Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:16 am 

bluejazz wrote:
zhenya01 wrote:
Most panel manufacturers have some kind of software or offer a free service regarding where and which panels should be placed in your room. Installing panels and bass traps is not that simple - you can kill the whole room acoustics, make the room sound like a casket from the inside - i.e. no refelections at all. Of course, someone can come, install panels behind your speakers, behind your listening chair and at first reflection points. It will mostly fix highs and mids, but bass trap placement is a whole different game, which is way more difficult than panel placement.

Here is one example of room analysis, but there are many more available online:
http://www.atsacoustics.com/page--Free- ... --ora.html

Do they sell them in Toronto? or just over the on-line ?

I'm not sure, you'll have to contact them to check for local distributors. To me the brand name does not matter. I have two 2" ASC panels in my theater (6'x4' if I remember correctly) and 6 home-made (2" with 1" gap) made of Owens Corning 703 (brand name for OFI 48 glass fibre insulation). As long as the panels are designed for their intended purpose and placement in a room, and placed in correct position, brand name is just a brand name.
You can buy OFI 48 anywhere. For example, there is a factory in Etobicoke that makes it: http://www.glasscellisofab.com/en/glass.html#a3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:38 pm 

kwadzilla wrote:
EQ can be good, but only effective at one spot in the room which is OK if you're the only one you're EQ'ing for 8)

That's the only thing I would disagree with in your post. There's a few highly sophisticated REQ's now that can balance bass performance to be the best possible over multiple seats. Generally they do far more good than harm.
Granted it can be a compromise to the MLP, but with EQ's like Audyssey XT32 "Pro" you can save measurements and use one set for MLP listening and another for multi-seat movies etc.,

For accurate bass (in my opinion) the formula is; drivers or subs that are accurate down to the Hz & SPL you want to listen to + placement + room treatments + EQ.

It is truly amazing what happens to the rest of the sound spectrum once the bass is addressed.

I agree with the earlier poster about the guys with expensive gear in a barren room wondering what to upgrade next, it's a bit of chasing your tail.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:39 pm 

rnrgagne wrote:
kwadzilla wrote:
EQ can be good, but only effective at one spot in the room which is OK if you're the only one you're EQ'ing for 8)

That's the only thing I would disagree with in your post. There's a few highly sophisticated REQ's now that can balance bass performance to be the best possible over multiple seats. Generally they do far more good than harm.
Granted it can be a compromise to the MLP, but with EQ's like Audyssey XT32 "Pro" you can save measurements and use one set for MLP listening and another for multi-seat movies etc.,

For accurate bass (in my opinion) the formula is; drivers or subs that are accurate down to the Hz & SPL you want to listen to + placement + room treatments + EQ.

It is truly amazing what happens to the rest of the sound spectrum once the bass is addressed.

I agree with the earlier poster about the guys with expensive gear in a barren room wondering what to upgrade next, it's a bit of chasing your tail.

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of EQs that could save multiple setting and balance the response in multiple locations.

The earlier poster was me as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:31 am 

People often talk of getting great sound in multiple seating locations,in my exspearience there always is only one sweet spot.I have only heard great sound in only one carefully placed chair,it is physicly impossible to have good imaging in more than one spot.Treating multiple seating rooms will help to tame peaks and valleys in frequency range,but in a critical listening room only one chair is ever used.The only part of the room I focus my treatments on is where the chair is.I'm always the only one in my critical listening room with my eyes closed,wide smile enjoying perfect imaging,wide soundstage with instiments in proper positions.These things are not easy to achieve with one chair,impossible with two or more,If entertaining is the goal you will have to have compromised sound,but treatments will always help,good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:13 am 

How many people know what is proper sound stage and imaging? I have listened to many systems with the mouth of the vocalist like 2 ft above the floor. Many people came to my 20 ft. wide room saying the sound stage is not wide enough while listening to a simple jazz music with one vocal and two pieces of instrument. They want the instruments beyond the side walls.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:53 pm 

Zipp wrote:
People often talk of getting great sound in multiple seating locations,in my exspearience there always is only one sweet spot.I have only heard great sound in only one carefully placed chair,it is physicly impossible to have good imaging in more than one spot.Treating multiple seating rooms will help to tame peaks and valleys in frequency range,but in a critical listening room only one chair is ever used.The only part of the room I focus my treatments on is where the chair is.I'm always the only one in my critical listening room with my eyes closed,wide smile enjoying perfect imaging,wide soundstage with instiments in proper positions.These things are not easy to achieve with one chair,impossible with two or more,If entertaining is the goal you will have to have compromised sound,but treatments will always help,good luck.

It is actually possible to have multi-seat sweet spot if active equalizer is used. Sure, I have seen you arguing against that, but it works great in the theater where you pretty much have no choice, but setup for 3-6 people.