Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:19 pm 

I have absolutely no experience with either bass traps or sound absorbers. Can someone help guide me to determine what I need? My room is approximately 11' by 28' with 7' ceilings. The ceilings are made of cheap ceiling tiles. My speakers are in a 8 feet apart and my listening spot is about 10 feet away with about 14 feet till back of the wall behind my listening seat. How do I determine what I need? The walls are just drywall and the flooring is carpet. My speakers are Paradigm monitor 9's v6.

Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 09, Hitachi HMA 8300, Technics SP DL6, Acoustic Research Classic Model 26, Harman Kardon HK340, Yamaha M50, KEF IQ1, Shuyanta Research Diamondback 2.0, Energy interconnects, Aural Thrills Bass Boss Interconnects

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:38 pm 

Check out GIK acoustics,very reasonable pricing,or if you have lots of coin,there is realtraps about 2X the price of Gik.
they always say you can't have enough bass traps for the corners.hope the above helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:30 pm 
Premium User

Lots of guys with splendid ideas about sond absorption and control on CAM as well as AudioAsylum and AudioKharma.
Try to seek out a CAMMer named "stereoitis". He'll give you very good ideas about what to do and how!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:21 am 

Hey Andrew01
I recently went through the same thing. Overall, it can be an expensive proposition if you don't DIY your panels and traps, but the improvement in listening environment is incredible. The first thing you need to do is an analysis. I hired Jim from Audiolabs, a CAM advertiser http://www.audiolabs.ca/Audiolabs.ca/Home.html who is a professional sound engineer. He is based in Cambridge, ON so a site visit is out of the question, but he will still be able to give you advice based on diagrams and an interview. His rates are reasonable. Some of the acoustic supply companies also offer analysis based on a diagram. GIK was mentioned already. I have purchased corner traps and diffusors from them. Shipping is a little expensive as they are US based, but their products and service are second to none! Another avenue is Ready Acoustics https://readyacoustics.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=26_7_5 They have some cool DIY products, but I'm not sure if it is a one man show or if they are very busy, but I have been waiting for an order of Ready Bags for over a month now. Cool product, but apparently they don't make much on the DIY stuff so aren't in any rush to make them. If you are handy, here is another option: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyYUpkpL0gw. The video was made by Joel from Ready Acoustics. It looks pretty simple if you have any DIY skills at all. I can direct you to a supply of Owens Corning 700 series insulation to make panels in Ontario. Otherwise, I would check the OC website. I am in the middle of my sound room acoustic balancing/upgrade and so far I am very pleased with the results. The detail and the balance to the music has improved significantly. I can't wait until it is finished.
Good Luck,

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:44 am 

1. I strongly recommend you position your speakers according to the procedure found in a Vandersteen owners manual. You can download one on his site. That will minimize the need for bass traps.
2. Treat your 1st & 2nd reflections.
3. Measure your frequency response curve to see if there is indeed a need for bass traps.

Once I got the speaker placement sorted out, my boom disappeared. I built some absorption panels and mounted them on the front and side walls. Got out my SPL meter, put in my test CD and made my measurements. No bass hump. That is all I did, and I had no need at all for ugly bass traps.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/view_ima ... id=1426808

Last edited by dnlyko on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:04 am 

Thanks for all the great replies. I don't want to spend too much money. I will seek out stereoitis and see what he has to say. If I could get away with just doing sound absorbers I will.

Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 09, Hitachi HMA 8300, Technics SP DL6, Acoustic Research Classic Model 26, Harman Kardon HK340, Yamaha M50, KEF IQ1, Shuyanta Research Diamondback 2.0, Energy interconnects, Aural Thrills Bass Boss Interconnects

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:09 am 

The former Cheif Engineer for Harman International, Floyd Toole, suggest using 2 subwoofers to eliminate Bass standing waves. They cancel each other out and it sounds like a cooler way to spend your money. Prior to working for Harman, Floyd use to conduct double blind listening test at National Research Council (NRC; Ottawa, Canada), with Paul Barton (Founder of PSB Speakers).

Check out this article
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/bas/0609/

"Omissions aside, the book offers much that is very helpful. For example, it delivers a fine analysis of subwoofer behavior in small rooms and I agree completely with Toole when it comes to smoothing the overall response by sensible placement and the use of more than one. The multiple-subwoofer issue mostly involves listening rooms that are built to accommodate a group of listeners/viewers. I am pretty sure that most home-theater enthusiasts do not have that many seats. Thus, the need for multiple subwoofers might not be all that great for most of them. Two are not a bad idea, in any case."

and these podcasts are really good.

Check out episodes 14 with Floyd Toole

and Episode 6 on Bass Traps

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/home ... d348527831

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:25 am 

tkubon wrote:
The former Cheif Engineer for Harman International, Floyd Toole, suggest using 2 subwoofers to eliminate Bass standing waves. They cancel each other out and it sounds like a cooler way to spend your money. Prior to working for Harman, Floyd use to conduct double blind listening test at National Research Council (NRC; Ottawa, Canada), with Paul Barton (Founder of PSB Speakers).

3 or 4 subs is really the way to go. The bass distribution method produces remarkable results.

Guys will think its about HT like bass creating foundation cracks in your house and in fact it has very little to do with bass. The distributed subs improve the main bass from your system and at the same time improve midrange and high frequency performance. While increasing the size and scale of the soundstage.

marc mc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:27 am 

marc mc wrote:
tkubon wrote:

3 or 4 subs is really the way to go. The bass distribution method produces remarkable results.

Guys will think its about HT like bass creating foundation cracks in your house and in fact it has very little to do with bass. The distributed subs improve the main bass from your system and at the same time improve midrange and high frequency performance. While increasing the size and scale of the soundstage.

marc mc

That's absolutely right, Floyd said 4 was optimal, 2 was minimum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:36 am 

Well I do not want to buy subs. I have had a sub before and I liked it but after listening to music without a sub, I much prefer no sub. So I won't buy any subs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:02 am 

andrew01 wrote:
Well I do not want to buy subs. I have had a sub before and I liked it but after listening to music without a sub, I much prefer no sub. So I won't buy any subs.

I agree 100% with your opinion of "one" sub in a system. One creates more problems than it solves. While 4 solves the problems you didn't know you had.

It's too bad so many tried "one" and think that more subs means adding more bass. When nothing could be farther from the truth.

As for your question I would make the DIY stuff and save a pant load of money.

BTW I hope at some point you get to hear a distributed bass set up.

marc mc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:35 am 

andrew01 wrote:

This reminds me of my 4 year old who tells me he doesn't want to eat blueberries because he doesn't like them, even though he's never tried it. :lol:

....of course I'm only kidding. I don't even have 2 subs myself. The real problem with the 2 & 4 sub set up is getting it past your wife. Just try telling her that it would be like having 4 coffee tables in the corners of the room.

Another interesting thing about the multiple subwoofer approach is that the shape of the room doesn't even matter. It works no matter the shape. Basically if you have ever sat in the narrow sweet spot while using one sub using multiple subs makes it sound like that wherever you sit in the room.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:07 am 
Premium User

tkubon wrote:
andrew01 wrote:

This reminds me of my 4 year old who tells me he doesn't want to eat blueberries because he doesn't like them, even though he's never tried it. :lol:

....of course I'm only kidding. I don't even have 2 subs myself. The real problem with the 2 & 4 sub set up is getting it past your wife. Just try telling her that it would be like having 4 coffee tables in the corners of the room.

Another interesting thing about the multiple subwoofer approach is that the shape of the room doesn't even matter. It works no matter the shape. Basically if you have ever sat in the narrow sweet spot while using one sub using multiple subs makes it sound like that wherever you sit in the room.

PSSSSSTTTT tkubon, I don't think that Andrew01 has a wife yet ....... ya see, IIRC he is only 16!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Getting something past his mom is more likely. Good to see the younger set getting into hi-fi.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:36 am 

Well I would have no problem with getting it past either of my parents. Its just that right now I am upgrading speakers and possibly getting some sound absorbers. I recently listened to a dealers system (6 sons audio) and he had a big room with great equipment and lots of sound absorbers and an mj acoustics sub. The set up was beautiful but even with such a nice sub I thought it was okay but for around 1000 it seems to me to be s huge waste of money. First of all I can only hook up a sub with speaker line in connections and I think I couldn't hook up more than one sub. Plus the cost of buying 2 or more descent subs would be ridiculous. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:51 pm 

Study how mastering studios treat their rooms. They tend to minimize the first reflections behind the speakers, left and right walls, and ceiling. The rear wall is usually diffused.