Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:44 am 

I took the plunge and moved my 2ch system to the basement theatre room. I was a hold out on keeping it in the living room but the layout, flooring etc,, seemed to be compromising the SQ.
Spent about 4 hrs rewiring the theater and setting up the 2ch (separately). The room has about a 7.5' ceiling of 3/4 drywall with acoustical insulation, fully carpeted and uncluttered with furnishings. the room dimensions are 13 x 20 and minimal windows etc.
Got it all hooked up and operational about 11pm and *BAM*!! that's the sound change I was hoping for!! I have been contemplating a new amp, changing up speakers, etc, etc, etc. But, all I needed was to follow my CAM friends suggestions of proper room design. Now, might have to look into bass traps and so on.
Anyways, it's going to be a great weekend of music with my (new audio) system.... :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:08 am 

That's terrific! All with just a little thought and zero money spent. Enjoy your tunes and the weekend. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:07 am 

Just proves the fact that many people miss - room is one of the most, if not the most important component of the stereo system / theater. Properly treated room = the best part of your system.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:28 am 

Congrats! I've been contemplating moving from my awkward family room upstairs to a dedicated room downstairs. Much work to do to get it ready, but you make a good point about spending money for tweaks, when a room change can have a much bigger impact.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:28 am 

Nice,

I was thinking to comment, you have already - great ! Where do you have both front L/R positioned ..?

I want to make the shift as well. Was thinking to place the 2 channel fronts inside the HT fronts (between the stand and HT LR)

This is what my friend has done as well. Thought most practical, ideal if more space. The option is there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:51 am 

I was going to wait till I was done but here's where I'm at as of midnight last night... Once I get everything tucked in properly, I should have the speakers set at about 2.5' from the side walls and about 3' from the back wall (will mess around with this to get it right). The projector screen is behind and the front/center theater speakers are mounted with the screen. (The sub is for the HT and I have rear ceiling mount speakers).

It should work fairly well and I have the WAF and a big thumbs up on sound quality!!

Please feel free to comment and advise possible changes...

Attachments:
audio room.jpg
audio room.jpg [ 115.08 KiB | Viewed 5087 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:12 am 

Well..... For any of you out there that have been wondering if you can improve your system performance with a room change, I can attest that it can be massive!! The only other place I've heard a sound stage like this before was at Sound Hounds demo room.
Frankly, I was in disbelief and kept experimenting with lesser quality recordings - trying to see if I could diminish the sensation of a live performance! This is a completely different 2ch setup.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:33 am 

Amen to that. I just went through a month-long exercise trying to get decent sound in the living room. After 3 wholesale re-arrangements of furniture & speakers and some basic room treatments I now have the best sounding room I've had in 30+ years.

The last move (essentially rotating everything 90 degrees to see if I could stop having all the bass end up in the bedroom instead of the listening position) was what made the biggest difference. Other things helped but not as much as getting the right relationship between room and speakers. Previously I had the soundstage right but essentially no bass.

Congrats on getting your room beaten into shape !!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:47 am 

50gift wrote:
Well..... For any of you out there that have been wondering if you can improve your system performance with a room change, I can attest that it can be massive!! The only other place I've heard a sound stage like this before was at Sound Hounds demo room.
Frankly, I was in disbelief and kept experimenting with lesser quality recordings - trying to see if I could diminish the sensation of a live performance! This is a completely different 2ch setup.

Just a suggestion if you remove the sofa table from the middle, it will help to stabilize the sound stage and alleviate the glare...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:21 pm 

But where do I put the beer?? Jk. I might be pushing it a bit on the WAF. Maybe when she's not home... :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:18 pm 

tube54 wrote:
50gift wrote:

Just a suggestion if you remove the sofa table from the middle, it will help to stabilize the sound stage and alleviate the glare...

I was going to suggest removing the side table and experimenting with a piece of treatment on the adjacent wall it looks like it could be a strong reflection point. And try putting a table cloth on the other. Somewhere to put your drink feet or snacks is a must in any good listening room. For those reasons a little compromise comes into play.

Last edited by sublimesounds on Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:30 pm 

It's amazing (or not so amazing...) how much the physical space the system is set into will impact the sound. I've always believed the room is what you're hearing first, even before the speaker, cables, caps, cartridge, connector etc. A well damped room trumps and not many people spend the time to tinker and tweak the space (coming from the guy that has treated less than 15% of the surface area of his listening space :cry: ).

50, how much room do you have between the wall and projector? If you have a couple inches, my suggestion is to add some diffusion or absorption there.

But for now, keep enjoying your new system!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:32 pm 

I hadn't realized, until my significant other's appreciation, just how much I enjoy my setup even more. She says my speakers are sexy, and comments how nice the sound. :lol:

Acoustic, power and...loved one approvals - very important. Very nice synergy :)

I do agree with the suggestion to remove flat surface tops (table) between listening spot and your system. What if the sub was located in the centre ?

Quality speakers by the way, very nice.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:49 pm 

Kwad,
So far, I haven't added any diffusion materials yet. The projector screen is 28" behind the speakers and would easily fit approx 2" of material behind. I was thinking of a bass trap in the rear corner as well and I've removed the side table.
Phar,
The coffee table has to remain but I can float some kind of covering idea past the boss... If that doesn't work, a furnishing makeover is an easy sell. Haha.. The sub is set up as part of the HT system and not the 2ch. I did contemplate trying it as I was looking for deeper bass but the new room dynamics has more than done the job.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:22 pm 

Final pic before room treatments...

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 201.19 KiB | Viewed 4797 times ]