Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:46 am 

Thanks Vince,
The design and implementation really intrigues me, I did notice you found some Basotect from Glasscellisofab, I was sourcing my semi-rigid fiber from them a few years back....but as you stated, expensive, limited supply, and limited dimensions. I can't help but think there must be a suitable substitute to be found here in Canada. The two products referenced, Basotect and the ISO-bond product, have very different densities and physical structures, one being a foam product and the other fibrous, both appear to work well. I imagine that there must be something we can use to try this design, I will be keeping my eyes peeled for possible candidates.
I am in a different house now and starting fresh in a 15x15x8 room, nightmarish dimensions acoustically! I have also purchased a measurement mic and REW software and have started measuring and experimenting in the room just a few days ago, starting of course with the bass. So far I've managed to do some tests with some semi-rigid fiber straddling two corners floor to ceiling and knocked back 70-80Hz quite a bit, 40-50 Hz however, has not been effected to any great degree. It's obvious to me that all but the thickest superchunk style build will do much at that frequency, btw....my straddling panels amount to 8" thick. I think a couple of large shiny plates may be more acceptable than two giant superchunk corners.

I will keep trying to find something usable....may have to just start by buying a plate and doing some tests with various materials. Anyone know somebody in the yoga matt business? Basotect is very similar, or...magic erasers...same stuff, there has to be an industry that uses that stuff in quantity, just a matter of getting them to sell some! Let me know if you make any inroads, I'll do the same!

Shawn