner traps and 1st and 2nd side wall reflections.

Check out the room packages at GIK acoustics for ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:26 am 

50gift, how are you installing all this acoustic stuff - panels, diffusers, bass traps? This stuff can't be just added 'by ear'. You need to install panels in specific points, you cannot over do it. There are some basic room analysis software available, google it, download and see what you need.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:59 pm 

Thanks for the tips and I'll certainly look into this before going much farther.
I built this room a number of years ago before getting into audio to this level. I used, what was referred to as acoustical (rock wool) insulation and 3/4 drywall on the ceilings and walls as there was some thought towards a basement suite. Would this have some similar qualities/benefits such as individual panels? Probably not, but I thought I'd ask....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:11 pm 

50gift wrote:
Thanks for the tips and I'll certainly look into this before going much farther.
I built this room a number of years ago before getting into audio to this level. I used, what was referred to as acoustical (rock wool) insulation and 3/4 drywall on the ceilings and walls as there was some thought towards a basement suite. Would this have some similar qualities/benefits such as individual panels? Probably not, but I thought I'd ask....

That acoustical insulation is mostly to absorb the sound from propagating to other rooms. Now that the fiber is covered by drywall, it doesn't have any effect on highs and mids. One 'famous' example of fiberglass board fiber used for DIY absorption panels is (brand name) Owens Corning 703.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:47 pm 

That's kind of what I thought... I'm pretty sure I can sell the wife on a new leather sofa and some kind of padded foot stool table and then hopefully clear sailing for room treatments. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:48 pm 

50gift wrote:
That's kind of what I thought... I'm pretty sure I can sell the wife on a new leather sofa and some kind of padded foot stool table and then hopefully clear sailing for room treatments. 8)

Room panels don't have to be ugly (plain black, white, whatever) - you can get fabric with prints and any color you want, just the price goes up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:25 pm 

I've been reading and looking into room treatments and there is certainly a lot of info out there. It also appears there has been a lot of wasted time trying to get the right combination to suit the room and, of course, there's the cost of doing it all at once.
Given a limited budget and completing this over time, should I start with items in order of; Bass Traps, absorbtion panels, diffusers? Recommendations?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:05 pm 

50gift wrote:
I've been reading and looking into room treatments and there is certainly a lot of info out there. It also appears there has been a lot of wasted time trying to get the right combination to suit the room and, of course, there's the cost of doing it all at once.
Given a limited budget and completing this over time, should I start with items in order of; Bass Traps, absorbtion panels, diffusers? Recommendations?

Panels behind speakers and at first point reflections. Should be more than enough to start.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:43 pm 

zhenya01 wrote:
Panels behind speakers and at first point reflections. Should be more than enough to start.

I concur with Z.

When you say "limited budget"... limited to how much? $200? $300? Are you handy? Would you consider DIY to stretch your dollar?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:49 pm 

I'm hoping to keep it down to $500 for now and I am easily capable of DIY but want to keep the overall room presentation on the higher end for the WAF so considering retail..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:08 pm 

50gift wrote:
I'm hoping to keep it down to $500 for now and I am easily capable of DIY but want to keep the overall room presentation on the higher end for the WAF so considering retail..

The WAF comes from the material you select and how careful you are with the folds around the corners.

$100 1.5"x24x48 Roxul, two bags
$100 1x2 and 1x6 wood for framing
$10 staples
$30 staple gun
$100-200 fabric

Under $450 and you have enough material for four 4" panels for the corners and six 1.5" panels for reflection points 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:09 pm 

kwadzilla wrote:
50gift wrote:

The WAF comes from the material you select and how careful you are with the folds around the corners.

$100 1.5"x24x48 Roxul, two bags
$100 1x2 and 1x6 wood for framing
$10 staples
$30 staple gun
$100-200 fabric

Under $450 and you have enough material for four 4" panels for the corners and six 1.5" panels for reflection points 8)

That sounds like more money than finished panels in the classifieds section from a local dealer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:33 am 

I'm looking at lot's of options including just DIY as it's a pretty easy build. Has anyone had any experience with these products offered by Winroc-SPI? http://www.spi-co.com/pdf/Absorption-Plus-Brochure.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:21 pm 

Update - I picked up some OC 703 and just finished up constructing 6 x 2x4 absorption panels and, while at it, built 3 corner bass traps. I'll finish them up tomorrow and then get to work on proper placements. The 6 panels may be too many but I can always sell off the extras, if needed.
I was thinking of calling up a sound engineer friend to help advise on best placements but it does seem to be pretty straight forward (?). Thinking with panels behind the speakers and bass traps in the corners, finding the reflection points should be pretty easy.
Any words of wisdom before I embark on this new application?
Thanks, 50.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next