Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:27 am 

http://hometheaterreview.com/why-are-so ... bob-hodas/

Quote:
In the end, knowing that your system is performing its best is something to be proud of. The studios that master and make the movies and music that you enjoy the most live up to this standard and at a certain point audiophiles and home theater enthusiasts should to. Possibly the most compelling reason to embrace room treatment and room tuning is the fact that it is the most cost effective solution money can buy today. With your room tuned - you can upgrade gear knowing that your room is solid. If you want to make changes to the tuning - that's always an option, but the increasingly expensive gear that you buy sounds even better in a well done room. Amazingly, you can get better overall performance from less expensive equipment when your room is in order.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:08 am 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

Because many audioFOOLS believe that the gear is the only thing that matters.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:37 am 

And setting up the speakers on the diagonal costs nothing, and accomplishes the same.

Nothing to fear,except the wrath from the folks who set up the conventional way .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:16 am 

I might be scared of him too, if I knew him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:23 am 

He sounds like a guy who can handle the truth.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:04 am 

Us "AudioFools" as so elequently stated have nothing to fear but fear itself..
That and ignorance!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:33 am 

How many people (especially those with families) have a dedicated listening room? It's all well and good to write about the simple fix of getting rid of the coffee table ("Bob hates coffee tables!") but when your system is in you living room and you occasionally like to have a coffee practicality reigns. I have no doubt room treatments would improve my sound but I like my furniture and my artwork and my wife. In the end, I focus on the gear.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:04 am 
Premium User

IJHB wrote:
How many people (especially those with families) have a dedicated listening room? It's all well and good to write about the simple fix of getting rid of the coffee table ("Bob hates coffee tables!") but when your system is in you living room and you occasionally like to have a coffee practicality reigns. I have no doubt room treatments would improve my sound but I like my furniture and my artwork and my wife. In the end, I focus on the gear.

I have agonized over where to put my new two channel system but ultimately settled on the basement theatre room where the acoustics trump any other room by a long shot. Plus, I can tuck the gear in the adjacent room. But no solution is perfect:

1) the room has no windows and is in the basement; not that pleasant
2) somewhat antisocial
3) not able to use for background music while puttering
4) long speaker cables

But in the end it was the right decision for me. Who knows, maybe I will eventually mellow out and sacrifice some sound quality for a more social space. But for now, it is nice to know that I am getting the best sound in the house.

Last edited by Tangram on Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:06 am 

angust63 wrote:
http://hometheaterreview.com/why-are-some-audiophiles-scared-of-bob-hodas/

Quote:
In the end, knowing that your system is performing its best is something to be proud of. The studios that master and make the movies and music that you enjoy the most live up to this standard and at a certain point audiophiles and home theater enthusiasts should to. Possibly the most compelling reason to embrace room treatment and room tuning is the fact that it is the most cost effective solution money can buy today. With your room tuned - you can upgrade gear knowing that your room is solid. If you want to make changes to the tuning - that's always an option, but the increasingly expensive gear that you buy sounds even better in a well done room. Amazingly, you can get better overall performance from less expensive equipment when your room is in order.

100% Agree on this. I see people spend insane amounts of gear and yet they put the speakers up against the wall, neglect room treatment, all for what? Better cables?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:12 pm 

IJHB wrote:

+1

Scolding people for not having a dedicated listening room seems a little misdirected in my books. My main listening space is the living room as well, so I'm in the same boat. Do the best with what you have, and no one should condemn you for that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:17 pm 
Manufacturer/Sponsor

It's all about lifestyle balance ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:10 pm 

and fun......

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:17 pm 

Audiophile-a guy that likes audio. Big deal. Saying you're an audiophile here is like going on North Shore Mountain Biking and saying "Well, I am a Cyclist..." Gee, no foolin'.

Anyway, your room is another enclosure, usually filled with hot air.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:39 pm 

Tangram wrote:
1) the has no windows and is in the basement; not that pleasant
2) somewhat antisocial
3) not able to use for background music while puttering
4) long speaker cables

But in the end it was the right decision for me. Who knows, may eI will eventually mellow out and sacrifice some sound quality for a more social space. But for now, it is nice to know that I am getting the best sound in the house.

Isn't listening to music a somewhat anti social event on its own? When the stereo is sounding great and I am enjoying it, people talking over it kinda pi$$es me off, to be honest. If I want to be sociable, I will have people over upstairs with the in-ceiling speakers playing background music while I enjoy my guests.......but if you wanna hear the system I put so much time and effort into, please, just listen and enjoy, request songs, get into it. If it doesn't float your boat, the background music is on upstairs, please close the door when you leave. I'll be in the basement..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:12 pm 

you are all so right..music is to be enjoyed where ever you can, whether it is equipment or a special room doesn't mean nothing, whatever keeps you smiling is all that counts... as for been an audiophile, no worse than been called a techno junkie...!!!
I have a rule in my place, you must knock before entering my listening room, I will not be disturbed.. if I wanted to be disturbed... I would be upstairs... so tread carefully when you hear the tunes...this is my space.