Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am 

Who is Bob Hodas?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:13 am 

hifikid wrote:
Simple furnishings does the trick also , maybe not as good as a dedicated sound room .

Hmmm... Maybe a market for audio grade furniture... :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:54 am 

Don't know him or heard of him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:20 am 

Because this thread was started 5 years ago I checked to see if he was still alive...
Well he is and is still selling his services and products.
http://www.bobhodas.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:52 am 

At the end of the day it's all about the music. When it becomes mostly about the sound and audio system than it defeats the purpose. It's like anything else you really enjoy but it should never be about being obsessed or consumed with one thing. I love the idea of always having an audio system I enjoy listening to in order to enjoy the music.

Definition of an audiophile (the negative connotation) = When it becomes mostly about the sound and audio system and less and less about the music. $20K system, $200 worth of vinyl that sounds good enough to test the sound. I mean, if you can never achieve what you want you either don't know what you want or your expectations are unrealistic.

As it is our expectations are often unrealistic. Were we in the studios when our fav albums were recorded? We have an idea of how the record should sound and what the engineers were going for but there is no absolute. We just know good sound that's pleasing to our ears.

The most ironic thing about two channel audio buyers is that some of us depend heavily on the opinion of others. I mean, we can't audition every single component before buying so it makes sense right? Wrong. Take guidance but always go by your own impression. There is no right and wrong. Ok, I got draw the line with Bose because that's a big bowl of wrong. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:10 am 

buddha wrote:
Because this thread was started 5 years ago I checked to see if he was still alive...
Well he is and is still selling his services and products.
http://www.bobhodas.com

Bob Hodas. The name sounds more like a car dealership, Bob Hodas Chev/Olds.. Bob has his opinions. :arrow: :?:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:22 am 

If it really was "all about the music" then you wouldn't have more than a radio, or your MP3 player with stock headphones.

I can dig Saturday mornings with the Bose Bluetooth player kindly regurgitating music from my iPhone's YouTube app. It won't wake the neighbours, it's convenient, and I can hear what I need to hear perfectly well. Sadly, on Friday and Saturday nights this won't do and I'm forced to play it all over on the big rig.

As it pertains to room treatments, the focus of this thread, they serve two purposes. First, they let me hear more of the music and less of the room. Our condo is very live with a wide flutter echo so when the music gets turned up it starts to ring, which is annoying; the music starts to pierce. By lowering the noise of the room, the music becomes clearer and I'm drawn into it more than before. I also, now, don't have to turn it up as much because the dynamic contrasts have improved.

This leads to the second purpose, that if I'm not turning it up as much then I'm not disturbing others as much.

But, to get back to my point... stop saying that upgrading gear or being fussy about the acoustics of the room means you don't enjoy the music. If anything, it's because you enjoy it more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:30 am 

I would go even further and say people who are dedicated to making their space sound better are also dedicated to the media they reproduce. Home theater really shines when attention to acoustics is paid. Saying those who focus on sound quality from a scientific perspective dont really enjoy their medium is a little silly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:41 am 

kwadzilla wrote:
If it really was "all about the music" then you wouldn't have more than a radio, or your MP3 player with stock headphones.

I can dig Saturday mornings with the Bose Bluetooth player kindly regurgitating music from my iPhone's YouTube app. It won't wake the neighbours, it's convenient, and I can hear what I need to hear perfectly well. Sadly, on Friday and Saturday nights this won't do and I'm forced to play it all over on the big rig.

As it pertains to room treatments, the focus of this thread, they serve two purposes. First, they let me hear more of the music and less of the room. Our condo is very live with a wide flutter echo so when the music gets turned up it starts to ring, which is annoying; the music starts to pierce. By lowering the noise of the room, the music becomes clearer and I'm drawn into it more than before. I also, now, don't have to turn it up as much because the dynamic contrasts have improved.

This leads to the second purpose, that if I'm not turning it up as much then I'm not disturbing others as much.

But, to get back to my point... stop saying that upgrading gear or being fussy about the acoustics of the room means you don't enjoy the music. If anything, it's because you enjoy it more.

I get your point but it starts with the music. My point was that if all one listens to is exceptionally well engineered albums so his system sounds good than what's the point. Also, put together a system that sounds great and leave it there at least for a long while before swapping out components. Enjoy it once you get close to what you want. Once you find your obsessed with getting the sound right then you have defeated the purpose of listening to great music on a system that's pleasing to your ears. You can be an audiophile and enjoy listening to music. As for your listening room or space, other than using room treatments, carpeting etc.. not much you can do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:32 am 

Regardless of what the point and purpose happens to be, reality is that even in my "very much less than ideal" room set-up, which includes no 'defined' room treatment, there are times that listening to the music just to listen to the music can be fatiguing if the room acoustics are really off.

I can personally live with less than the best possible sound, but cannot live with a setup that creates fatigue just being on.

Like many, I cannot afford the dedicated room, cannot afford the more zeros in the price than zeros in the Donald's IQ, and refuse to have the couch balanced on top of the fridge and the coffee table in the bathroom to suit someone's idea of what I should do.

I do what I can and still want the coffee table in the room even if it means my subpar system sounds subpar to you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:26 am 

Being single I have a lot more flexibility in how my room looks. The first thing I did was remove my coffee table in front of the couch and put my coffee on a side table. Then I removed a love seat that was on the side, improved the sound a little more (more balanced and with more focused imaging). Then I replaced the couch with a ht recliner and added blackout curtains on the sides (system also used for ht). This seems to have widened the soundstage. I haven't put anything behind and between the speakers as I have a Plasma tv there. The rear wall behind my head has a shelf with a front projector on it so I can't treat that wall either. That leaves the corners for bass traps but I was concerned about over damping my room (carpet, two side walls covered by curtains) so I left the corners alone.

I am pleased with my system and unless I move the 2ch to another room, I think I am done with room treatments. I have also done some tweaking with ic's, power cords, speaker cables, wall receptacles and covers, power conditioner, wyred4sound recovery digital femto reclocker, footers and cones, sand filled rack, magnetic levitating turntable stand, record weight, magic crystals, pixie dust ...

Another thing I tried is to put extra weight (40 lb maple butcher block) on top of my Axiom sub and it has tightened up the bass. This is probably due to reducing vibrations in the cabinet. Others have suggested putting weight on top of components to dampen vibrations, another cheap tweak to try instead of buying new components. I have also put boards between my Acoustat 2+2 speakers and the ceiling, tightly wedging them in place in an attempt to reduce vibrations in them as well. I think this has worked but it is hard to tell. It cost nothing to try so why not.

I haven't tried the audiophile ear cleaning kit yet but that is on the list. Bob Hodas would probably agree.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:07 am 

IMHO: Speakers with a smooth off axis rolloff are more important to the sonics at the listening position then randomly placed damping material of unknown frequency absorption.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:31 am 

jn229 wrote:
IMHO: Speakers with a smooth off axis rolloff are more important to the sonics at the listening position then randomly placed damping material of unknown frequency absorption.

It doesnt have to be random. If you know what you are doing everything is figured out before framing starts.... Nothing random in my (almost) finished room. :) Sconces are centered on my treatments. Had to map out acoustics prebuild.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:41 pm 

Chuck Lee wrote:
And setting up the speakers on the diagonal costs nothing, and accomplishes the same.

Nothing to fear,except the wrath from the folks who set up the conventional way .

…My experiences with speaker set ups in 14 different rooms across 6 homes (business moves)….. only 1 time was industrial strength room treatment needed.Provided a room is not overloaded with too much speaker,& there is some flexibility with room furnishings ( rugs,record racks,sofas,drapes and cushions) as well as speaker placement (diagonal ^^,slight offset,or floor coupling of some stand mounts),most acoustic issues can be managed……maybe not perfect but close enough……..Applying room equalization software (REW) in some situations can help fine tune speaker positioning….

(Cableguy)
Quote:
It's all about lifestyle balance

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:28 am 

Serenity_now wrote:
I would go even further and say people who are dedicated to making their space sound better are also dedicated to the media they reproduce. Home theater really shines when attention to acoustics is paid. Saying those who focus on sound quality from a scientific perspective dont really enjoy their medium is a little silly.

Exactly.

Especially when time and time again I listen to expensive rigs and they sound like **** compared to my punny, properly set up, overbuilt in the right places system in its dedicated room. Having said that, one of the best experiences was JBL LSR 305s (cheap actives) in my friend's treated studio. 300 bucks or something on the gear compared to like 8k or so for my crap (I downsized on amps and got rid of some uneeded sources dacs and some extra floor standers)