Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Got Room Treatment?
Do you have a dedicated listening room? 35%  35%  [ 98 ]
Do you have room treatments in the listening area? 33%  33%  [ 91 ]
Do you plan on treating your listening area or adding more room treatments within the next year? 22%  22%  [ 61 ]
Did you use software to measure the room for acoustic flatness? 11%  11%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 280
 Post subject: Re: Room Treatment Poll
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:52 am 

My house is too small for a dedicated listening room as all the spare space was already taken up with other hobbies. However I have treated the living room with bass traps and panels in the oppropriate places. Sound is much improved and this was easily the best money I've spent in this hobby.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:03 am 

Room treatments have made the biggest improvement in my audio life.I didn't measure my room but plan to in the future.Some are really going to turn this in to rocket science and believe me with this topic you could split the atom.For me I just did a lot of reading and started out with the basics that Acoustic experts like GIK and Ready acoustics suggest.This can be as easy as taming first and second reflection points.The ultimate goal is a flat frequency response but we still need to tame flutter echo..

Here are my inspiration videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D66v5JC0eVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4paIPqORvdc

Attachments:
GIK_labeled.jpg
GIK_labeled.jpg [ 133.22 KiB | Viewed 1086 times ]

Last edited by Itsnotluck on Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:15 am 

I don't have room problems, there being enough 'living' items, full couch, etc. to avoid any bare room issues ... which some seem to be "addressing" with room panels and what not.\

However as a general note on room treatments, the need is a consequence of the near ubiquitous wide dispersion model, especially in the highs, that everyone has convinced themselves is 'the' way a speaker should be designed.

Get yourself in a small room with a big Tannoy and be amazed it is anything but a mess ... reason ... the dispersion pattern is a lobe of energy beamed at you. What reflections there are are largely inconsequential.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:49 am 

First off, I am glad so see some interest in the room acoustics section!! I love this stuff. :twisted: I can link up a bunch of other vids in another thread if anyone wants 'em. I design rooms for fun on the side. I am one of the over the top science guys. 8)

Since someone asked for examples here is my ground up audio centric designed HT room. :) DIY rear wall QRD diffusers coming as soon as I can get into the garage. Come on spring! Pretty much everything in my room was DIY (except for the fixed frame acoustically transparent screen)

I made literally everything from scratch, and measured at every step. Sorry for the big pic format.

CAD Drawings (decided not to do screen trimout)

Pre room finish design acoustic treatment render.

Closeup of DIY soundproof french doors. Over 100lbs each with 2 panes of 1/4" laminated glass. 3" Thick with 2 layers of 3/4" MDF sanwiching insulation.

Absorbtion, Poly, Absorbtion.

Behind screen wall a 74" wide 10" Deep N23 QRD diffuser.

N23 QRD Seen better tested in my 2ch room.

Corner and SBIR traps.

Frequency response at MLP with mains and subs playing dual mono pink noise (low bass hot intentionally :) ) No EQ.

Room Decay time

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:52 am 

b3733366 wrote:
I don't have room problems, there being enough 'living' items, full couch, etc. to avoid any bare room issues ... which some seem to be "addressing" with room panels and what not.\

However as a general note on room treatments, the need is a consequence of the near ubiquitous wide dispersion model, especially in the highs, that everyone has convinced themselves is 'the' way a speaker should be designed.

Get yourself in a small room with a big Tannoy and be amazed it is anything but a mess ... reason ... the dispersion pattern is a lobe of energy beamed at you. What reflections there are are largely inconsequential.

While narrow or constant-directivity (or controlled-directivity) speakers certainly help with side reflections, they still suffer from the rear-wall, front-wall, and of course bass related room issues.

Not to mention they sometimes come with a very narrow sweet spot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:56 am 

b3733366 wrote:

I too have have a big a&& couch in my room.While this probably plays a roll in the room it really has nothing
to do with early reflections off the side walls,behind your speakers,the ceiling, and off the back wall behind your head.Audiophiles have no problem discussing power cables for 30 pages yet some won't even sniff at the thought of putting up 8 panels.
-

-- Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:02 pm --

That is some serious work Serenity !!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:19 pm 

Yep I'd put room treatments against any power cable(s) :lol:.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:55 pm 

Nice looking room, Serenity now!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:14 pm 

Is there any way to have 'yes' and 'no' answers in a poll like this because you're not getting any indicators of people who might not be able to tick any of the boxes (like me).

p.s. Beautiful room, Serenity_now, but where's the popcorn, and bar? :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:51 pm 

Philosophil wrote:

p.s. Beautiful room, Serenity_now, but where's the popcorn, and bar? :D

Getting off topic, but since you asked.... :lol: Still on the hunt for a better popcorn machine though.

outside room

bar stool row

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:16 pm 

My old listening room was naturally treated with a rug and curtains. It was very dead compared to my new listening room pictured. This is a before picture. After is pending. I've got two prjoects on the go. One is making an audio rack with the butcher blocks the gear is sitting on and the other is making a couple diffusers. So I am having the panels made by Mike that posts ads on CAM here. I'll probably be adding to the bass traps, but starting with one corner trapped and four panels. I will have a diffuser in the middle of the front wall and the back of the room will have heavy curtains.

One thing is apparent without having to measure anything, the decay time is enormous. Made evident by the clap test and speaking loudly being accompanied by slight ringing. Luckily I cannot entertain a parallel acoustic treatment solution. Which would look a lot cleaner, but not solve my flutter echo. And I only say luckily because my wonderful lady is letting me treat this room how I please and the only way I can go about it will likely be the most effective, but not as visually pleasing. I think symmetrical room treatments look fantastic, but from my understanding do cause issues with imaging. Of course nothing could be worse than a bare hard surfaced room like I've got now. But this is day two in this room..

Attachments:
IMG_20160325_175251.jpg
IMG_20160325_175251.jpg [ 212.17 KiB | Viewed 1034 times ]
IMG_20160324_184837.jpg
IMG_20160324_184837.jpg [ 273.86 KiB | Viewed 1034 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:12 pm 

Panels in back of speakers and on back walls, curtains, rugs, books and cd shelves that work as diffusers.... My room is 13 x 24 and speakers are on the long wall. Since i have the long wall set up, i believe its the best control on bass I ever had. I listen to a lot of jazz and bass control is critical.

I have an opening at my right and this is my next step. I will likely do the same as itsnotluck ( Hi Dave!) and try to find a panel that can be removed when not in use to block the open space... Something like a 6 feet height panel in fabric... Not sure what its going to add but I need to try it.

I love what I hear. Room treatment and speaker/listening positioning has been key to this enjoyment. I dont measure, i go by ear and my taste. I respect those who do measure but for me, i like to keep it by ear.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 pm 

Yippedidou wrote:
Panels in back of speakers and on back walls, curtains, rugs, books and cd shelves that work as diffusers.... My room is 13 x 24 and speakers are on the long wall. Since i have the long wall set up, i believe its the best control on bass I ever had. I listen to a lot of jazz and bass control is critical.

I have an opening at my right and this is my next step. I will likely do the same as itsnotluck ( Hi Dave!) and try to find a panel that can be removed when not in use to block the open space... Something like a 6 feet height panel in fabric... Not sure what its going to add but I need to try it.

I love what I hear. Room treatment and speaker/listening positioning has been key to this enjoyment. I dont measure, i go by ear and my taste. I respect those who do measure but for me, i like to keep it by ear.

Or you could do this....a solution for a missing wall..a custom sliding door from Lowes but you are stuck with only 7 ft. height.I eventually plan to hang a panel from the ceiling in addition to the sliding door which is in the second reflection zone.I also apologize for the colour it is very different but not as bad looking as the picture shows.Since the sliding door does not close fully to the back of the room my source equipment (which is hidden behind the door) still works with my remotes.The equipment rack is on concrete and protected from sound waves by this movable wall and I get ZERO vibration in my components.A long balanced out goes to my amp between my speakers and that is all there is to clutter up my soundstage..You are looking at the missing portion of my lefthand wall

Attachment:
IMG_0818.jpg
IMG_0818.jpg [ 322.52 KiB | Viewed 998 times ]

Attachments:
IMG_0817.jpg
IMG_0817.jpg [ 184.07 KiB | Viewed 998 times ]

Last edited by Itsnotluck on Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:20 pm 

Now THAT is a cool idea. Good workaround!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:23 pm 

It really helped to balance the room.Can't believe how bad the colour came across in the photo its actually much deeper than that.There is still so much work to do in my room.The DIY panels were a lot more work than I anticipated but so worth it.Probably 6 more panels,cover my super chunk bass traps and then I'm going to buy some GIK diffusers.

BTW Serenity do you have a plan for your poly diffuser build....

Your room looks stunning,have you ever thought about putting up a cloud?

Last edited by Itsnotluck on Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next